General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!

Hey guys! Little background, I picked up a 2000 Camaro SS/SLP, 127K miles, needs a bit of work. Paint is trashed, interior needs a drivers seat (leather is split) and the drivers window switch won't stay in the door. Carpet is worn, yada yada yada

Onto the real issues

P.O. Didn't know mods, so, anyone know this lid? It has shaved marks like it's been "bored" if you will.
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-2865942804.jpg

Is this the stock MAF?
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-3170637457.jpg

Is this the stock TB?
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-3961539294.jpg

Car has LT's, I think they're TSP LTs from the pictures I've looked up. Also in the pic, I've identified MSD wires
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-2802838210.jpg

Are these brake lines stock, or are they upgraded SS lines?
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-343593066.jpg

Found this bolt hanging out, under the drivers fender well there is some kind of cam it's screwed into, I tried tightening it, but the cam just spins with it
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-2803613712.jpg

Is this the thermostat housing? Seems to have a bunch of new hoses and clamps. Think the car overheated once
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-367058318.jpg

This was another odd thing to me, metal pipe instead of hose for coolant. Normal?
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-1732287819.jpg

What's this hose go to?
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-3854694455.jpg

These plugs? EGR I assume, being that it has LTs?
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-1431080499.jpg

Stock injectors?
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-900692039.jpg

Stock coil packs?
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-1546333435.jpg

853 casting heads, stockers for an 00, correct?
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-2005473682.jpg

Noticed some metal shavings on this pulley. Odd. Easy to replace?
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-3122910653.jpg

Here you can see where I feel like the belts alignment may be off. Looks to hang off just the tiniest little bit. Fixable?
FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-3572950717.jpg

Ok, here's where it gets nasty. Bought the car in the evening, ended up losing light, but it felt strong on the drive so I rolled the dice. Fail. Undercarriage is VERY wet. In multiple locations.

FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-445766050.jpg

FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-174574866.jpg

FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-1053258414.jpg

FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-4084655023.jpg

FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-3281970185.jpg

FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-1858847197.jpg

FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-2570274217.jpg

FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-161994845.jpg

I know, CRAZY large 2nd post, but hey, go big or go home, right?
Attached Thumbnails FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!-image-1505595449.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

Well you sure knocked youre first post out of the park. Move this post to the camaro section to get a little more answers probably.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Well you sure knocked youre first post out of the park. Move this post to the camaro section to get a little more answers probably.
HA, well, I tried. How would a gent move his thread? Mod help??
Old 12-21-2013, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

SLP air lid. Stock MAF and TB. Not sure on headers. Stock SS brake lines. Not sure on bolt. Thermo housing is bolted to water pump with 2 bolts. Metal hose pipe is power steering cooler. Hose goes to air pump I believe. Should be stock or stock type injectors. Yes on stock coil packs. Stock is 853 castings. Pulleys are easy to change. Oil pan gasket needs changing(not uncommon). Pic of loose wires on transmission go to rear o2's(behind cat) it likes like your cats were removed with an offroad y pipe. GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

MAF looks stock, so does the TB. Those braided lines are off of the ABS block, most newer cars are like that from the factory, not aftermarket braided, the ones you're thinking of will be going to the calipers. That bolt sticking up is for the strut, that one is normally a button head and is a PITA to remove as you need to pull the master cylinder to get it out, some just omit this one altogether and only use 3 to hold it. That is the thermostat housing. That pipe is actually a power steering cooler, they come from the factory with them. That hose is for AIR injection. Coils look stock.

EDIT: ^^Lol, quicker to the draw.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Teching In

unsure, yes, yes, hard to tell, yes, not sure, yes the fitting on the far left is the thermostat, yes its normal its a power steering cooler there are 2 lines on the bottom of it that go to your power steering pump, AIR pump maby?, yes i think (i dont have egr some im not real sure), hard to tell being as that is just a pic of the plug for the injector lol, yes, correct, i wouldn't worry about it unless it is making noise, unless it is throwing the belt off i wouldn't get to worked up over it. As far as the moisture goes it is a 14 year old car with over 100k miles on it so some of that is to be expected, unless it is leaving big puddles or is causing mechanical problems such as steering problems from the rack leaking i wouldn't get to worried about a little moisture here and there. especially if it is a daily driver. Just my .02 hope this helps you out and welcome.

EDIT: must have all been typing at the same time lol

Last edited by AndersonsSS01; 12-21-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: just because
Old 12-21-2013, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AndersonsSS01
EDIT: must have all been typing at the same time lol
Yup, lol.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Badass. Thanks for the replies. I totally get that it's almost a decade and a half car, but I'd like to keep the leaks to a minimum. Just trying to figure the car out, as well as the quirks of F bodies. I was a mustang guy for so long, I don't know these cars. I got tired of spending so much to still be slow LOL

Also, my steering wheel, at the tilt joint, moves about an inch or so down and to the left...what's up with that?

