General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

wont start, battery or starter?

Old 06-07-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default wont start, battery or starter?

background is i was on deployment, bought a 2000 t/a and it was moved to my house where it sat for about 2 months without starting. before that the previous owner didnt drive it much. anyways i i tried to start it today and nothing, no lights on the dash or anything so i pulled my ram over and hooked up jumper cables and let it sit for 15 min and afterwards, ill get lights on the dash and all gauges work but when i try to start her all she does is click once and then keep clicking rapidly. im thinking its the starter but figured id ask just in case its possible for a battery to be so dead that jumping wont do anything. if it is the starter anyone have any tips on changing it? never changed a starter before.

Last edited by usnfenix; 06-07-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for serving ! and Im sorry to hear you had to come home to that, lets see if we can get you on the road, to me it sounds like the battery is just toast, I would pull it and take it in to get tested, if its junk get a new one and get a small trickle charger for the long periods, it will save you money in the long run. if the battery tests good then put it back in and hook it all back up, then pull the starter relay and get a jumper wire between the 30 and I believe 87 terminals and insert the wire fully in one terminal and tap it againest the other (for this step make sure its in park and the key is in the run position) this will most times jumper the starter and may turn it over
Old 06-07-2013, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

I would just bet its the battery though
Old 06-07-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it was the battery, thank you.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

your welcome !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wont start, battery or starter?