General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

6.0 vs 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0 vs 5.7

Hey guys I am sure this 6.0 vs 5.7 has been beat to death but I wanted to know what you guys thought. My buddy has two motors for sale, one is a 6.0 truck block auto with the complete truck set up. The other is a 5.7 ls1 with an auto and all the parts needed harness ect. He wants 1600 for the 5.7 and 2000 for the 6.0 truck block. the 6.0 has 40k and the 5.7 has 70k. What do you guys think? I want one but trying to see what you guys think is the best deal. I kno with the 6.0 I can hit 550 plus hp with some bolt ons, and the 5.7 could hit 450 plus with bolt on. Just trying to see what you guys think based on some of your previous deals and experiences, Thanks guys.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It really depends on what your goals are. The 6.0 is going to be heavier by couple of pounds but it will be stronger since its made of iron.. Find out what year it's from I've heard 04++ is the way to go. Also what are you putting it in.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bad intentions
It really depends on what your goals are. The 6.0 is going to be heavier by couple of pounds but it will be stronger since its made of iron.. Find out what year it's from I've heard 04++ is the way to go. Also what are you putting it in.

Its going into a 69 Camaro, I think it is newer then an 04 but I will find out. Will one give me a bigger ceiling like better for super charger that kind of thing? I guess really whats better for a street cruiser that might go cross country once or twice. I guess durability is the really important. I really appreciate any and all feedback.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69greyghost
Its going into a 69 Camaro, I think it is newer then an 04 but I will find out. Will one give me a bigger ceiling like better for super charger that kind of thing? I guess really whats better for a street cruiser that might go cross country once or twice. I guess durability is the really important. I really appreciate any and all feedback.
If its a newer 6.0 like 07 and up that's what I would pick especially since its going into a heavy car like you mentioned. I'm not an expert on forced induction but I would go with the iron block.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Both engines will last a long time if properly maintained.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Both engines will last a long time if properly maintained.

I am starting to think the 6.0 block might be the best option. With the ls1 I still have to tweak the heads, intake manifold and cam. I really wont be saving especially when you take into account the power I will gain with the 6.0. This still is kind of a tough call for me.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Find out what year it is and if its an LQ4 or LQ9 that makes a difference in power too due to the pistons. Find out if the 2000 ls1 has 243 heads or an ls6 intake? Why do you have to tweak the heads? With the one your looking at are they 241s..
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Find out what year it is and if its an LQ4 or LQ9 that makes a difference in power too due to the pistons. Find out if the 2000 ls1 has 243 heads or an ls6 intake? Why do you have to tweak the heads? With the one your looking at are they 241s..

I am going to look at both motors on monday. I was told to get the desired power from the ls1 I gotta change to truck heads that have been ported put a better cam and ls6 intake. I guess it would be better to make sure it doesnt have them ahead of time before I waste money. I want to paint it regardless but still I might have the good stuff already. Good point.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just put a 2004 6.0 LQ9 into my '67 Camaro. I think the 6.0 is a better starting block and will have more potential for power throughout the range.

But the LQ9 is an ugly motor (truck motors in general are ugly). The alternator sticks up too high, the intake is a pig, the wiring harness is ugly, the accessories are closer to the radiator, etc. It depends on what you're looking for. The 5.7 will look a lot cleaner if you aren't going to do much to it.

I ended up swapping out all of my accessories, brackets, heads, intake, cam, harness, computer, etc. If I had thought it through, I would have been better off just buying a short block or even a long block and building it. I ended up selling off the heads, intake, wiring harness, computer, etc.

Just know what you want before you start spending money. With that said, I'm very happy with the engine and the performance now that it's up and running.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 67rally
I just put a 2004 6.0 LQ9 into my '67 Camaro. I think the 6.0 is a better starting block and will have more potential for power throughout the range.

But the LQ9 is an ugly motor (truck motors in general are ugly). The alternator sticks up too high, the intake is a pig, the wiring harness is ugly, the accessories are closer to the radiator, etc. It depends on what you're looking for. The 5.7 will look a lot cleaner if you aren't going to do much to it.

I ended up swapping out all of my accessories, brackets, heads, intake, cam, harness, computer, etc. If I had thought it through, I would have been better off just buying a short block or even a long block and building it. I ended up selling off the heads, intake, wiring harness, computer, etc.

Just know what you want before you start spending money. With that said, I'm very happy with the engine and the performance now that it's up and running.

Wow Brent, I hope you dont take this the wrong way but I have a mega man crush on ur motor! That was very impressive, how much did you spend in extra bolt on stuff, the intake, fuel system and brackets? Great job, what do you think were your final numbers power wise, and what all do you recommend doind to the lq block? Is Lq9 better than lq4? Sorry for the barrage of questions.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are pros and cons to both engines really, like others have mentioned. In the end, you can do more with the 6.0, like put l98 or ls3 heads on it with minimal mods. The ls1 engine is roughly 100lbs lighter so it makes up for the smaller cubes in that regard. IF you are going to go FI in the future, def. go with the 6.0. Just a no brainer. If it is the acc. and ugly intake you are worried about, just buy a ls6 intake and fbody or vetter acc. setup and wala.

@ badintentions = the 69 camaro really isnt a heavy car, even decked out, it is still lighter then a 4th gen.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toxic99
There are pros and cons to both engines really, like others have mentioned. In the end, you can do more with the 6.0, like put l98 or ls3 heads on it with minimal mods. The ls1 engine is roughly 100lbs lighter so it makes up for the smaller cubes in that regard. IF you are going to go FI in the future, def. go with the 6.0. Just a no brainer. If it is the acc. and ugly intake you are worried about, just buy a ls6 intake and fbody or vetter acc. setup and wala.