I also feel like a trans rebuild will be coming. It pops out of third sometimes, and sometimes doesn't want to go into 1st at a light. Shifter also is all lose, the **** can be turned in like a full 360* rotation.

All these little things are adding up lol
Old 12-21-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steering column wears out, Mine did that also and I had it rebuilt. Check the lines running into your power steering pump. They can leak down onto the alternator and steering rack.
The hose that you were holding would have connected into the stock airbox. Some people put a small KN filter on the end so it doesn't suck crap into the air pump.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Teching In

What's the air pump for/do? I assume it's been deleted in the tune as I don't have any codes, and this, EGR, and all the cats have been deleted.

How much was it to get the column rebuilt? Seems kinda ridiculous that a 14, not 44 year old car needs a column rebuilt. Doesn't sound fun, easy or cheap
Old 12-21-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow_FNG
What's the air pump for/do? I assume it's been deleted in the tune as I don't have any codes, and this, EGR, and all the cats have been deleted.

How much was it to get the column rebuilt? Seems kinda ridiculous that a 14, not 44 year old car needs a column rebuilt. Doesn't sound fun, easy or cheap
Yea they dont make em how they used to anymore but thats fine by me. All in all i woudnt be to worried about these things. Maybe just throw youre car on a lift and do some cleaning up under there so you can tell were some of the fluid is coming from
Old 12-21-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The steering column was a pain. It was rebuilt because I melted the plastic shims in the column. I had to pull it out, and when you are an overweight 60 year old trying to stand on your head. Anyways I'm sure you get the picture. I believe it cost me $300 but the guy took pity on me. If you are thinking about doing it look for a shop that does Steering wheel, airbag replacements for insurance companies.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slow_FNG
Seems kinda ridiculous that a 14, not 44 year old car needs a column rebuilt. Doesn't sound fun, easy or cheap
They get worn out from people using the steering wheel as a handle to lift them selves in and out of the car. My 98 T/A has 127k and it's still nice and tight, and the beat to $#!+ 95 Camaro V6 I had before it had around 120k when I bought it and it was a little loose, sold it with over 150k wasn't any looser. The condition of these cars depends more on how it was treated and cared for than Miles and age.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Yea they dont make em how they used to anymore but thats fine by me. All in all i woudnt be to worried about these things. Maybe just throw youre car on a lift and do some cleaning up under there so you can tell were some of the fluid is coming from
God I wish I could, I don't know anyone here in Tucson, I wish I had the money to just buy one lol I've always wanted one
Old 12-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
The steering column was a pain. It was rebuilt because I melted the plastic shims in the column. I had to pull it out, and when you are an overweight 60 year old trying to stand on your head. Anyways I'm sure you get the picture. I believe it cost me $300 but the guy took pity on me. If you are thinking about doing it look for a shop that does Steering wheel, airbag replacements for insurance companies.
So there's nothing to just tighten up or replace? I've got to remove the whole thing and have it rebuilt? What do they replace to rebuild them? There's got to be a better way.....or is there not? lol
Old 12-23-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe, I really dont' know. Mine had to come out because of the melted bushings. I don't think it was a big issue to replace the piece that caused the sloppiness. You may be able to do it without removing the column.
Mine wore out from tracking the car and hanging on for dear life a lot of times.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:28 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This might be helpful for your power steering cooler -- or the elimination of it! https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html
Old 12-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Maybe, I really dont' know. Mine had to come out because of the melted bushings. I don't think it was a big issue to replace the piece that caused the sloppiness. You may be able to do it without removing the column. Mine wore out from tracking the car and hanging on for dear life a lot of times.
AHHHHHHH, gotcha, thanks. I'll see what I can find. Seems after some searching it's a crazy common issue, and some have removed the steering wheel and tightened up some TQX nuts and voila. We'll see
Old 12-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
This might be helpful for your power steering cooler -- or the elimination of it! https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html
Sweet. Something is definitely wrong. The steering is tough to turn sometimes, reservoir is full, I don't know if it's binding (the wheel moves when turning even though I try to minimize it) or if the rack is going bad or what. I really know next to nothing when it comes to steering components, I wish that wasn't the case
Old 12-26-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

whew!!!!!!!!!! you scare me with that picture. use some autozone break cleaner on the under side to clean it and rags to dry it that's what I did to mine.raised it with jack stands high enough to get my skinny 280 pound body under the car!! ha ha congrats on the switch over you can build 2 chevys for the price of one ford. I. e. cam change for example.. the oldman...

Quick Reply: FNG lost in Chevy land. Help/suggestions appreciated!