General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Odd engine shake during shutdown

Old 03-05-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Odd engine shake during shutdown

So I may be making something out of nothing but I have noticed that my engine kinda shakes a little when I turnoff the ignition. It's subtle but I notice it. Nothing like deiseling but more like it turns an extra 1/4 or 1/2 rotation after it should have stopped. Just curious if anybody knows what I'm talking about. Not sure if there is anything that can be done about it. Just seems like its kinda rough when it stops. It's 11:1 compression but I remember it doing this before the rebuild when it was 10:1.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Could be completely unrelated, but our boat (with a 5.7 Chevy engine) sometimes has "engine run on" where it will sputter and not quit until you turn the key back on then turn it off again..
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

I'm probably splitting hairs on this one but it's just a slight shake. Seems like the engine is just rotating a extra 1/2 turn or so past the normal stop point. It's enough to rattle the exhaust a little.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had something similar on my truck, I have dual exhaust that exits in front of the back wheels. After I got a tune I noticed that it seemed to give an extra puff (sound not smoke) out of the driver's side tip after I shut it off. My guess is advancing the timing is just enough to barely start a new cycle.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike_hawk
I had something similar on my truck, I have dual exhaust that exits in front of the back wheels. After I got a tune I noticed that it seemed to give an extra puff (sound not smoke) out of the driver's side tip after I shut it off. My guess is advancing the timing is just enough to barely start a new cycle.
That's a great way to describe it. Sounds like a solid explanation too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odd engine shake during shutdown