General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Replacing water pump outlet tube

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacing water pump outlet tube

Are the outlet tubes replaceable? They're obviously pressed in, but is there any sort of epoxy or sealant involved? I received a new L99 WP yesterday, but it looks like UPS dropped it, or dropped something on it:

Besides the folded in part, it's crooked in the casting. I pushed on it to see if I could straighten it, and it rocked back a little, but not all the way straight. I'm sure I could work the dent back into shape, but would it be best to heat it first? After it's straight, I could press/tap it back all the way into the casting. Would this be a reliable repair or does it need to be removed, straightened, then reinstalled with some sort of adhesive and/or sealant? What about freezing the neck and heating the casting before reinserting the neck?

My other idea is to remove and discard this damaged neck, and replace it with the angled neck from my stock truck WP. I believe that in my swap (LQ9 into '02 S10- rad inlet on driver's side), this would give me more and better options for an upper radiator hose since I would only have to deal with one bend in the hose.

Quick Reply: Replacing water pump outlet tube