General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Battery Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Relocation

I am interested in moving my battery to the rear of my 2002 Camaro and i had a couple questions.

I will NOT be running a cutoff switch so i was wondering if I could use a battery junction and connect the stock battery cable at the junction block in the engine compartment and then just run a 2 gauge wire from the battery in the back to the battery junction up front? Will this work?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2014, 04:38 PM

bump...
Old 02-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Well, it will work but not very good. That wire size is not adequate enough for the power requirements you have. Run 2/0 gauge power AND ground from the battery to the engine block for ground, positive side of batt to anl fuse holder with 500 amp fuse, from there to your junction block. Run another ground(same size) from your engine block to the chassis. Use that 2 ga for your alternator power back to the battery fuse holder.
This gives everything running on the battery the proper voltage and eliminates any electronic gremlins you could/would have doing it any other way. Always fuse your batt power cable. A pinched cable in the event of an accident will result in your car up in flames real fast.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

How did you come up with a 500 amp fuse?

To span the length of a F-body you SHOULD run 1 or 1/0 gauge cable to maintain optimum voltage. You have to consider the resistance per foot of the gauge of cable.

I ran 1/0 welding cable from the battery to 2, 200 amp breakers in parallel, 1/0 from the breaker to a RFD1 (rockford fosgate part) 1/0 in, 2 1/0 gauge exits. 1 goes to the starter, 1 goes to the fuse box.

Run a 2 gauge power cable from the alternator back to the battery, you CAN install a 200-250amp fuse in event of an alternator surge these are helpful.

Run a 1/0 gauge GROUND (equivalent size as power wire), from the battery to the vehicle frame. 2 gauge ground from alternator to frame. You would then want to ground the ENGINE to the frame with 1/0 or 2 gauge ground cable, then possibly 1 or 2 large gauge tinned ground straps.

Honestly I don't think you can go overkill on grounds.

If your not trying to run a cut off switch to be legal, are you just remounting it to clean up the bay?

Tick performance sells a relocation kit, obviously not legal for drag racing but relocates the battery.

There's multiple battery relocation threads in the forum if you search.

Last edited by SinisterWS6; 02-08-2014 at 03:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation