General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

10k build

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10k build

so far what im looking at is:

3rd gen camaro (or something with IRS)
lq4/9 or lm7
some good heads
PD cam
t56
and a roots type blower or centri type (majority of cost)

I would like it to be somewhat streetable, put down around 700-900whp, and run low tens. thoughts? can this be done? if any changes needs to be made I am willing to consider them...Thank you!~

Last edited by lsx_production; 03-09-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Gonna be tough with a roots, possible with a big centri.

However on a stock engine probably won't last long at the psi you're going to be running to achieve those power goals.

Safely you can do about 600rwhp, maybe a little more. Once you're pushing close to 1k on the stock engine is no bueno.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redtan
Gonna be tough with a roots, possible with a big centri.

However on a stock engine probably won't last long at the psi you're going to be running to achieve those power goals.

Safely you can do about 600rwhp, maybe a little more. Once you're pushing close to 1k on the stock engine is no bueno.
I agree. I'll move it to 600-700whp. I was also considering a different platform as well that has independent rear suspension (i know the 3rd gen does not have this) that can be fun on the track as well.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Aluminum blocks are typically only safe around 600rwhp. But if you go LQx or iron 5.3 then I'd think you should be able to push 800-850 safely without much worry. If not then I dont get why everyone says iron blocks can handle so much more than aluminum blocks.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll spend you hole budget on engine swap parts and heads and cam. To build what your talking about you better double your budget. Not trying to be a dick just telling it how it is.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
You'll spend you hole budget on engine swap parts and heads and cam. To build what your talking about you better double your budget. Not trying to be a dick just telling it how it is.
This, built trans/clutch/FUEL SYSTEM, rearend...etc etc......more realistic goal would be 600-650 rwhp but it's still gonna cost more than 10k to do all the supporting drivetrain mods unless you already have them.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Will you be doing all of the work & tuning yourself? If not, that's going to eat into that budget quickly.

You should be able to get the 600 - 650 rwhp mark on the dyno with $10K, however you'll need to upgrade the rear, clutch, tires etc. to get it all to the pavement at the track.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Will you be doing all of the work & tuning yourself? If not, that's going to eat into that budget quickly.

You should be able to get the 600 - 650 rwhp mark on the dyno with $10K, however you'll need to upgrade the rear, clutch, tires etc. to get it all to the pavement at the track.
I will be doing all the work myself including the tuning. just a rough list i put together myself and you guys can add...

roller 2k
engine and all things considered 1k
hpt 500
supercharger with all parts 5k
cam 400
ford 9" 900
fuel setup 600
clutch 600

total 11k

I can work with a 10k to 15k budget
Old 03-11-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lsx_production
I will be doing all the work myself including the tuning. just a rough list i put together myself and you guys can add...

roller 2k
engine and all things considered 1k
hpt 500
supercharger with all parts 5k
cam 400
ford 9" 900
fuel setup 600
clutch 600

total 11k

I can work with a 10k to 15k budget
Huge savings since you'll be doing all of the install work and the tuning. Your list is starting to take better shape. Going to be tough to hit some of those price points (really tough to get a 9" for $900 all in -- presume you have your eye on a junkyard find at that price), however since you have $15K as the top end of your budget I think you have some wiggle room to cover the difference.

Finally, what mix of driving are you building it for? Do you want a street car that runs well on the track or are you building a track car that will occasionally get driven on the street? That will dictate where you go with suspension, tires, cage, etc.

If you're building a street car that occasionally runs at the track and are running into budget concerns, you could scrap the supercharger/turbo and go with a nitrous build. Certainly a trade-off of having constant power vs. only what's in the bottle, however it's a decent compromise if you only need the extra power at the track.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your forgetting most of the engine swap parts and all of the engine parts that will have to be upgraded, headers, exhaust, motor mounts, trans x-member, electric fans, hoses, belts, fluids, wiring harness mods, valve springs, push rods, gaskets.... Also your list didn't even include the cost of a trans, bell housing, slave cylinder or master cylinder, and $600 clutch that can hold 600+hp good luck.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fry_
Your forgetting most of the engine swap parts and all of the engine parts that will have to be upgraded, headers, exhaust, motor mounts, trans x-member, electric fans, hoses, belts, fluids, wiring harness mods, valve springs, push rods, gaskets.... Also your list didn't even include the cost of a trans, bell housing, slave cylinder or master cylinder, and $600 clutch that can hold 600+hp good luck.
Good point. That is why I put the 5k buffer in there. well things to think about i guess. thanks for all the help! it has helped out immensely.

Quick Reply: 10k build