General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Power transfer - motor to wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power transfer - motor to wheels

Does anyone have a guesstimate as to what improvement, either in percentage or HP gain, that you have seen or would expect to see when going from stock C5 LS1 clutch to a McLeod RST? I had one guy say he experienced a 30 hp improvement on the power his motor got to the wheels when going from stock LS7 clutch to a RXT due to decreased weight. That's about a 5% gain. I believe this was with stock flywheel.

Any guesses going from C5 LS1 clutch to RST? I guess getting her on the dyno is the best way to find out...
Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you receive any "HP gain" it will only be when motor
RPM is changing quickly, and you'd have to constrain
your period-of-interest to within a single gear - the
momentum put to the clutch / flywheel is taken back
out across the next gear change.

Squint too close at a dyno curve and you can convince
yourself of a lot of things, that don't really mean Jack
in real life.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimmyblue

in real life.
Yes, thanks Jimmy. So the gain would be more at the low end of each gear and be mitigated as you reach the peak of each gear? Or did I get that backwards?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Anybody else have any input?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimmyblue

in real life.
Jimmy, also, would you venture an estimate of the gain when comparing like gears between the two clutches? I mean, it isn't as simple as a mathematical equation, right?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's also possible that that guys clutch was starting to fail and was slipping. If so then a new clutch would "gain" HP.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fry_
It's also possible that that guys clutch was starting to fail and was slipping. If so then a new clutch would "gain" HP.
I was thinking the same thing, that or "hp gain" from lighter fly wheel/new clutch setup. I want a 30+hp gain from a clutch. then i would be on the numbers I'd like to see from that alone.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fry_
I would think the who told me that, being a speed shop guy, would've mentioned if the clutch was slipping. Anyway, possibly a little of that. It was a heavy LS7 clutch though that was being upgraded from.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wilkes02SS
I was thinking the same thing, that or "hp gain" from lighter fly wheel/new clutch setup. I want a 30+hp gain from a clutch. then i would be on the numbers I'd like to see from that alone.
I thought about going with a lighter flywheel but my car is primarily a street car so I didn't want the harsher engagement.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wilkes02SS
I want a 30+hp gain from a clutch.
To clarify, I fully expected that was some sort of exceptional result (if even true) but it does make sense that with the lighter clutch there would be some drivetrain improvement. I was curious if anyone else had done this same upgrade or if anyone had enough experience to venture a guess as to resulting gain at the wheels from this upgrade. I figured a 1-3% gain would be reasonable just based on the typical range of HP percentage lost from flywheel to the ground.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

You will be able to use the power you have alot better with a lightwheight. Power output stays the same you wont see any gains on a dyno from a flywheel but you will sure as hell see it on the street.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jaxeagle

To clarify, I fully expected that was some sort of exceptional result (if even true) but it does make sense that with the lighter clutch there would be some drivetrain improvement. I was curious if anyone else had done this same upgrade or if anyone had enough experience to venture a guess as to resulting gain at the wheels from this upgrade. I figured a 1-3% gain would be reasonable just based on the typical range of HP percentage lost from flywheel to the ground.
Youre just freeing up the power you already have.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Right, freeing up the power that is already there but the dyno would measure the street value not the flywheel value, so wouldn't it show up on the dyno?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jaxeagle
Right, freeing up the power that is already there but the dyno would measure the street value not the flywheel value, so wouldn't it show up on the dyno?
I've been thinking about this for the last 24 hours or so. I will state that I am not an expert....

I believe that you would see little to no peak HP gain. However, if you consider the definition of power as being the rate of doing work, then you sould see an increase in power at the wheels as the car accelerates. I believe in a dyno pull, this would manifest itself as a steeper increase in the power curve and more area under the curve, but virtually the same peak HP as the motor lays over at the HP peak.

Since a quarter mile pass is a series of dyno pulls in each gear, I believe the lighter flywheel would result in a quicker ET with trap speed being virtually the same as before. This is assuming the car is geared to reach HP peak in the traps....... I would also think that if the car pulls hard through the traps, then you would get some increase in trap speed too.

Might be wrong, but it makes sense to me. Would love to see back to back passes on the 1/4 mile dyno to see what really happens.

My experience is based on an old alcohol injected dragster that would lay over at 159 mph. It would not go any faster in high gear no matter how hard we ran it in low. When the motor laid over in high gear, it became a real turd.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hutchman
I've been thinking about this for the last 24 hours or so. I will state that I am not an expert....

I believe that you would see little to no peak HP gain. However, if you consider the definition of power as being the rate of doing work, then you sould see an increase in power at the wheels as the car accelerates. I believe in a dyno pull, this would manifest itself as a steeper increase in the power curve and more area under the curve, but virtually the same peak HP as the motor lays over at the HP peak.

Since a quarter mile pass is a series of dyno pulls in each gear, I believe the lighter flywheel would result in a quicker ET with trap speed being virtually the same as before. This is assuming the car is geared to reach HP peak in the traps....... I would also think that if the car pulls hard through the traps, then you would get some increase in trap speed too.

Might be wrong, but it makes sense to me. Would love to see back to back passes on the 1/4 mile dyno to see what really happens.

My experience is based on an old alcohol injected dragster that would lay over at 159 mph. It would not go any faster in high gear no matter how hard we ran it in low. When the motor laid over in high gear, it became a real turd.
This makes sense, good reasoning. I'm interested to hear other comments on this. So, according to your logic and JimmyBlue, then I would be correct in saying the gain would come early in each gear rather than at the top of the gear range, thereby changing the curve but not the peak?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

Right it will come early
Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

I started searching and here are a couple sites i found with good info

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywhee...heel_works.htm

http://forums.nicoclub.com/does-a-li...p-t398381.html
Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I won't touch on the comments which pertain to the lower-mass flywheel; however, I believe that "real world" empirical results in power "gain" is likely attributed to replacing a worn out clutch that is slipping on the dyno/street.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I won't touch on the comments which pertain to the lower-mass flywheel; however, I believe that "real world" empirical results in power "gain" is likely attributed to replacing a worn out clutch that is slipping on the dyno/street.
I would have to agree

Quick Reply: Power transfer - motor to wheels