General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?

People with 4th gens, especially LS1's have their cars priced way too high. I see this a lot more lately and its really annoying, especially on craigslist. I came across one post were a guy is trying to sell a 2000 SS with 93k for $16.5, whereas I saw another listing for a 19k mile camaro for $11k. Why do people think these cars are worth corvette prices?

IMO the car in this listing is MAYBE worth $8k based on the description and pictures.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is annoying. Mostly because they either think that every modification they put on there adds to the price of the car with the parts retail value(stupid) or they just aren't very desperate to get rid of it.

I traded a Z71 pickup for my Camaro Z28 that I used to have and put around 5K into it. I was asking 8K but got desperate and sold it for 6K.

When I moved to Austin and got to where I could buy a 4th gen again I went through craigslist for months trying to find a good deal. I found tons of great 4th Gen F-bodies that were in really good condition but the owners thought they had corvettes or something! It was ridiculous! There was a guy with a beautiful White 01 SS that only had about 90K on it, cloth interior, power doors and seats. 6 Speed and ran great. But it had a huge P/S leak(spewing out when turning the wheel), e-brake didn't work, and the suspension was absolutely horrible. He wanted 10K for that car and the only mods were lid and catback exhaust. I test drove the car and offered 8.5K because of how clean everything else was but he wouldn't budge. He told me that he needed to sell it before he was deployed(Army) and I told him that if he hadn't sold it before he had to go I would give him 8K for it. 500 less for making me wait lol! But before he got back to me I bought my Trans Am. He called me about 2 weeks later wanting to sell it but it was too late. I already had the T/A. So now the car is sitting in a storage container somewhere for about 13 months...
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
It is annoying. Mostly because they either think that every modification they put on there adds to the price of the car with the parts retail value(stupid) or they just aren't very desperate to get rid of it.
Well Ik with my car I have added value to it and if I were to sell it I can get more than I paid for it due to the condition it was in and how much Ive cleaned it up. Id get nowhere near what Ive put into it and Im well aware of that. I just think that people think these cars are still the best thing out there but fail to realize the newest one is almost 11 years old now.

Same thing goes for the corvette sellers. I was talking with a guy I know who is looking to sell is bone stock 98 c5 and I bs'd with him and he said no less than 18K. Mind you this car is an automatic and convertible with 75k. People are out of their minds.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Well Ik with my car I have added value to it and if I were to sell it I can get more than I paid for it due to the condition it was in and how much Ive cleaned it up. Id get nowhere near what Ive put into it and Im well aware of that. I just think that people think these cars are still the best thing out there but fail to realize the newest one is almost 11 years old now.

Same thing goes for the corvette sellers. I was talking with a guy I know who is looking to sell is bone stock 98 c5 and I bs'd with him and he said no less than 18K. Mind you this car is an automatic and convertible with 75k. People are out of their minds.
Well yeah if you found it in a bad condition and basically partially restored it you definitely should get more than you initially paid for it. But you won't get out of it what you put into it unless you have a major parts hookup lol! I completely re-painted my Z28 myself while I was in college, rebuilt the trans, and did a major suspension overhaul. I was probably only worth about 4 or 5K when I got it. It was very sad when I got it, but I love projects and it really helped me get familiar with these cars so I am glad I did it!
Old 11-27-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think its great....just drives the value of mine up. I've had a few people approach me at car shows and offer to buy my car. I tell them for 25k I'd consider it.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems everyone thinks there car is rare and special when they aren't and the mods are cookie cutter.

I found my 02 B4C car with 105K for $4500.00 a few years ago.

Now it seems the economy is getting a bit better that the prices are going up faster that the economy.

Personally it would need to be something pretty special for me to pay over $8k.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really, each modification you add to the car raises the value maybe 15-25% for the cost of the part (no labor.) And depending on what you do, it might even LOWER the value.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"This business is full of unrealistic *************"
- Marsellus Wallace, in "Pulp Fiction"
Old 11-27-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Because people can still sell these cars way above "street value" to people unaware on sites such as, Autotrader. Thats what I would do.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Because people can still sell these cars way above "street value" to people unaware on sites such as, Autotrader. Thats what I would do.
Yep. Worst place in the world to sell an f-body is on LS1tech. Mostly lookie-loos and the real buyers are tough.

But the bottom line is, anybody's free to ask what the car's worth to him. For example, there's a certain amount I'd want for each of my cars, disregarding mods and such. It's what they're worth to me. I wouldn't sell for less because I don't have to and don't want to.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

5th gen guys are just as bad. I just saw a used 12 listed for more than a new 14.

Go figure
Old 11-27-2013, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

I just finished my search for the right car. Dealing with overpriced cars was easy. Go on to the next ad and get over the fact that you either can't afford it or aren't willing to pay the asking price. No sense in being bitter about not getting someone else's property for the price You determine is fair. Anything's value is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it: Not the market and not you, unless of course you buy it. Some people's sense of entitlement just kills me.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Most are just fishing.... Sitting back waiting for a bite
Old 11-27-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you think F-body prices are bad, look at what people want for a 240 these days... yikes!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by prokilllsx
I just finished my search for the right car. Dealing with overpriced cars was easy. Go on to the next ad and get over the fact that you either can't afford it or aren't willing to pay the asking price. No sense in being bitter about not getting someone else's property for the price You determine is fair. Anything's value is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it: Not the market and not you, unless of course you buy it. Some people's sense of entitlement just kills me.
Well stated. I just found the right car for me and the seller. I bought it at a price that pleased me and he was happy also. Money changing hands sets the market, not opinions.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think it depends where you live.

In my area of Michigan, finding a good clean 6 speed car is fairly difficult. Yes they are out there but the nice ones are going to cost some money. Add to it that these cars are 11-20 years old and fairly desirable and that makes the cost go up.

For both my cars I bought a car in rough rough shape and put in a little sweat equity to get them where they are.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Rather it cost more than a bunch of young kids owning them and tearing them up and making them really junk!
Old 11-28-2013, 03:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Rather it cost more than a bunch of young kids owning them and tearing them up and making them really junk!
what do you mean?

Like painting the dash red and yellow free handed!!

Lol, know I hate fast and furious wannabe kids.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Or people just neglecting them like they did my Camaro before I got it. Paint flaking off of it, interior trashed and broken, trans shot, and riding like a boat. I put so much work into that car. I love my T/A but I miss my Z28 because of all of the work I put into it.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

people on here flip out when i post our cars arent worth what a lot think.

ill never sell mine but i have no delusions about its true value.

Quick Reply: Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?