General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying a C5 (Preferrably Blue)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a C5 (Preferrably Blue)

Let me start off by saying that this won't have any "Basic Technical Questions," but I wasn't quite sure where to post it.

I am dying to get back into a Corvette, and would like to get one as new as possible for as cheap as possible. I've realized that my price range will only allow me something from the C5 era, though. My problem is this: I'm very stingy with money; and I tend to have bad luck with used cars. So, I've got this dilemma, because I've never spent this much money on a car before (approximately 20k, or less). I keep wondering if I should just try to get the newest thing I can (not a Corvette), or go with the 10+ year old car that I would really love.

Obviously I'd be happiest with the Vette, but I still keep wondering if I should go a different route in order to get something newer. Any thoughts? Am I the only one who has worried about this?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 AM
Launching!

Im sure you can find a nice used c5 that was babyed. I notice alot of the vette guys treat there ladys with respect and the fbody guys are flooring it from light to light. You can get a z06 possibly with your 20k, might have a few more miles then you like. I would like to get one in the future . You can defently get a base c5 with 20k with low miles for sure. Gl
Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So I went on aototrader and checked all used, any distance, blue corvettes
from 99-04, in coupe form, under 23,000 bucks and 78 examples popped up.
About 1/3 of them were at or over 100,000 miles but there were a lot of real
nice, one owner, low/mid mileage cars. Many claim non-smoker, stored/
covered, never hit, and seldom have any mods or at most a cat/axle back
exhaust. My 03 originally sold for $52,000 and those who could afford cars
like these back then valued them and most likely only beat them on rare
occasions. A couple neat features to look for are coupes which were optioned
with two tops (one body color and one transparent), Z51 sport suspension
noticeable by drilled brake rotors if you like auto crossing, 12 disc CD chang-
ers, and heads up display. Good luck on your search.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

First things first, is this going to be a daily driver or a good day only garage queen? Also, are you looking for a modded Vette or a totally stock Vette? For that money you can have either just narrow the field for yourself a bit.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I'm of the firm belief that a well taken care of one-owner low mileage Corvette from 1994 and up (with the new a/c systems) is the way to go. Maintenance records, garage-kept, non-abused. Repairs should be minor for a car that falls in this category in most instances. You will pay a premium (over price guide values) as well but it will be a Corvette that you will be proud to own and with minmal issues. Best of luck!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by BatmanUriah
I keep wondering if I should just try to get the newest thing I can (not a Corvette), or go with the 10+ year old car that I would really love.

Obviously I'd be happiest with the Vette, but I still keep wondering if I should go a different route in order to get something newer. Any thoughts? Am I the only one who has worried about this?
10 year old cars are at a point where they will likely need some maintenance and/or repairs when purchased. Rarely will you find a car of this age that is 100% up-to-date and completely issue free the day that you buy it (and if you do find one like that, it will be at the very highest end of the price spectrum). I have never bought a 10+ year old used car that didn't need *some* level of repairs or catching up on maintenance right from the beginning. Even well cared for used cars usually need something at that point (could be items as simple as tires, brakes, various fluids/filters, etc. - things that have often been put off by a current owner that was intending to sell anyway). If you really want a specific type/generation of car that is no longer being built though (or your budget won't allow for a brand new example), then this is just a fact of life that must be dealt with. However, if you want a car that you can just drive off the lot and not worry about at all for many years to come, plus the security of a factory warranty, then you should probably buy something new.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 427zm
First things first, is this going to be a daily driver or a good day only garage queen? Also, are you looking for a modded Vette or a totally stock Vette? For that money you can have either just narrow the field for yourself a bit.
It would definitely be my nice weekend car to cruise around town in. I had an 02 before, and it was such an amazing car. I'm really dreaming of an 02-04 Z06, but I would also like to get as low of miles as I can. I'm not against modded cars. I'd take one if it was what I was looking for. Of course, if a low-mile, stock Vette comes along, I'd ****** it up too! So, either or at this point.

Thanks for all of the help guys! This has already got me leaning towards the C5 route again.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look more for a stockish Corvette, that said if you can find a nice modded one you can look into it. I really don't like dealing with someone else's hobby car, you just don't know what tiny quirks are in there. Rarely are things done %100 on the up and up.

All else being said like RPM mentioned a 10-year old car is going to need maintenance no matter what. But if your patient in your search I am confident you can find a nice c5 in your price range that will not give you many issues.

Most corvette owners are "shiners" so you usually don't have to worry about them being beat to **** like f-bodys and mustangs.

Just don't be in a hurry and when you go to look at one, be confident in your search and if you don't find one that is up to snuff, don't feel guilty about turning away. Sometimes I see my friends get pressured when they take up someones time and feel a little bit of obligation to buy after taking up someones time. Especially if they have been inquiring about it a lot and have used up a lot of the owners time.

Just be honest and up front and if you don't like the deal walk away. The most important thing to any vehicle purchase is patience.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:00 PM

I'm thinking the same thing. I'm not really afraid to get something that's been modded, but I would prefer something stock with low miles. I can always do some little things here and there if I decide to.

I've been searching for a while, looking at pretty much anything with an LS1. Now I'm pretty set in stone on what I want. The only issue is that I've never driven a C5 Z06 before, and my previous Corvette was an automatic, so I'd definitely have to drive one around before I pull the trigger.

Patience is what I've got!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
A couple neat features to look for are coupes which were optioned
with two tops (one body color and one transparent), Z51 sport suspension
noticeable by drilled brake rotors if you like auto crossing, 12 disc CD chang-
ers, and heads up display. Good luck on your search.
Thanks for the advice! I'm fairly Corvette savvy, but I'll have to research the Z06s a little more. It's been a while since I've looked into them.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Seems like a good start.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...t_23524wt_1165
Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by kciaccio
Nice! That is what I want!!

I found one on Autotrader, but it's in Kentucky.. and I'm not sure how I'd find time to swing that one. It's an 03, 31k miles, and the guy is asking just under $20k. It looks clean, and - according to the ad - has been garage kept and all that jazz. It's the best deal I've found so far.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BatmanUriah
Nice! That is what I want!!

I found one on Autotrader, but it's in Kentucky.. and I'm not sure how I'd find time to swing that one. It's an 03, 31k miles, and the guy is asking just under $20k. It looks clean, and - according to the ad - has been garage kept and all that jazz. It's the best deal I've found so far.

26,500 and it is yours. I bought it for my dealership. We do 10 day listings. Already at 23k in less than two days so it is going in the first listing for sure. FYI.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm really trying to stay closer to $20,000, but I appreciate you letting me know. I'll get ahold of you if my financial situation changes.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to check out the Corvetteforum classifies, they have all sorts of cars on there from mild to wild and usually are in decent shape. Might also look in to any regional based forums weather on here or a dedicated site.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 PM

Well, I definitely know what I'm looking for now. Where can I post a "wanted" ad? I didn't see any section that really jumped out as the correct one.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 PM

Never mind. Found it! =D
Old 02-04-2013, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Get some pics up of it!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 PM

I just bought this about a week ago for 14k with 86k on it, 1 owner, no accidents. So you should be able to get a great deal at 20k.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can find a nice C5 all day long for $20K. However, you have to sift through frauds and cars with "stories" to get there. The Corvette market is slow right now, so there are good deals to be had.

Quick Reply: Buying a C5 (Preferrably Blue)