General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Anyone switch from a dd truck to a dd fbody

Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone switch from a dd truck to a dd fbody

Been considering selling my truck and switching to a fbody. I've rode in a few, but really haven't gotten a good feel for them. Here's a pic of the truck:

It's cammed, stalled, gears, and longtubes. Its all there for the mods, but everytime I come over here and creep on the forums I see people whooping the **** out of the 12's with a couple bolt ons. Honestly, I'm pretty tired of the truck. Tired of a lowered ride.

Has anyone made the switch? If so how'd you like it? Also, what kind of car could i expect to get into for around $7500-8000?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Launching!

My Camaro was my daily driver for years then I got a truck and to be honest I'll never DD anything else. An F-Body is doable as a DD but I'm 6'5" so it got old after a few years. Now it sits in the garage unless it's nice outside. Trucks are a lot easier to work on to. I used to dread doing any kind of maintenance under the hood of the Camaro.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good honest opinions , that's what I like to hear. Anymore?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went from a truck to a jeep to an fbody. Been in a car ever since. Went from my 94z to 01z06 to another 94z, then a 2010 fbody, and got a 98 t/a. In my garage is 01z06 and 93z28, and in the driveway is 2010 camaro and 98 t/a. I really have no use for a truck. If I by chance need one, my dad has a couple and mom has a suv. Which works out for me and I'm only bout 5'9". I just enjoy driving a car and don't care to work on anything gm. My .02
Old 11-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from a 2005 Rumble Bee to a 1999 Z28 as a DD. I wanted to keep the miles low on my truck, and the Camaro already had 129k on it. I wouldn't go back. The car gets right around 30 mpg on the highway (2.73s), nearly twice the gas mileage my truck did. With mixed city and highway, I have NEVER averaged below 25 mpg on a tank. Plus it's a lot more fun for highway runs. Ride quality is pretty good in mine. It's no BMW, but I'm not concerned about that. A few suspension upgrades should leave you satisfied. They creak and groan a little over bumps and whatnot, but as for cruising down the road I don't see much wrong with them. Most people trying to sell these cars in my area are still a little too proud of them, but you should be able to find a 100k mile 99-00 model in your price range. The best deal I've found in my area is a 2000 black T/A six-speed with 97k for $6,500, to give you an idea. Trans Ams seem to run a little higher than Camaros, if that makes any difference to you. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Teching In

I think it really depends on what you're shooting for: fuel economy, comfort, 'fun', etc.

I own both a Z28 and an 07 Silverado, and while neither is my assigned DD, I can honestly say I enjoy driving my truck back and forth to work much more for the sole fact of having to drive in traffic. I have less than a 10 mile commute, all surface streets, so I enjoy the feeling of being in the truck much more. I naturally want to drive faster when I'm in my Camaro, so driving it in 'rush hour' traffic leaves me feeling anxious and frustrated.

I get about equal gas mileage between the two, but my Camaro did do great when I still had the stock 2.73 gears.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, before I had my Camaro I drove an '04 Suburban (my parents). We still have the truck around and I still drive it every now and then, but honestly the only things I miss about it are the ride and extra useful space. Other than that I prefer to daily my F-Body like I do now, so much better.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I went from an s10 to an fbody as a dd and loved the camaro everyday. As long as its running fine, an fbody makes a good dd. I'd like to find a stock m6 as a daily eventually.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I've recently begun to think about doing the opposite, trading my daily driver Z28 for a truck. I've driven trucks on a daily basis in the past, and always found the experience to be enjoyable. A truck offers utility that an F-body can never match.

Having said that, making the switch would be easier for me because I would still have my other Z28 no matter what. I don't think I'd want the truck as a "toy", but as a daily driver it would be an excellent choice for my purposes.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've always owned fbodies. Even while I have my built Z06, I missed fbodies.

I traded my 2011 Silverado Z71 in on a 2002 NHRA formula last summer. lol. I've been happy with my decision.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Launching!

I went from a Ford Ranger 4cyl to a Fbody as a DD. I might get another truck when i get my car paid off. need something with 4 wheel drive and i miss having a truck sometimes.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I appreciate all the responses. I think my main concern, after reading the replies, should be my budget and needs.

I can only swing about 7500-8000 for a vehicle. Of course, I always modify them slowly. I bought my truck bone stock, fresh from someones grandpa.

I wish I could be able to afford a dd and a toy, but that's just not an option now. So, I guess my balance needs to be between a dd and a toy.

Of course, a Fbody as a toy is definitely a better option, but I gotta drive it every day :p
Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from my 97 ranger 4 cyl 5 speed to my 02 Ws6 for a DD...

Though the truck is good for things like mpg, hauling trash/etc... The Ws6 is more for me. I have "fun" in it and enjoy driving it way more.
My friends DD list:
04 bolt on CTSV
11 5.0 GT bolt on (traded in his 08 TBSS)
12 challenger RT
04 GTO bolt on
98 SS cam only

It only felt right I had something to have fun with them with.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kelsey_canard
I appreciate all the responses. I think my main concern, after reading the replies, should be my budget and needs.

