General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Exhaust choice help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust choice help

I have been researching exhaust choices for my 00 ss with stock manifolds and I am finding catbacks that are really loud like the loudmouth or on the quieter side like the magnaflow. My question is, is there something in between? I would be willing to do swap just the muffler.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nascardude56
I have been researching exhaust choices for my 00 ss with stock manifolds and I am finding catbacks that are really loud like the loudmouth or on the quieter side like the magnaflow. My question is, is there something in between? I would be willing to do swap just the muffler.
TONS of in between setups. on a 1-10 scale, Flowmaster is about an 8, there are lots of medium loud setups. check out borla pro xs for quieter, borla xr1 for louder, pypes, dynomax ultraflo..the list is endless.

type in ls1 exhaust kn youtube to get a feel for what sounds like what.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KingJacobo
TONS of in between setups. on a 1-10 scale, Flowmaster is about an 8, there are lots of medium loud setups. check out borla pro xs for quieter, borla xr1 for louder, pypes, dynomax ultraflo..the list is endless.

type in ls1 exhaust kn youtube to get a feel for what sounds like what.
Thanks, the only thing about sound clips is that they dont really depict the volume of the exhaust, just the tone, but ill check out the xr1
Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dynomax sounds great here. not too loud but throaty.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

In terms of pre-fabbed F-body catbacks, Corsa would fall between Magnaflow and Loundmouth in terms of volume. If you're looking at mufflers only, there are a TONS of options all with slightly different tone/volume.....too many to list really, since many brands offer more than one style/type of muffler.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
In terms of pre-fabbed F-body catbacks, Corsa would fall between Magnaflow and Loundmouth in terms of volume. If you're looking at mufflers only, there are a TONS of options all with slightly different tone/volume.....too many to list really, since many brands offer more than one style/type of muffler.
What would be a stock replacement muffler that falls in between?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

What would be a stock replacement muffler that falls in between?
A Flowmaster 80-series muffler would fall right between Magnaflow and Loudmouth in terms of volume, and fit right where the stock muffler currently sits. But many people don't like the crossflow Flowmaster design since it's not really worth much power over a stock muffler. I have always loved the sound of Flowmaster though, so if I was worried about giving up power over some other muffler, I would just add a cutout for competition purposes.

But like I mentioned above, when you're looking at mufflers only (vs. prefabbed catbacks) you have a ton of options, even from just one manufacturer. For example, Flowmaster offers MANY different mufflers, though most of them would require you to delete one of your tail pipes (unless you want to go true dual and use two mufflers). Flowmaster 10-series would be louder than the 80-series crossflow, and flow much better, but would force you into a single in/single out configuration if you want to put a muffler in the stock location.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

What about dynomax and spintech?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Dynomax Ultra Flo #17227 would swap right in with minimal adjustment, and it flows really gooo, but it's comparable to the Magnaflow with being somewhat quiet at idle. FYI, the Dynomax an Magnaflow are still noticeably louder then stock at WOT, so that's a plus!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17227/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-12267/overview/

The SpinTech in stainless steel is almost $240, mild steel (unpainted) is about $140.
The SpinTech model is Sportsman SplitCase 343SC (3" inlet , 2.5" outlets). I had one on my FM cat-back years ago and it was somewhat loud, and sounded fairly good, but it had just enough drone inside the car that I was ready for something different after about 6months.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-07-2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: bad spelling!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Teching In

I found a deal on a magnaflow, but I was leaning towards a hooker aero chamber and a flowtech afterburner. I too was looking for sound while thinking ahead in the future.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

How much louder than stock is a magnaflow? I just want a aggressive cold start and the lower the drone the better
Old 03-07-2014, 08:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

How much louder than stock is a magnaflow? I just want a aggressive cold start and the lower the drone the better
With a stock engine, stock manifolds and cats, Magnaflow is only a little deeper and louder than stock at idle and low rpms. It does get louder at WOT though. IMO, it does not have an "aggressive" cold start unless you delete the cats.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The magnaflow is possibly the best bet for that.
Quad tips
Single duals
Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
With a stock engine, stock manifolds and cats, Magnaflow is only a little deeper and louder than stock at idle and low rpms. It does get louder at WOT though. IMO, it does not have an "aggressive" cold start unless you delete the cats.
this is exactly how it sounds on my GTO.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Is there something louder on startup than a magnaflow without as much drone as a lm1?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yah, put your foot in it when you start it up. Ha.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Yah, put your foot in it when you start it up. Ha.
Haha, how is the slp powerflo exhaust?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Banned

For something simple. The Flowmaster 80 series muffler swap is great. Not the best but if I was to just swap the muffler. I'd do the Flowmaster 80 series.

If I wanted to do it right, I would highly avoid the Hooker. Don't ask, just trust me, the price is low for a HUGE reason and you will kick yourself in the nuts for purchasing it based on price. It is REALLY loud on WOT but for the sake of quality and fitment, I would avoid the Hooker.

My choice is the Magnaflow. It's got a nice sound on idle. Not too annoying at highway speeds to where you cannot hear someone talking and on WOT, people will notice the sound but not because it's a nasty rasp but because it sounds like what a muscle car should sound like.

The SLPs are VERY popular for a reason. But over the years, I have seen customers who originally bought the SLP LM from us swap over to the Magnaflow with us. After a couple years, you kinda get tired of the crazy sound it produces and maybe you feel it's because you're a little older now and you feel you don't really need to show off to every idiot in the Walmart parking lot.

The Magnaflow is a GREAT choice. It depends on really how much you are willing to spend. The single tips are nice but are over done. The dual/dual tips look great and not many people have them on F-Body's because they are unwilling to pay the price.

See the links above for the Magnaflow's we carry.

We also have the SW chambered exhausts which are like the old GMMG exhausts.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Nearly any of the SLP will be loud. But then it all depends on what you call loud.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

If you had to choose between magnaflow and SLP powerflo, which has a better tone and less rasp. I just want something a few notches above stock ss exhaust

Quick Reply: Exhaust choice help