@ badintentions = the 69 camaro really isnt a heavy car, even decked out, it is still lighter then a 4th gen.
Sorry toxic99 guess I assumed since it was made in the good ole days when they used metal it would be heavier thanks for the correction
Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

L98 heads on an LS1; please tell more.

For the 6.0 you would need a late 2004 to get the better rods. See if he will lett you trade intakes if i is an LS6 intake. lol
Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by toxic99

I have been thinking more and more about going 6.0. What's better the lq4 or lq9 and does anyone have recipes for big power on the cheap? I guess ls6 I take but what heads and cam selection get the most power easily?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

LQ4 and LQ9 are identical except the LQ9 has a flat top piston so it has more compression. Different LQ4's and LQ9's have different cams depending on the year.

I haven't added up all my receipts (kind of afraid to), but I made 458/410 on the dyno before they had to shut it down @6200rpm due to drive train vibration. They said it would probably make 475rwhp next time.

Feel free to ask questions, I have a build thread on Pro-Touring and Team Camaro detailing most of it. And thanks for the props.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The fact that the aluminum block is 100 lbs less than the iron block is a big pro. Which will shed a good amount of weight off of that already lightweight '69 Camaro (which btw are not heavy cars by any means, approx. 3100-3400 lbs depending on engine & options). The iron 6.0 block maybe made out of stronger material but even the aluminum LS1 block will sustain a lot of power, even in a boosted application. It's the internals that are the weak point for both engines, not the blocks, right? If you plan on boosting it and pump out 550-600+ hp out of either engine, upgraded internals will be required, eventually a smart idea anyways. Being able to fit the inexpensive LS3 topend on the 6.0L is also a nice pro though. But a set of cnc ported 243, 799 or 5.3L heads, an LS6 intake and aftermarket cam on the LS1 will also pump out 500hp easily and not break the bank.

I don't understand the whole, "If you're going to go FI definitely go with an iron block" business. Either engine will require upgraded internals past a certain power level. If you're not going crazy on the power you're not going to harm the aluminum LS block as long as there's a well suited rotating assembly for the power being made.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 07-10-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 67rally
LQ4 and LQ9 are identical except the LQ9 has a flat top piston so it has more compression. Different LQ4's and LQ9's have different cams depending on the year.

I haven't added up all my receipts (kind of afraid to), but I made 458/410 on the dyno before they had to shut it down @6200rpm due to drive train vibration. They said it would probably make 475rwhp next time.

Feel free to ask questions, I have a build thread on Pro-Touring and Team Camaro detailing most of it. And thanks for the props.

Is there a way to tell a lq4 from a lq9 wothout opening them up? Just by looking at them?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
The fact that the aluminum block is 100 lbs less than the iron block is a big pro. Which will shed a good amount of weight off of that already lightweight '69 Camaro (which btw are not heavy cars by any means, approx. 3100-3400 lbs depending on engine & options). The iron 6.0 block maybe made out of stronger material but even the aluminum LS1 block will sustain a lot of power, even in a boosted application. It's the internals that are the weak point for both engines, not the blocks, right? If you plan on boosting it and pump out 550-600+ hp out of either engine, upgraded internals will be required, eventually a smart idea anyways. Being able to fit the inexpensive LS3 topend on the 6.0L is also a nice pro though. But a set of cnc ported 243, 799 or 5.3L heads, an LS6 intake and aftermarket cam on the LS1 will also pump out 500hp easily and not break the bank.

I don't understand the whole, "If you're going to go FI definitely go with an iron block" business. Either engine will require upgraded internals past a certain power level. If you're not going crazy on the power you're not going to harm the aluminum LS block as long as there's a well suited rotating assembly for the power being made.

Will an ls1 with ported heads, an ls6 intake, and cam upgrade last a very long time? Does anyone have a cam in mind for use? I think 450 rwhp is a good goal, how much can either take motor take hp wise without internal upgrades?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there a way to tell a lq4 from a lq9 wothout opening them up? Just by looking at them?
No, they are identical from the outside. Some people say you can pull a spark plug and look into the hole when it's at TDC and see the dish vs flat top. If you can look up the VIN, you may be able to figure it out from a CarFax. If not, assume it's an LQ4 and pay accordingly. I think the LQ4's were going for about $2-300 less than the LQ9's when I bought mine. Not a huge difference.

They are both great engines, but the added compression give the LQ9 the edge.

LQ4 (9.4:1) = 300-325hp/360-370tq
LQ9 (10.0:1) = 345hp/380tq

Also, if you are keeping the heads, stay away from the 99-00 models, as they used iron heads.

-----edit-----

I just remembered the LQ4 has a U in the VIN and the LQ9 has an N. But I didn't see a stamping anywhere on my block.

Last edited by 67rally; 07-10-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will an ls1 with ported heads, an ls6 intake, and cam upgrade last a very long time? Does anyone have a cam in mind for use? I think 450 rwhp is a good goal, how much can either take motor take hp wise without internal upgrades?
If you're going with ported heads, I used TEA and was very happy with them. I let Mike spec the cam, and he nailed it. If not, check with Martin at Tick, he'll spec one for you based on your goals and chosen components.

Quick Reply: 6.0 vs 5.7