General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do I need to upgrade my lifters? How high should I set my rev limiter also?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to upgrade my lifters? How high should I set my rev limiter also?

Ok guys quick question, I have a 1998 LS1, with unknown miles(its swapped into a compleatly different car that what LS1's came in), that I have recently did some mods to. one thing I didnt do is upgrade the lifters while I had the heads off, what I'm wondering is should I take the heads off again and upgrade the lifters?

My other question is what should I set my rev limiter to?

Heres the engine mods:

TSP PRC Stage 2.5 heads
Ported And Polished BBK SSI Intake Manifold
92mm PRC Throttle Body
TSP MS3
JTR Long Tube Headers
3" Off Road Y pipe
4" Blast Pipes

As far as supporting mods:

Dual Valve Springs
Chromoly Pushrods
Ported And Shimmed LS2 Oil Pump
TSP Double Roller Timing Chain Set
Katech Rod Bolts
Improved Racing Oil Pan Baffle

I also have an Improved Racing oil cooler adapter to a rather large oil cooler.

I have no idea what the motor will make power wise, and would much rather have a driveable tune than a tune that pulls every last HP possible...I'm very concerned about the lifters, and didnt think to upgrade them at the time, so that is my main concern/question.

As far as how high I should rev the motor, i was thinking 6,500 maybe. I drift the car, so at some points I am standing on the rev-limiter for an extended period of time. I know the cam doesnt stop making power until more like 7000 rpms, but I'd rather not rev it that high since I know I will be on the rev-limiter for somewhat long periods of time. Any help would be great, thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like you already have your mine made up, but I have a similar setup, TSP 2.5 LS6's with a fast 92, but a smaller cam than the MS3 and I spin mine to a 6800 Rev limiter. Power for my setup peaked at 6500.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, I'd rather go safe than sorry, I just wanted to make sure that thats a good number. like I said, my main concern is do I need to pull my heads off again, and upgrade my lifters
Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ksnew
yeah, I'd rather go safe than sorry, I just wanted to make sure that thats a good number. like I said, my main concern is do I need to pull my heads off again, and upgrade my lifters
Not sure what lifters you are currently running, but I would say with the cam you're running LS7's would be needed at a minimum. Morel link bars would be great especially since you're drifting the car and running high RPM's for long periods of time.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

I have stock ls1 lifters at the moment :/
Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ksnew
I have stock ls1 lifters at the moment :/
Yeah, for your assurance, I'd pull the heads and upgrade the lifters. Better to do it now,and avoid a failure that destroys a bunch of stuff later.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd go with the BTR SLR lifters at a minimum, that way you'll know all the lifters have the same bleed down rate. There's no guarantee you'll get that from the LS7 lifters.

I'd also consider running a cam with lobes that offer better high rpm valvetrain stability (EPS, LXL, XE), especially since you're running high rpms for extended periods.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-26-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Do I need to upgrade my lifters? How high should I set my rev limiter also?