General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just turned over 75,000 mi. on my 2000 SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just turned over 75,000 mi. on my 2000 SS

Bought it brand new April 2000. Just turned over 75,000 mi. Paint still looks fresh. No rattles or squeaks. car is very tight, with my mods it drives much better than stock. Wouldn't change a thing except a little more power. Will do a cam upgrade sometime. She's not my DD but a fun week-end ride. 5 spoke SLP chrome wheels still shine like new. Never had a problem besides a window motor that was replaced under warrenty. Can't understand why anyone would hate on these cars, she's light and nimble, no whine from the 9" gears and the 3.89's really mak a big difference.

Anyone else have a pristine 4th gen they bought new or close with milage around mine? what do you think of yours?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by FST SS
Anyone else have a pristine 4th gen they bought new or close with milage around mine? what do you think of yours?
Of the four that I have owned, I bought two of them new (a '99 and an '00). Both of those were sold many years ago though.

Of the two that I still have, I bought the '98 when it was almost still new (11k miles). It has been driven sparingly, only for show purposes and therefore is still in near-new condition even now.

The '02 was my daily driver for several years, I bought that one when it was just a few years old as well. It has over 100k on it now, but most people can't tell by looking at it.

I agree very much with this:

Originally Posted by FST SS
Can't understand why anyone would hate on these cars
They've been great cars. Wish I could still buy more of them new; they're simple, powerful, not loaded with gadgets and junk that I couldn't care less about, and t-tops are great! I think a lot of the complaints that we see now are due to the fact that most of these cars have some pretty high mileage, have had several owners and possibily questionable maintanence, and are simply getting older and wearing out. The well kept examples seem to still have some very satisfied owners though.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

original owner here, sadly it took a beating from being outside but i finally have it looking AND running great again.

i added konis and it rides firm. very solid. no rattles or squeaks after i had my exhaust bushings replaced.

4.10s whine slightly but even my stock 3.23s werent dead silent.

while i dont prefer to DD 4th gens anymore ill never sell mine.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine sat outside for the first 10 years but with a SLP car cover over it. The car covers lasted about 3 years, I'm on my 3rd one but it sets in a garage now. She still shines. The bubbles on the roof aren't any worse than they were after about 2 years... there is just a small line of 'um down the center of the roof...
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got 160k miles on my 99' T/A. Under construction at the moment soo its gonna stay at 160k for a while. She never let me down.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

People have bagged on these cars for poor quality etc., but they have stood the test of time. There are some well-known issues, but overall, they are dead reliable, resilient when beaten on, and capable of racking up very high miles. The paint is extremely durable, interiors hold up well if cared for, and squeaks and rattles can usually be searched out and easily fixed.

With the help of LS1Tech, even vexing problems like cracking Firebird door panels can be addressed before they occur. My cars are 11 and 13 years old, 89k and 122k, and get compliments all the time.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine has 86,000 miles on it. I keep everything well maintained. Other than some frosting of the paint on the lower fender panels, it is as good as new.

And it is my daily driver.

Getting another new set of tires next week. Put new Bilsteins on it this summer and replaced the sway bar links. Handles better than new.

Any time that there is an indication of part failure, I fix it. You can keep a vehicle going for a long time that way.

Hell, my wife's F150 has 135,000 miles on it and all I have ever done is change the oil, gas filter, and clean the air and MAF.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I also am the original owner but only half the miles. I never abuse my car and it has returned mostly just pure pleasure. No rattles or abuse issues. Sure I take it on spirited runs, like the LS1 is intended for, but certainly not anything extreme.
I also bought a new '96 Formula and it treated me just as well. Owned it for 9 years and the LT1 was flawless. I always laughed at Consumer Reports which gave my poor Formula all black marks (avoid at all costs). Yeah, right
Old 10-13-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is an 01 with 78K on it. Car has been extremely great and reliable even since added h/c/i/e. I did have a window motor, rear end issues that were all fixed years ago under warranty. I just had a guy in an F150 stop me at stop light and ask what years the car was, he couldn't believe how great it looked and sounded. Paint looks amazing still (although she sits in garage now). I do have a slight rattle but it started after adding my TD's and cam. Exhaust is very loud causing things like change to vibrate in my cup holder as well. My only complaint would have to be the bubbling sail panel. In certain light it looks terrible. I need to get replaced but I don't know of anyone selling them.
GREAT CAR OVERALL!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My NBM SS had 82k, was a well-maintained car but got driven a ton. Never had an issue except for the starter going out, didn't really squeak or rattle much either. My garage queen SOM SS has 17k as of today and actually rides/feels almost the same as my old car, just way cleaner. I think these cars are pretty solid, not sure why people hate on them so much.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Just hit 71k on my WS6. If you take care if it, not much to worry about. Drove it 2000 miles now since I got it and driving it is still the highlight of my day

R.I.P. Pontiac
Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a LS1 car but a LT1 with 95 miles and still runs great with no squeaks, rattles , drives good. The car is garage stored and it is not my dd, either.. Plans of the winter is to do a head and cam swap.. I do have a 5.3 litre here on a engine stand with 145k on it the cylinder walls are in great shape, no signs of a ridge anywhere. That motor will be going turbo next year in a 2wd truck..
Old 10-14-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

262,000+ miles on mine. It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Heads/cam all the bolt ons making 452/418 at the wheels. Still gets 19-20 MPG around town and 27-28 MPG on the highway. It been a DD and a real fun car.

Quick Reply: Just turned over 75,000 mi. on my 2000 SS