General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Header question

Old 09-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header question

Just bought a 2000 SS with a few mods. Car has pacesetter LT's with ORY, no cats, borla muffler into CME tips. Car was tuned with HP tuners and the rear 02's have been turned off. Question is why would the AIR pipes and egr be left on the car? Also seems like the exhaust is somewhat quiet based on the setup. Any idea why?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I left my AIR hooked up and just had it tuned out. It was less work, looks closer to stock, and is still there if you ever need to switch back to manifolds for emissions or any other reason. Also in the past some have had issues with the AIR block off plates vibrating and breaking the welds on the headers, so that is also a reason to consider. As for the volume, is it the borla adjustable catback? If so it could have the full block off plate in the passenger side tail pipe, causing all the exhaust to go through the muffler, therefore making it quieter.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:22 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like mentioned above, it may have simply been a case that the person wanted to have the appearance of emissions systems to pass their state inspections. It also may simply have been a case of not purchasing the correct "off road" headers. Personally, I enjoyed yanking my AIR system out -- it's nice and clean in there!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Teching In

So I would imagine yanking my air system out would not cause me any ses lights or major issues correct? Did you pull the egr system out too? As far as the exhaust goes, its just a borla muffler, not the adjustable cat back.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming it's already been tuned out, then no, you won't have any lights or mechanical issues.

I did not remove EGR on my car because as it's an '02 it didn't have EGR in the first place. With that said, if I had a 98-00 then I'd absolutely remove the EGR along with AIR.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I had a 2002 SS and the engine compartment did look cleaner without the egr equipment.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this reminds me i still have my air pump attached in the car lol. As far as sound goes, borla isnt that loud. It sounds great and has a good tone, but i wouldnt call it a loud exhaust if you're with a stock cam. Plus, sound is very subjective. It might be quiet to you, but loud to your neighbors.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:06 AM
gnx
On The Tree

Here is your deal if you haveno lights on and no cats,then its tune out.If it not loud enough feel the tips and see if you have more flow on one side,if so remove the plates it will be much louder trust me.as far the Air tubes your not losing much power trust me,but you can tune it out,but to make it pass inspection still your going to have to do one or the other get another set of headers ,or cut and weld up the A.i.r tube so any idot will look at it and just think you never had it,but remove your sticker,and buy another one on line if your that worried about it.as far as the EGR yes you will gain some power due to the egr tube blocking the air flow through the TB opening,and also you my save your intake depening on how many miles are on it.I have seen many intakes have holes burnt in them due to the EGR and hot exhaust .the other option is to leave in the egr and just cut down the tube going inside the mainfold also by pass your coolant lines gggoint the TB those alone are worth 10 hp remove your screen in the mass-air for another 5-7hp also mod your air box and the lower dam another 5-10 hp..all of these are free and proven if you didnt know already,good luck oh if you need and advise from a pro give nick or mike@fastlaneturbo.com a call they have my ZL1,and have done my srt10 & my 98 LSX454 T/A CHECK THEIR new tv show

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Header question