General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

00 Ls1 engine noise

Old 10-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Ls1 engine noise

I have an engine noise that I think is in the valve train. When I start the car up I hear the usual piston slap knock but just after 30 seconds to a minute of running, I hear a noise that sounds like a quiet cummins diesel that starts and gets louder and then eventually goes away after the engine gets up to temp. Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM

A Quiet Cummins Diesel? What is this dark magic!?
On a more serious note, check that the rockers are still tightened down well. If you have a stethoscope running around, listen to your block while it's running, you never know if it's a lower-engine (Or tranny!) sound throwing you off. Perhaps take a look to make sure the front idler isn't being funky?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by kevleetee
I have an engine noise that I think is in the valve train. When I start the car up I hear the usual piston slap knock but just after 30 seconds to a minute of running, I hear a noise that sounds like a quiet cummins diesel that starts and gets louder and then eventually goes away after the engine gets up to temp. Has anybody else experienced this?
Welcome to the world of LS1 engines. Normal. Mine has done that since day 1. Yes, I'm the original owner.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the info! Does seem strange but what do I know? I'm going to check rockers and related components before I run it again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 00 Ls1 engine noise