General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Going to look at a Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to look at a Trans Am

Well ,posted this in another thread, but what are some of the things I should look for, other than why it has a salvage title? Any funny noises I should be aware of on a cold start?

Here's the details on the car:

2000 WS6 M6, 58k miles, dark blue

MS4 cam with double springs, ceramic headers, texas speed cattless y pipe, SLP LM1 catback, BBK alum intake manifold, SLP lid with K@N filter, hptuners tune

Additional Comments: Car is SALVAGE title( was fixed by reputable shop) car made 379 rwhp with 38x rwtq with a pretty mild tune, silimar set ups are right around 400 wheel
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't think anyone here can help you with such an unusual purchase. A modded salvage title Trans Am can have anything wrong with it. You name it. Where do you even start? A cold start with a modified engine may have sounds not typical of the usual LS1 engine so how could we know unless someone has the exact same mods? I doubt you are worried about the usual 'normal' issues like headlight gears or door panel cracks at this point.
I sure hope you are not paying much for this car. It better be darn cheap to even consider it. Be careful!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I don't think anyone here can help you with such an unusual purchase. A modded salvage title Trans Am can have anything wrong with it. You name it. Where do you even start? A cold start with a modified engine may have sounds not typical of the usual LS1 engine so how could we know unless someone has the exact same mods? I doubt you are worried about the usual 'normal' issues like headlight gears or door panel cracks at this point.
I sure hope you are not paying much for this car. It better be darn cheap to even consider it. Be careful!
Never said I was going to buy. Going to look at it and see how it is.

Are there any known problems with the MS4 cam?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Teching In

You say you're going to ask about the salvage title, even before you go meet him, get the VIN and run it so you are as informed as the owner if not more. See if his story coincides with the info on the VIN.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Will do. Also getting the name of the shop it went to so I can talk to them as well.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Turns out the car is owned by a friend of a friend who has seen the car numerous times.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gravik
Never said I was going to buy. Going to look at it and see how it is.

Are there any known problems with the MS4 cam?
I've been running one for years without any problem. It is a top end type of cam and would love a set of 4.11s.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Salvage title are hit or miss. I spent BIG money on my C6 without even seeing it. Luckily everything is ok.I would say just check to make sure the car drives straight and frame isn't bent. Salvage titles never bother me even though this is one I ever owned just check the car up and down
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Alright.

Also, how's the driveability of the MS4 cam? Is it suited for a daily driver?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gravik
Alright.

Also, how's the driveability of the MS4 cam? Is it suited for a daily driver?
the tune on the car will play a huge role in how it daily drives as well as what gears it has
Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd never buy a modded car from anyone.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Went to look at it today. It was definitely fixed right. Hatch opened and closed no problem, headlight motors didn't grind, window motors all worked, etc.

Had an MS4 cam with supporting mods, new oil pump, aluminum intake manifold, ceramic longtubes, o/r y, and SLP LM1. Jesus ******* christ. Loudest street car I have ever heard in person. Put down 379rwhp, 380rwtq on a mild tune.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
I'd never buy a modded car from anyone.
Yeah don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but that's my personal policy. You're getting someone else's project, after all...
Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should also be aware that when you own a car with a cam as large as a MS4 valve spings become a consumable wear item. You'll need to remove and check a few of them every 15k miles or so, and I'd just go ahead and change them if they make it much past 40k regardless of much pressure they still have. It's not a big deal to some people but to others it's more work than they are willing to live with.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

^
That has been one of my concerns and hesitations about buying the car. How is the valve spring life between the MS3 and MS4?

I don't mind buying a modded car as long as it was put together right. My past two cars have been modded when I bought them and I never had any issues.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That's the thing though, you never know until something breaks, or you have running problems. Then, instead of enjoying the car you spend your time and money tracking down problems and fixing things, buying parts, etc. I say buy as close to a non-modded F body that you can find and take it from there (I know they're hard to find but they're out there). That way, you know EXACTLY what's going on with the 'mods as you install them...
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

carfax. If its been wrecked badly and fixed correctly or not I wouldn't touch it. It may not appear to have issues, but go and start taking things apart and you may find things that are covered up, and/or bandaided.

Quick Reply: Going to look at a Trans Am