General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Repair costs on Trans AM/Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair costs on Trans AM/Camaro

Just curious. Anyone have any estimates on how much repairs would cost if you took your F-Body to a shop? Stuff like spark plugs and other maintenance items, cooling system stuff, etc, etc.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The beauty of these cars is that they are relatively easy to work on yourself.

Half the fun in owning a 4th gen is working on it yourself.

If thats not an option repairs and maintenance are about the same as most other cars.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

My local GM dealership charges $85 an hour for labor, but I trust them to do a good job. Give them a call to see their prices for various maintenance such as flushes and tune ups.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car will never go to a dealer. They drive them, they scratch them, there parts are high, labors expensive. I mean spark plugs?.....really.

It has never even been on a dealer lot for more than a few minutes. 1st owner picked it up off the truck. She was a cool chick. Happy to have her sloppy seconds.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ x100
Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
My car will never go to a dealer. They drive them, they scratch them, there parts are high, labors expensive. I mean spark plugs?.....really.

It has never even been on a dealer lot for more than a few minutes. 1st owner picked it up off the truck. She was a cool chick. Happy to have her sloppy seconds.
Wouldn't go to the Chevy dealership. Would go to the independent corvette dealership, since I know several people who go there for regular maintenance and have nothing but good things to say.

I mean, I would do general stuff like shocks, struts, radiator flush, oil change, etc, etc. But I'm not set up to do bigger jobs like building a motor, cam swap, etc.

Ugh, still torn between a '02 Camaro SS or an '02 WS6 for my next ride.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan C
My local GM dealership charges $85 an hour for labor, but I trust them to do a good job. Give them a call to see their prices for various maintenance such as flushes and tune ups.
I agree. They run 'specials' and this is the best way to get maintenance done if unable or unwilling to do these things yourself. $99 for a Dexcool flush or brake fluid change is an example.
The key is finding the right dealership with good people. I have an excellent dealership near me but there is one mechanic that I don't like. It can be a crapshoot.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use this site and others and do all maintenance yourself. Even if you aren't mechanically inclined you can usually grab a buddy and attempt it yourself
Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Use this site and others and do all maintenance yourself. Even if you aren't mechanically inclined you can usually grab a buddy and attempt it yourself
That's what I've been doing with my Mustang.

Quick Reply: Repair costs on Trans AM/Camaro