General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Which one would you take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 04:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one would you take?

So, I previously owned a camaro and a cts v and due to issues with my work moving me around I had to sell. Since that day i've been driving gas milage boring cars and I've finally saved up enough to afford a fun car again.. Well I have saved up enough and I don't want to settle for anything than less than I want and I think i've narrowed my choice down to two local cars, but I'm just not sure which is the better buy in the long run. I'd like anyone in put who has owned either of these cars if possible.

So car one, 1999 Corvette, fully loaded garage kept it's whole life with only 36k miles on it. 100% stock other than a borla catback. This is my friends car and he has taken great care of it but he is moving and can't take it with him, he will let it go for only $12,000 BUT, once in awhile 3rd gear grinds under hard acceleration. Based on the symptoms i've seen driving it, it's not every time but i think it could be a synchro issue which would need taken care of.
The other car is a 2000 Pontiac trans am WS6 with 40k miles. The car has a Torquer v2 cam, intake, full exhaust and is set up for nitrious but has only been sprayed 2-3 times The owner only wants 9k for the car and it comes with a couple extra goodys ( a second set of rims / tires that are like new) This car has minior cosmetic damage that is less than 1k and is only noticable if you know where to look

Both cars are 6 speed, The purpose of the car is to be a summer fun car, I have another car for bad days so they will not see rain/snow. But I'd still like to take them on cruises etc. I will take either car to the track maybe once or twice a year and will be driven like a sane human being the rest of the time. I always wanted a vette, but i love the look of a ws6.

Things i'm worried about:
Reliability of the modded ws6. I've never had a car that was built like this and i don't know how reliable it can be.
The upfront cost of fixing the Corvette, if it needs anything more than a few synchros etc i will be using more money than i'd care to, I don't wanna spend more than 14k I can afford it if it needs a new transmission but id rather not. I could drive it without using 3rd gear i guess but i think i would just rather have a working car and get it taken care of.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:38 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think you need to look more! dont pick from 2 cars when there are 1000, imo i would go with the c5, way nicer of a car than any fbody, thats just me, do bolt ons,cam, nice wheels on the c5, c5s hold value alot better than 4th gens, 4th gen market has been falling for awhile
Old 02-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and if your looking for a clean nice car save a lil more money and get a c5z,also is the vette a frc? i would only buy a frc
Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree, FRC or Z06. Both cars are 14 years old so from a reliability perspective, I'd expect some **** to break here and there. A properly built cam car will be reliable but I'd check valve springs to start. Sounds like the WS6 was beat on somewhat. I think Tick Performance would probably be able to repair/upgrade the C5 trans for "cheap" ~ $1500-2000 range.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Keep looking. Don't be afraid to travel to get the car you truly want. You stated that 'you don't want to settle'. I'm sure you can do better than 'settling' for cars that have potential issues.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

both cars seem nice.

if reliability is a concern which it should be go with that C5 though dont expect it to not need further repairs due to age.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

If you're looking at cars that are ~15 years old, chances are most of them will need something, either mechanical or cosmetic or simply to be caught up on general wear items/maintenance. Few cars of this age are actually perfect, and of those that are you'll be paying a premium price - and it sounds like you're on a specific budget.

Based on only what we know from the descriptions, the WS6 is definitely more of a risk due to being modified. Buying someone else's project is always hit-or-miss, so I wouldn't expect a modded car to be issue-free and as reliable as stock from the day you pick it up (it might be...but I wouldn't count on it).

I definitely understand the desire to buy locally, as I'm not willing to travel very far since I'm easily disappointed and don't care to invest a bunch of time/money in travel. But I also live in an area with tons of people and therefore many cars to choose from. If the local selection isn't very big, you may be forced to consider a wider range, or you'll have to choose from what is close to home....which means you may have to fix one up a bit. If you don't mind doing the repairs, I think the C5 would be the less risky pick of the two.

Unlike some of the above replies, I don't like the C5 FRC/Z06 (or 'vert) body style at all, so I would only consider a regular C5 myself.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you know the specifics of the build, I would stay away from modded cars. Just the fact that its modded entails that it was beat on. If all you want is a summer car, I'd go with the vette. It's quicker and its interior is much better than an F-Body. But the WS6 is more 'practical' with 4 seats and and useable trunk. And it'll get more looks, if that's what your after.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed^ Stay away from modded cars in your case. Keep lurking for a bonestock c5 zo6. Its your best choice.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your dollar the Vette is the best bet. I stay away from anything that has had nitrous added, just a bomb waiting to go off and the sellers always say "its only been sprayed 2-3 times" which usually means 200-300 times!
If you are not satisfied then keep looking, something will pop up.

Quick Reply: Which one would you take?