General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

After the storm... Camaro gone wild

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After the storm... Camaro gone wild

To set the tone I was leaving the house almost 6am this morning. It's dark as night. Headed to work with a 70 mile trip ahead and I decided the camaro aught to handle that pretty well. It's been a while since the old girl got out of the basement anyway. Crank her up, cams a warming up, check my bags, hop in and I'm off.

The night before Macon was showered pretty good with a think heavy rain, wind blew crap all over the roads. Not a second thought though, and I'm headed down the roads. 2nd gear shifts firm, setting my tunes and the GPS is pointing me in the right direction. I'm well on my way with time to spare. All seems well.

Jump on I475 and get off the on ramp and about a mile into my trip I give it a little gas to get up to speed. Just enough that the trans downshifts, tires broke lose.

Show time....

Rear kicks to the right, I'm staring at the concrete median, Aww **** I'm thinking, "this is it" I say in my head. Turn the wheel to the right trying to set her back right. To much, damn! Now it's to the left to much, I'm headed for the shoulder staring at the trees.. Great, now I'm f***ed. It does a 360 and then it continues to come around until I'm flying backwards staring at what used to be in the rear view.. HOLY F***!!!! I'm thinking..

I turn the wheel which ever way just hoping it turns around, thats when I feel it leave the road, "this is it.... this is it... I'm going to slam into the trees" I'm saying in my head still flying backwards. Still working the wheel and then standing on the brakes it turns around sliding down the soaking wet bank. Trees are in site, it gets to the bottom of the V shaped bank pointing toward the trees and heads up the bank and slows down to a stop just before the tree line.

I'm safe! Car? Muddy as hell, but otherwise untouched..

I start it... runs fine. Put it in gear.. moves.. I try to drive it out but it was super wet, I finally get it super stuck.. crap. Cop stops to see if everything is alright (under the circumstances), send him on his way. Call my wife, she drove the dodge dakota out there, hooked up to the subframe connectors and pulled it back up to the road.

This was purely my fault. I have a car with a good amount of power, stall etc., roads were wet with debris, and honestly I don't drive my car enough to have "got to know it". I was lucky it was early am and no one was close to me.

Scared the POOP outta me though....

Last edited by jsmith564; 03-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like your car pooped on itself. Good save.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Tell you what.. had nothing to do with me saving it. I had no control at all.. just got "lucky"
Old 03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

It's better to be lucky than good. Glad you got out of it safe.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see you and the car are fine but now it's time to drive your car. Get some practice. I spun out the first few times driving my car(stock) also. I went from a 91' toyota tercel to a Ls1.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

That happened to me on the interstate, in a construction zone. I was driving my WS6 with drag radials on it and the road was wet. I hit a dip in the road and without warning the *** end came out a little, I overcorrected, it went back and forth a couple times and I completely lost control. It was a choice of steer into the wall or into the car beside me. Luckily, somehow I steered towards the wall, and the car spun around backwards and slowed to a stop. Still ran fine and didnt mess anything up. I took out an orange barrel thouhg and scratched my paint and my alignment was way out. It scared the ******* **** out of me, it's definitely not something I want to do again.

Glad you made it out alright, you are lucky as hell.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I remember a couple years ago I was going to a buddies house when it was wet and tried to "drift" my 82 blazer around a corner (I Know...) and ended up in a ditch. I swear I was going to roll it since it was such a deep incline. Towed of out and all was good.
Man I still have images of what I thought it was going to look like as soon as I started sliding.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is why I have the traction control on all the time. Plus my car has stabilitrak which has saved my *** quite a few times when the car started going sideways.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that is why i dont drive in bad weather.

my SS anyway. BUT YOURE OK AND thats what matters.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Teching In

your story telling skills were amazing too! glad to see no damage happened..
Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

I been driving v8 rear wheel drive cars only for the past 10 years. I guess I have enough experience to stay somewhat safe but anything can happen to anyone. Glad to hear you and your car are still in 1 piece!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Good save man. Luck was with you this time!

I did this in my younger years with a focus and some ice. I came out fine, but the car ended up sliding on its roof for about 300 feet.

Glad to see you're ok, first and foremost, and then glad to see the car came out alright too! Wash her up!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

I did something like that once. About 3 months after I bought my SS my aunt was in the car and I was getting on a freeway on ramp. Its about 10pm and dark out. I take the on ramp a little fast, mind you its a blind roundabout, the cars corning like its on rails. Then boom! Right after the apex apparently a truck dumped some of its load of dirt/gravel. I proceed to hit this and go slidding across the rest of the on ramp across 2 lanes of traffic. I'm staring at the inside K wall, over correct, over correct, and around we go. My head lights light up the K wall as I spun closer. I'm thinking this is it. I'm about to **** my SS I spent a year looking for. First spin I'm about a lane away, second it seems feet in front of me and then I hear WHAM and I come to a immediate halt. I think I just took out my whole rear and quarter. Check my Aunts okay, she's giggling I'm like dafuq? Get home check out the damage I barely caught the wall with my rear bumper. Scuffed it pretty good right on the corner. Lesson learned.

Quick Reply: After the storm... Camaro gone wild