General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 budget build

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 budget build

I'm starting an ls1 budget build. I plan on it being cam only with bolt ons. I'm trying to keep it relatively cheap but still want it to be reliable....i bought a used short block without an oil pan, cam, or accessories and he gave me some 806 heads. What I'm asking is what can I afford to leave stock or buy cheap or used to save some money but still have a reliable motor. I've added up the costs including accessories and its quite pricey all together so just seeing what my options are......also I plan on this going in an 87 iroc and was wondering if I would be better off just selling what I have and buying a parts car that has everything I need.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

mods if u could rename this thread "ls1 budget build help" i would greatly appreciate it
Old 02-25-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats your budget? For a few bolts on its not hard to accomplish at all. Im sure with around $2k you can do a lot.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Whats your budget? For a few bolts on its not hard to accomplish at all. Im sure with around $2k you can do a lot.
I really want about 5k to be my top dollar for the swap. I have 98 short block with 100k on it. I need all accessories, cam (I think I have stock lifters but idk if I can use them with a decent sized cam), ls6 intake and oil pump, ls2 timing chain, fuel rail......pretty much everything except bottom end I guess.....ive heard I need to change the pistons but idk....everything added up real quick......possibly need wiring harness and pcm too....theres so much I just wonder if it would be better to get a donor car
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on what you paid for what you already have, I am thinking a donor car would've probably been your best bet for a starting point. Could have probably gotten a decent mid mileage ls1 for around maybe $3k. Sold off what you didn't need here in the classifieds and still came out about the same as what was paid for the donor.

IMO if you're doing a cam, won't hurt doing heads as well to match up a lot better. And there really isn't such a thing as a budget build unfortunately. It's kind of like Sasquatch, we all have heard about it and some have said they've seen it, but most are all full of ****, lol.

Good luck man!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

I could get my money back for what I sell my short block for.....im not trying build something crazy....just mainly a cam only budget build which is why I was going to use the 806s because I already have them with comp918s on them. But I think ur right about the donor car.....could save quite a bit that way

Thanks for your opinion
Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To make that swap you'll need a k-member for the ls1/3rd gen. You might want to search that swap, I thought they were using the truck accessory drive setup. If you sold what you have and bought a 5.3/6.0 setup it might be cheaper in the long run. Junkyards are full of trucks!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

I was under the impression it could use the stock one and the only problem id have was header clearance

Quick Reply: LS1 budget build