General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Mod-ability advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mod-ability advice

I'll try to keep this short: Had a 99 SS, dyno'd around 450RWHP before I sold her to buy my house. Five years later have some funds to start over. Question is, pay 3/4 of a 5th gen, and mod it slowly over time while I finish paying it off, or buy a cheap 4th gen outright and with the $$ left over mod it quickly and far beyond my last 4th gen? What would YOU do. Basically i'm looking for other opinions to open my eyes to different angles I may not be considering. I'm leaning towards the 5th gen just b/c I want a different project than something I have already done in the past.

Posting this in a 5th gen forum as well so I can hear both sides. Thanks for any opinions!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What do you want to do with the car? Street driver? Drag car? Do you want a higher quality car (5th gen over 4th gen?)
Me personally, If I sold my car my next one would be either a C5 Z06 or C6 Z51. 5th gen just isnt for me, too big and heavy.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Forget about the 'mods and everything else for a moment. Which car do you like more? Which one do you see yourself driving around town in? On date-night? Going to Wal*Mart? To car shows? These are the questions you need to ask yourself, because IMO a car can be the fastest thing on the planet, but if I don't "feel" anything for it, the speed is useless. Ask yourself which car you like better and want to live with the most; the speed and all of that will follow naturally.

Personally, I would go with a 4th 'Gen, but I'm a 90's guy...
Old 12-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Captain Double Post

Imo if ya really want a 5th gen i would wait a lil longer,pretty soon you will be able to get a nice used one pretty cheap,have you drove a 5th gen? Honest i have and didnt care for it,while it was nice i didnt care to pay that much for a new one,now 14,15 range for sure would be a nice car,i didnt think the performance was all that,and for what modded 4th gens are bringing in ya get alot for your money,i wouldnt buy something stock if ya plan to mod anyway,for one it cost 3x the cash to build it yourself,pay 40 to build one or mid 20s to buy one already to go,and mid 20s would be top of the line build,even for 12 to 14 can pretty much get ya everything your looking for out of a 4th gen,its up to you,personally if i had the cash im looking at ctsvs and used c6s over getting a 5th gen,just way more care imo,and i would much prefer a bolt on cammed c6 over any f body,even a stock c5z would be a killer ride,i would drive a few other rides and open your options,but i would never talk anyone out of a 4thgen there is just so much better stuff out right now,but its really on what your looking to do with the car,sorry for the ramble
Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're really liking the 5th gen F-body and can afford a new one to have
piece of mind that a virgin with a warranty offers, maybe consider the 1LE.
Yes big and heavy but the handling and braking are excellent. If you don't
have the need for the back seat (wife/kids) then I agree with others about
looking at a C5Z or a C6....either way you're starting with a mid 12 sec. base
and then can mod from there.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Of those two I would pick the 4th gen, simply because I prefer their seating position and appearance. Performance doesn't matter, because it can be improved to any level on either car.

Furthermore, even if I was neutral on the cars themselves and liked both equally, I would still pick the 4th gen if I was in a position where I could not pay cash for the 5th gen. I am done with car loans, so if a cash purchase isn't an option then the car in general isn't an option.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO get a 5th Gen, but I'd skip on the 5th Gen 1LE as a handling/brake package and only get it if you want the black 20x10F an 20x11R wheels and 3.91 rear gears.I'd get a SS with the options you want. This way you'll have a fresh new canvas to start with, but if you do like the C5 an C6 vettes then at least consider finding a used one with the options/features you like before making your final decision.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-02-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, this sure is a tough one. I know it will come down to driving them all and comparing. Thanks for all the advice. I definitely was not looking brand new. Used 2010 or 2011 i'm finding in the mid to upper 20's. 1 or 2SS with RS package. Problem: I don't like how heavy it is...and as stated above, seating position/blind spots are horrible in that car! I'm also not a fan of all the added technology. BUT on the other end, I had my 4th gen for almost 7 years....I STILL love it, but getting another one I feel like i'd be going over steps already traveled. As in I might get bored with it knowing there is something bigger and better out there. Maybe i will consider the C6's.
At this point it will come down to whatever I am most comfortable being behind the wheel. I know all three are great platforms.
My goal is to have a weekend driver during the summer months, stored in the garage in winter. I used to drive to car shows, and cruise around local roads for fun, but NO daily driving. I have a Jeep for that. Seating will not be an issue. I hate to say it, but has anyone looked into the Mustangs now that they brought back the 5.0??
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
I'm also not a fan of all the added technology.
I am with you, I value simplicity. Some people love this stuff, to me it's just added hassle as the car ages. But that's a non-issue for people that trade/sell cars often and are always getting something new. I tend to stick with cars that I like for the long term.

BUT on the other end, I had my 4th gen for almost 7 years....I STILL love it, but getting another one I feel like i'd be going over steps already traveled. As in I might get bored with it knowing there is something bigger and better out there. Maybe i will consider the C6's.
"Bigger and better" is a relative term, but if you already see yourself longing for something else in response to the thought of returning to something familiar, then boredom could be a real possibility. Boredom tends not to be a problem for me, so I can't offer much advice in that regard. All I can say is, the grass isn't always greener on the other side, but the excitement of the journey will always be an attraction for some.

I hate to say it, but has anyone looked into the Mustangs now that they brought back the 5.0??
Yes, I have. I would most likely go with the new 5.0 over the new Camaro, if/when I am in the market.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-03-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe i will consider the C6's.
IMO, I think a fifth gen is more practical as a DD. Since you're wanting a weekend warrior/drive to car shows kind of vehicle, I would consider a clean, properly done up 4th gen or a C6. Used LS2 Vette's in my area are going for high 20's, even some LS3 Vette's with slightly higher mileage going for high 20's.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F Body or Corvette. Not a fan of the new Camaro's.

Quick Reply: Mod-ability advice