General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

oil fouled injectors and other ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil fouled injectors and other ??

Hello, i switched the injector fuel rail/injectors from the drivers side inlet to the passenger side, i noticed the passenger side injectors were covered in oil... does this have to do anything with the infamous pcv system? The driver's side was clean and the injectors seemed to be unclogged as well with the passenger side just covered in oil. If i recollect the engine has 78k according from the guy i bought it from. should i worry about it? i can redo the pcv system if needed but after i get it approved from the state .... BTW it's 99 ls1 .. also before i register it as a 99 ls1 should i get the ecm from 01+ AND register it as a ls6 without a egr? i think i have access to a ls6 intake from a 01 SS Camaro and want it but would hate to get it to only fail for a lack of egr if registered as a 99...

Last edited by 85GPLEf41; 05-08-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: wordcheck
Old 05-09-2013, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question #1 - Yep, PCV is letting oil in there. Top end clean with seafoam or GM top end cleaner should take care of any carbon issues. I wouldn't reinvent the wheel in the PCV just replace any dry rotted lines. The only thing that's going to keep oil out is a catch can which you can probably get away with, or remove for inspection and reinstall in about 10 minutes. My `13 vette had 800 miles when I installed my can and there was oil already in the PCV line and intake.

Question #2 - I have no idea how that works but if I could ditch the EGR I would. Sorry someone else will have to answer.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Why would the PCV system only oil down one side? Makes no sense to me. I would look at the valve seals.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Why would the PCV system only oil down one side? Makes no sense to me. I would look at the valve seals.
Just on one head? I have read that they had issues with the pcv system's with the early ls1's... i am not able to confirm the mileage as of right now. I was kind of hoping it would be that issue and not a "engine" issue..
Old 05-11-2013, 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

Yes just on one head, think about it. If it was PCV oil why would it only oil down one side? When my 99 was pushing oil through the pcv ALL the cylinders were oiled down.

Although the pcv does dump in on the pass side. good way to tell is to pull the throttle body off. You can get a good look where the oil is going or coming from.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Would the BG44K fuel additive clean up the injectors?? It is expensive but maybe throwing in a can in the gas tank once in awhile would prevent problems. The dealership put in a can a long time ago to clean up water that got in the lines, plus another mechanic put it in my old Porsche 911 to clean out the carbon. The tail pipe emitted smoke for awhile then it was all gone. Seemed like a decent product. Would it be enough though to clean what 85GPLEf41 is talking about??
Old 05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

I use Techron fuel injection cleaner in the fuel every 2500 miles, works very well.

I guess I should explain why your injectors are oil fouled. As bazaar as this sounds it actually happens when the engine IS NOT running. When you shut the engine off hot the engine heat soaks and what happens is the oil from the leaking valve seals drops into the port area near the fuel injector and vaporizes, then deposits itself on the fuel injector nearby.

Sorry but its how it is, I need to change all my seals because of this same trouble. I'm constantly having fouled injectors and my PCV system is oil free. It doesn't suck anything but air.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 05-11-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Launching!

I'm going to pull the throttle body and double check.This sucks if it is the valve seals... Do you think it would adversely affect the emssions portion? Or can i put it off for now and get my swap done then redo the heads later or replace them with some 243 castings?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

The valve seals are easy to replace, no need to remove the heads.

Quick Reply: oil fouled injectors and other ??