General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

new motor. gas in radiator

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new motor. gas in radiator

Think I have a headgasket issue

Motor was bought in 2011, but just finished building car and getting it running properly.

After cleaning up all the wiring I topped off ron davis radiator. I seen a dark swirl in the coolant and stuck finger in it. Felt slimy like oil, but smell is very strong with fuel.

Motor is a virginia speed built 440ci Ls2 with ls7 heads and a fast 102. Electric water pump ect. Might have put a quart to much oil in it, but havnt noticed if oil was milky.

Motor has zero miles on it and maybe 30 minutes run time. Ive never reved it over 4k.
I did take intake off for paint, but its torqued to spec and I dont see how this would make this happen as intake doesnt pass coolant.

Engie ran on 4cyl recently with heavy backfiring untill I fixed wiring recently, but that was a very short episode which was fixed promptly.

I have the ability to tear the heads off and fix the gaskets, however, id rather try a few things to be sure thats the problem before I rip apart a $19k motor.

Anyone had similar problems with oily residue In coolant that reaked like gas. Engine runs great now
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For liquid fuel/residue to endup in the radiator you'd have a HUGE issue and you'd know it. The engine wouldn't be running well, if barely at all. How long did it run on 4cyl? Did you check the oil? If you'd see fuel traces anywhere it'd be in the oil. Is there any possibility that the container used to fill the radiator might have been used with other fluids? Also, how well was the block cleaned? If any of the passages had fluid left inside them that may have been where it came from.

Quick Reply: new motor. gas in radiator