General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Don't Mention Mild Cam When Selling WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Mention Mild Cam When Selling WS6?

My car has most bolt-on's, plus a 224/114 LSA cam that's barely detectable to an untrained ear and passes smog. My issue is if mentioning it will lower the value at all, or push away buyers. I know it may be slightly unethical to not mention everything about a car, but I don't think deceptive.

What do you guys think? Mention it or not?
Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To a dealer? or private buyer?
Old 11-12-2013, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Private buyer...
Old 11-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Looking at it from the buyer's point of view - I would definitely like to know about the cam. Most people buying this type of car are enthusiasts, and like to know all the details about a car that they own. I know I certainly do. I don't know if it would devalue the car or not, but I think you have a responsibility as a seller to be upfront with all the facts of the car, whether there's a slight cost to you or not.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2^ As a buyer I would like to know every mod that has been done to the vehicle.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd expect to know as well -- and I don't think it'll negatively effect the value, either.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You already know the answer. Just do what your conscience is already telling you.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

you should mention it.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with everyone above. I dont think its going to lower youre value to be honest with you it might even raise it depending on the buyer, you should advertise the cam good. Dont only tell them its a mild cam. You obviously have that cam because you want it to be smog legal/streetable etc. That will sweeten up the deal for alot of people.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Default Do the right thing

I have bought and sold a lot of cars and I always disclose everything I know to the buyer; private or dealer. I believe the good we do always comes back around to us, and the bad we experience will be reconciled by a higher power...
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys! I might advertise it as a "smoggable cam" and post up the dyno graph results.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by 916LS1
My car has most bolt-on's, plus a 224/114 LSA cam that's barely detectable to an untrained ear
Barely noticeable?

That cam might be mild by today's aftermarket LS1 standards, but compared to the stock cam it's big enough to definitely be noticeable to most people that are at all familiar with these cars. I once had a 221/114 and it was noticeable even with the idle at 950rpm and a quiet SLP 2OTL catback. If the buyer has looked at one or more other examples, or has any LS1 experience at all, they will likely notice the rougher idle and/or higher idle speed. Someone also might just assume that the car isn't running well (a higher and/or rougher idle can often indicate a vacuum leak) if you don't tell them about the cam.

Either way, when it comes to stuff like this you have to ask youself, "would *I* want to know if *I* was the buyer?"
Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

Ive had both a 221r and 224r. They are quite noticeable lol
Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

I just tried to buy a car that was 400 miles away from me. I took money out of a 401K, rented a trailer, and drove 200 miles to meet the guy. I knew as soon as I made one pass around the car that i was not going to buy it. He could have saved us both a lot of time and money by disclosing the true condition of the car to me rather than taking pictures in such a way to hide the issues.

So I agree with everyone else.....disclose the cam. You will feel better.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hutchman
I just tried to buy a car that was 400 miles away from me. I took money out of a 401K, rented a trailer, and drove 200 miles to meet the guy. I knew as soon as I made one pass around the car that i was not going to buy it. He could have saved us both a lot of time and money by disclosing the true condition of the car to me rather than taking pictures in such a way to hide the issues.

I agree, Im so straight forward with my sale ads that I probably scare potential buyers away but in an effort to save my time, and their time I disclose every possible flaw or mod etc. I have never in my life had the first person come look at a vehicle im selling and not buy it. By the time they are ready to come see it they know exactly what they are gonna see. I expect the same from a seller when I go look at a vehicle but ive been very dissappointed when I show up to see some cars.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:25 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by hutchman

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I agree, Im so straight forward with my sale ads that I probably scare potential buyers away but in an effort to save my time, and their time I disclose every possible flaw or mod etc. I have never in my life had the first person come look at a vehicle im selling and not buy it. By the time they are ready to come see it they know exactly what they are gonna see. I expect the same from a seller when I go look at a vehicle but ive been very dissappointed when I show up to see some cars.
I definitely agree, and do the same myself. The case above is the exact reason why I won't travel great distances to look at cars; there are just too many people that are not honest or just not descriptive enough, and pictures don't tell the whole tale. I'm quite picky about certain things, and I've had enough local disappointments that I'm unwilling to take the risk of traveling very far.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Be truthful. A motivated buyer, that is mad enough , will haul your butt to court for failing to disclose it. A purposely misrepresented car is pure evil in my eyes.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:29 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I am glad that I am not the only one who feels as though they do this! I try to be as thorough as possible. Descriptions likely sound worse than they are, and as such, all of my buyers have been quite pleased after seeing the vehicle in person.

The Golden Rule doesn't have an expiration date.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

If I went to go buy a ta and found out it had a cam in it I would consider it a bonus
Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Describe it as a car with a "slight miss, just needs a tune-up!"

Quick Reply: Don't Mention Mild Cam When Selling WS6?