General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Trying to get some ideas on a future engine build in advance

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to get some ideas on a future engine build in advance

For when my LS1 gets tired and I swap it.

I was thinking 5.3, LS1 top swap (heads and intake) and would a custom grind cam be the best choice for that?

Also, using the LS1 heads should maintain the LS1 compression ratio right? or would it make more power using the 5.3 heads?

I'm not trying to build a racecar, I daily drive it. It's just easier to get 5.3's and I would think maintaining the top end and a mild cam would keep it in the LS1 ball park.

It will be able to breathe, I have a SLP flow pack and BBK headers.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might as well upgrade to the 5.3 heads (243s) and get them ported and milled for nice HP gains. Depending on size cam you can mill them. Anyhow stock 243 heads are great flowing heads. As far as intake goes try to get a LS6 intake or a nice used FAST intake. Not sure what your budget limits are.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Currently it will be fairly limited, but that could change when the time comes. It's only got 126K right now, but I daily drive it.

You think a mild cam and what I said before would get it in the LS1 realm as far as "factory performance" goes? I'm not real keen on what kind of power 5.3's make without boost.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Any reason you would want to swap out the ls1 for a 5.3 besides how easy they are to get? I dont see why you would want to invest time and money just to get back into the ball park of what you had stock with the ls1. With 126k your motor will last a while as long as you maintain it.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Well i know it's good for a while, I'm just looking down the road. I would rebuild when it came to it, but that would be to difficult to pull off on a dd car. A weekend engine swap is just more realistic.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I understand what you mean, but I don't understand why would would want to go backwards when you would be putting in the time and effort to swap the motor unless its strictly about doing a cheap build. Just my thought, but if you're looking long term, why not save up more money and go with another ls1 short block and put a fairly mild cam in it along with the stock heads you are planning on swapping anyway.

Just from my personal experience, but I did what you are planning on, and I regret going with another stock ls1.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

They are getting hard to come by for cheap under 100K it seems like. I want a near new engine 50k or so less

Quick Reply: Trying to get some ideas on a future engine build in advance