I can only swing about 7500-8000 for a vehicle. Of course, I always modify them slowly. I bought my truck bone stock, fresh from someones grandpa.

I wish I could be able to afford a dd and a toy, but that's just not an option now. So, I guess my balance needs to be between a dd and a toy.

Of course, a Fbody as a toy is definitely a better option, but I gotta drive it every day :p
I like my fbody/toy as a DD... decent MPG, reliable as a rock, easy to work on, etc.

7500-8000 will give you a really nice fbody if you keep your eyes peeled.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Her Z
I think it really depends on what you're shooting for: fuel economy, comfort, 'fun', etc.
Comfort, fun, appearance...in that order. Ive always like the look of trucks, but a Fbody with a nice set of drag wheels looks almost as good to me. Just my opinion. Appearance is at the bottom anyways. Mostly just wondering if a Fbody is comfortable and drivable compared to a truck.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Comfort, fun, appearance...in that order. Ive always like the look of trucks, but a Fbody with a nice set of drag wheels looks almost as good to me. Just my opinion. Appearance is at the bottom anyways. Mostly just wondering if a Fbody is comfortable and drivable compared to a truck.
My 02 Ws6 is more comfortable than my 97 Ranger because i have more seating position options and the side lumbar option. I just feel "right" since I have had possession of an fbody since I was 16.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
I like my fbody/toy as a DD... decent MPG, reliable as a rock, easy to work on, etc.

7500-8000 will give you a really nice fbody if you keep your eyes peeled.
Thanks for the response bud. Really helpful. What kind of car would y'all reccomend for me? A z28 or a formula? From my looking, it seems like the ss and the ws6s, you are just paying for appearance. Is that close to correct? In my position would it be more wise to stay with a lower model such as the z28?

It seems like the ls1s don't last as long as my 5.3 for example. Might be misreading on my part, but I'm not going to drive something unless I can beat the snot out of it. So, a sub 100k z28 might be a better choice than a better looking 125k mile ss wouldn't you think? Or are the ls1 as reliable as any ls?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went from a 98 Z71 ext. cab to my 99 Z28 and Daily drove it 80 mile round trip to work and college everyday and loved it! Most fun, comfortable, dependable, fastest and coolest car I have ever owned! I sold it to move and I miss it extremely. I am looking for another LS1 F-Body in the Austin Area(preferably a T/A) and I am currently driving a Jeep Wrangler. So I'll be making the switch yet again. Just gotta find the right one. I have checked out and test driven about 3 so far but the first one the owner was deployed before we could finish the deal, second one had too many problems and the third one had a salvaged title that I don't want. So I'm still looking but I will find one. Good luck on your decision and search man!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the response bud. Really helpful. What kind of car would y'all reccomend for me? A z28 or a formula? From my looking, it seems like the ss and the ws6s, you are just paying for appearance. Is that close to correct? In my position would it be more wise to stay with a lower model such as the z28?

It seems like the ls1s don't last as long as my 5.3 for example. Might be misreading on my part, but I'm not going to drive something unless I can beat the snot out of it. So, a sub 100k z28 might be a better choice than a better looking 125k mile ss wouldn't you think? Or are the ls1 as reliable as any ls?
Base model/ram air model is completely up to you... Find the car you want and buy it. Neither are going to be a collectable and they have the same performance, you're paying for the badge and appearance.

I have 160K+ on mine... It goes WOT daily (6300+RPMs), I have probably 5-6 races per week, etc etc... It still is one of the strongest/the strongest stock ls1 I have ever seen.
My H/C car that was not a DD but went WOT every time I sat in it spun a bearing (low oil) at 90K miles... Shifted at 6400RPMs and literally beat it.

I drive my cars often and I drive them extremely hard.

All LS based motors are very reliable.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:09 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Over the last 15+ years, I have spent 6-7 of those years owning F-bodies as daily drivers, and about 13 overlapping years owning them as toys. They are great for both.

I've put these cars through tough Chicago winters (true snow tires and experience with RWD makes this no problem in an urban environment), commuted comfortably and reliably as much as 75 miles per day, owned them brand new, owned them used with 100k+, raced them, let some of them sit for 6+ months at a time during winter storage year after year, had them stock, bolt-on modded, internally modded, etc. Honestly, I've done and/or exposed these cars to just about everything there is to do and/or expose them to. They are great cars that fit me like a glove and have been rock solid reliable with sensible maintenance and only minor issues that would be expected with any car as they age. Even MPG is excellent for a car that makes this much power with a 5.7L displacement.

But as I said earlier, areas where an F-body can never compete with a truck are hauling/payload and towing. And if you live in a rural area that gets tons of snow with minimal plowing, then the 4x4 option of a truck is priceless. Other than that, I can see no downside to an F-body as a daily driver (unless you just don't like F-bodies in general).

If you are not picky about nor interested in the appearance items that come with various higher trim levels, then I would suggest that you focus on the base model V8 cars. You will get better condition and lower miles for the same cash with a lower trim level example. If later down the road, you find yourself wanting the hoods/spoilers/badges that come with higher trim levels, you can always add them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone switch from a dd truck to a dd fbody