General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ls1 engine removal from top of f-body

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 engine removal from top of f-body

Hello, my husband wants to pull our ls1 from the top and was wondering if he unbolts the t-56 bellhousing from the motor would he be able to pull it???

He didn't know if the tranny would have to be slid back or not?

everything is gutted in the engine bay now and it's just a shortblock. All of the accessories have already been removed and everything unplugged.

We are hoping we don't have to unbolt anything else from the tranny to just remove the engine.Thanks in advance.Jennifer
Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled my stripped shortblock from the top of my camaro, but i had the drive shaft unbolted and the trans slid backwards....not sure if you will have enough room to slide the motor forward off of the input shaft and then lift it out. I'd say you will probably be okay as long as the radiator is removed.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

We do have the radiator and all that removed as well. It just seems as the motor would have to be lifted 4 or 5 inches then slid forward so the oil pan clears the crossmember.
How far would you say the motor needs to be seperated from the bellhousing for the input shaft to be out?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Anyone else?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Doing it the hard way huh? You will need to remove the intake in order to get the motor out from top. I just did a motor/tranny , front k member & suspension removal all as 1 assembly. Swapped from 1 car to another and put the other one back, in about 8hrs ,all by myself, through the bottom of the car. All I had was a motor hoist , jack and jack stands. No problem.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RIDYT
Doing it the hard way huh? You will need to remove the intake in order to get the motor out from top. I just did a motor/tranny , front k member & suspension removal all as 1 assembly. Swapped from 1 car to another and put the other one back, in about 8hrs ,all by myself, through the bottom of the car. All I had was a motor hoist , jack and jack stands. No problem.
Haha,Kind of. We are parting the motor out anyways to help fund our LS7 441 that we should be putting in soon.Thats one of the problems we keep running into is my husband doesnt have many tools. Here is a few pictures of the engine bay as it sits.Dont mind the mouse poison!
Attached Thumbnails ls1 engine removal from top of f-body-parts-017.jpg   ls1 engine removal from top of f-body-parts-021.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

We pulled the motor from my transam through the top, t56 still attached. It was just a shortblock, no accessories on the block not even the crank pulley. came out pretty easily with the hood off actually.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

This one looks like it will be easy as long as it slides off the input shaft.He really doesnt want to pull the tranny with it.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:44 AM
Teching In

Default pulling from top

I did mine out the top with no trouble. I just disconnected the transmission and took all accessories off including the radiator. I already had the heads and intake off when I pulled it.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I left the tranmission in and pulled the engine from the top, I did not even undo the driveshaft or the tranny crossmember, I stripped the engine to the shortblock, pulled radiator and fans and the engine cleared pulling it strait up and out with the flywheel and crank pully still on it, dropped the new one in same way. (TIP) with the heads removed you can get to alot of the transmission bolts from the TOP of the engine, then get the rest from the bottom with the exhaust out of the way.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you need a good set of ratchet wrenches to to get at the tranny bolts from the top, also take hood off you will get the enigne out no problem with the a hoist, just lift it a little then slide it forward, lift a little slide it forward, pitting a jack under the transmission and jacking it up will allow the transmission to come up with the engine so you can slide it out once the oil pan clears the K member, or you can just undo the oil pan and let it sit and it will drop off the engine as your lifting.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
you need a good set of ratchet wrenches to to get at the tranny bolts from the top, also take hood off you will get the enigne out no problem with the a hoist, just lift it a little then slide it forward, lift a little slide it forward, pitting a jack under the transmission and jacking it up will allow the transmission to come up with the engine so you can slide it out once the oil pan clears the K member, or you can just undo the oil pan and let it sit and it will drop off the engine as your lifting.
Thanks. We ended up getting it out last Saturday. It was a challenge because we did it all on a stone floor. We got everything unbolted for the tranny,but the tranny didn't want to let go until it was vertical. Luckily the tranny was leaning against the crossmember and the tail housing wasn't off the ground when it did end up letting go.
Now onto putting in our Ls7 441!

Quick Reply: ls1 engine removal from top of f-body