General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

307rwhp and 342ft/lbs predator tune question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 307rwhp and 342ft/lbs predator tune question?

hey guys, I just picked up a 2000 z28. It has K&N open air filter, slp catback exhaust, and a dyno tune on it via predator tuner. He showed me that the car is making 307 to the wheels, and 342 ft/lbs. He also said it ran a 12.6 or 12.7 on a dyno quarter mile run.

now, my question is, is this car on some crazy tune, since it's putting down all that power with just a catback + upgraded intake? I don't want my engine getting fried. Or does that sound just like a good sporty tune for the streets? I'm using it as a daily driver for now. The engine runs really smooth and I havent smelled it running rich or lean, or heard any odd noises.

car has 112k miles on it, original engine, and a rebuilt m6 with corvette internals

Last edited by giosoccer20; 07-27-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

Factory tunes are really safe and the cb and intake probably net you 10-15 so it seems about on par for me. I doubt the tune is really aggressive. I think you're fine.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1320Chicken
Factory tunes are really safe and the cb and intake probably net you 10-15 so it seems about on par for me. I doubt the tune is really aggressive. I think you're fine.
Awesome, that is good to hear! Now, time to troubleshoot the other 1231923966239648234 non-mechanical problems it has...
Old 07-30-2013, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it hard to believe someone used a predator tuner to dyno tune a car. Any tuner worth his salt will use something like EFILive or HPTuners. The handheld tuners are basically canned tunes that safely make changes to values that are known to work in most cars. 307HP is basically what it rolled off the factory line with. These cars were fairly under rated from the factory because they didn't want the cheaper LS1 F-Bodies to be a competitor for the vettes seeing how they packed the same powerplant. You could probably get a mail order tune from some of the better known users from here and get a few more horses over what you have now.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Decadence75
I find it hard to believe someone used a predator tuner to dyno tune a car. Any tuner worth his salt will use something like EFILive or HPTuners. The handheld tuners are basically canned tunes that safely make changes to values that are known to work in most cars. 307HP is basically what it rolled off the factory line with. These cars were fairly under rated from the factory because they didn't want the cheaper LS1 F-Bodies to be a competitor for the vettes seeing how they packed the same powerplant. You could probably get a mail order tune from some of the better known users from here and get a few more horses over what you have now.
i understand what you're saying, Decadence. Maybe I'm wrong in saying he used the Predator tuner to dyno tune the car. More like, he used the predator tuner with some factory tunes, THEN took it to the dyno and either fine-tuned the car, or just got a dyno run of 307rwhp and 342ft/lbs. My biggest concern was if those numbers seem ok, or "healthy", for my car with just an exhaust and a k&n intake. I don't want the car to be fragile, since it's my daily driver.

And regarding getting a better tune sent to me...can you, or anyone, direct me to a user who would send me one??
Old 07-30-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by giosoccer20
i understand what you're saying, Decadence. Maybe I'm wrong in saying he used the Predator tuner to dyno tune the car. More like, he used the predator tuner with some factory tunes, THEN took it to the dyno and either fine-tuned the car, or just got a dyno run of 307rwhp and 342ft/lbs. My biggest concern was if those numbers seem ok, or "healthy", for my car with just an exhaust and a k&n intake. I don't want the car to be fragile, since it's my daily driver.

And regarding getting a better tune sent to me...can you, or anyone, direct me to a user who would send me one??
No worries, I wasn't trying to be an a-hole or anything. Just my opinion after all. The Gen III motors are anything but fragile. I did most of the mods in my sig around 130k miles and the more I work on it, the more I find the car was abused greatly. It still runs like a champ though. I would suggest a tune by Frost, if you can't find him then shoot me a PM and I will steer you in the right direction.

But to answer your first question, yes, 307RWHP is completely normal for these cars even without a tune.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by giosoccer20

That's pretty close to what bone stock cars are putting down. Torque is up some, but power is nominal.

Fwiw, my 98 put down 323 and 342 at the rear wheels with the same mods you have. With a street tune using hp tuners.

I'd say yours still has some left if you get a good tune.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Decadence75
No worries, I wasn't trying to be an a-hole or anything. Just my opinion after all. The Gen III motors are anything but fragile. I did most of the mods in my sig around 130k miles and the more I work on it, the more I find the car was abused greatly. It still runs like a champ though. I would suggest a tune by Frost, if you can't find him then shoot me a PM and I will steer you in the right direction.

But to answer your first question, yes, 307RWHP is completely normal for these cars even without a tune.
Okay, awesome! Yeah, I am really satisfied with how the car is running. Hasn't skipped a beat mechanically, and I drove it for 4 hours yesterday without any problems. Thanks for the good info, it's much appreciated!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bww3588
That's pretty close to what bone stock cars are putting down. Torque is up some, but power is nominal.

Fwiw, my 98 put down 323 and 342 at the rear wheels with the same mods you have. With a street tune using hp tuners.

And reliability wouldn't suffer from what it is now, you think? I really am happy with it's performance right now, but having 20hp is definitely a lot, and good for bragging rights
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bww3588

And reliability wouldn't decrease from what it is now, you think? even marginally? I really am happy with it's performance right now, but having 20hp is definitely a lot, and good for bragging rights
Old 08-02-2013, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Reliability would likely increase. The "box" tunes such as what you have are general tunes that supposedly work on all cars. A custom tune would be tailored to your car and whatever little quirks it may have.

Quick Reply: 307rwhp and 342ft/lbs predator tune question?