General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LQ4 Price...what you think????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 Price...what you think????

Hey everyone,
Ive been doing tons of research on this forum and have came to the conclusion I am going to go the LQ4 route. I have been calling around and the best deal I have found is a refurbished LQ4 for $1500.

The problem is that engine comes without an intake, covers, and ECM, power steering, alternator...the usual when buying a refurbished motor.

Im not sure if I go this route I'll end up spending more getting those needed parts or not. My goal once I get an LQ4 is 400 hp (at the crank) on a budget for a daily driver 2nd generation TA. Hopefully that info will put it into perspective.

I am finding that most places I call only deal with the engines, they part out the rest so finding a complete motor for a transplant has been tough!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bandit80; 03-15-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Wrong Info
Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

so the motor was recently been rebuilt/overhauled? what year did it come out of? fwiw i got my motor from a recycling/junkyard for $600 and it came with the truck intake manifold, fuel rails and injectors, waterpump, pulleys and valve covers, but no ECM, alternator, or power steering. The motor had about 110k miles on it.

see my mod list in my sig below. To give you an idea im running stock 317 unmilled heads with cam and bolt-ons and for a low compression A4 its trapping around 115mph near at 300ft above sea level. That’s probably in the realm of 360-380rwhp on the butt dyno so 400crank i imagine you'll surpass ;-)

edit-tried carparts.com?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by fst100

edit-tried carparts.com?
Thats what I am using, car-part.com

Unless I am an idiot, every place I call is selling the engine only, and anywhere from 1500 and up. So buying all these extra parts would add up.

When I call scrap yards for complete set ups, they always have the same answer..."we usually part complete set ups as they come in"

I give them my name/number for when a complete set up comes through..but they do not seem to interested.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not get a LQ9? Exact same engine as a LQ4 but with flat top pistons that give it a compresion of 10:1 vs the LQ4 that only has 9.5:1. If your staying NA, go with more compression. Even alot of guys that run boost like the 10:1 CR motor since it runs better when your out of boost. I bought my LQ9 for 1200. intake to oil pan, exhaust manifolds, water pump, ect. I bought it from a place called Condon's located in Maryland (if I remember correctly) I found them on car-part.com as well. My LQ9 makes 380rwhp & 380rwhp and drive 100% stock. Im selling it though because I bought a aluminum 6.2 shortblock.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

When I call scrap yards for complete set ups, they always have the same answer..."we usually part complete set ups as they come in"

I give them my name/number for when a complete set up comes through..but they do not seem to interested.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar problem when looking for LQ engines a few years ago. A trick I discovered is that if you have a commercial account with the scrapyard/pick-a-part or are a repair shop, you can get first dibs on a complete engine. I had a friend who owns a small repair shop call and set one up and he ended up getting me a pair of 5.3s complete with harness for $2100 for the pair! Got any friends with a shop that can help you out? just an idea!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Why not get a LQ9? Exact same engine as a LQ4 but with flat top pistons that give it a compresion of 10:1 vs the LQ4 that only has 9.5:1. If your staying NA, go with more compression. Even alot of guys that run boost like the 10:1 CR motor since it runs better when your out of boost. I bought my LQ9 for 1200. intake to oil pan, exhaust manifolds, water pump, ect. I bought it from a place called Condon's located in Maryland (if I remember correctly) I found them on car-part.com as well. My LQ9 makes 380rwhp & 380rwhp and drive 100% stock. Im selling it though because I bought a aluminum 6.2 shortblock.
I agree, but from other threads, people just say you can get the lq4 for cheaper than than lq9. If thats not the case, then I am all for an lq9. But honestly, these people i call ONLY know it by "6.0". If i mention LQ4 or LQ9 they dont have a clue.

Ive in the last hour have seen cheaper prices than my listed $1500, but they are all dismantled, with high mileage for $1100.

I am getting frustrated. I know it has to be just me, because other people arent finding the same problem out there. By looking at this, If I wasnt involved in this forum, I wouldnt know any better and run away from the ls motor transplant. Seems like a crate motor would be cheaper!

Ive seriously called 15 places and all of them dismantle the accessories and sell just the motor.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel0026
I had a similar problem when looking for LQ engines a few years ago. A trick I discovered is that if you have a commercial account with the scrapyard/pick-a-part or are a repair shop, you can get first dibs on a complete engine. I had a friend who owns a small repair shop call and set one up and he ended up getting me a pair of 5.3s complete with harness for $2100 for the pair! Got any friends with a shop that can help you out? just an idea!
Thats some great advice! I do have a good buddy who owns his own shop (the same buddy thats going to be helping me with the swap). So thanks, and maybe Ill try that route.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit80
I agree, but from other threads, people just say you can get the lq4 for cheaper than than lq9. If thats not the case, then I am all for an lq9. But honestly, these people i call ONLY know it by "6.0". If i mention LQ4 or LQ9 they dont have a clue.

Ive in the last hour have seen cheaper prices than my listed $1500, but they are all dismantled, with high mileage for $1100.

I am getting frustrated. I know it has to be just me, because other people arent finding the same problem out there. By looking at this, If I wasnt involved in this forum, I wouldnt know any better and run away from the ls motor transplant. Seems like a crate motor would be cheaper!

Ive seriously called 15 places and all of them dismantle the accessories and sell just the motor.
Yes the LQ9 is usually a few hundred dollars more but if your staying all motor, Id pay the extra money, no question on that. If your going boost then either will work great.

They will know if your talking about the LQ9 or the LQ4 when you give them the 8th digit of the vin number. Off the top of my head im not positive but I believe the LQ9 is a "N" and the LQ4 is a "U"...they ususally have this Vin digit in there description of the engine. That will tell you if it is a LQ9 or a LQ4.

My LQ9 had a 77k on it and it runs fantastic. Alot of guys are buying motors with over 100k on them and they have no issues at all.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried LKQ.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

^^^ Thats where I got mine from that you need an account ect...! ^
Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
My LQ9 had a 77k on it and it runs fantastic. Alot of guys are buying motors with over 100k on them and they have no issues at all.

I might have to go this route because I havent seen a low mileage (under 70k miles) yet. I have heard from others the 100k isnt that bad also.

Thanks everyone....I am getting awesome info

Quick Reply: LQ4 Price...what you think????