General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Does anyone have their car wrapped or Plasti Dipped?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sharpieferrari
I agree that plasti dip does not last. My 65 Cadillac has plasti dipped parts while my Ferrari was completely wrapped and my formula boat is also wrapped. It's even wrapped below the water line and it stays in over the summer at my slip with very little peeling after pulling out of water past two years.
this is similar to where my opinion of wrap came from , I spent a dozen years in the boat business (still in it part time/seasonal) and we were a dealer for both Formula and Fountain as well as others but those were the primary 2 brands we sold that got wrapped , you can print anything on a vinyl wrap from graphics to actual photographs of course here we are talking about more basic finishes such as matte finish. I have also applied a lot of vinyl graphics to wakeboard boats myself , we sold Malibu and I have had to do a 12 foot long tribal decal solo so I have a better feel for stretching vinyl and chasing bubbles and folds out of it so my opinion is admittedly based on a higher comfort level working with vinyl.

how about another option , anybody ever seen threads with people painting with a fine bristle roller using automotive paints? proper prep , right roller finish and proper wet sanding I have seen some stunning results for diy , removes the water in the air system issues and doesn't aggravate dust like a high pressure paint spray gun can. theres one thread that really struck me of a white corvair done this way , car looked darn nice...never thought a roller paint job could look good till that thread lol.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I want to do a matte black though. I thought you couldn't wetsand a matte black finish.

This guy has had the DIP on his car for over a year. What what it takes for him to remove it, I don't see how this stuff can just come off.

Here's another video he did showing how to fix rips or in this case a key scratch down the side. Pretty bad *** and simple.

New car look in short time

From start to Finish

Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I dipped my mirrors in black 2 years ago and still going strong after snow / rain storms and car washes.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:17 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
I want to do a matte black though. I thought you couldn't wetsand a matte black finish.
Yeah, definitely don't wet sand a matte or satin finish. That's basically just adding gloss to it. lol.

I'm very surprised at how long this stuff lasts. I was thinking 2-3 months and it would start peeling off. My DD is starting to get some rusting rock chips on my hood, door dings, etc. I might look into dipping the damn thing instead of trying to get touch up paint to blend and inevitably looking like crap.

For $400 you can spray your car one color, and then every year change it up for >$200 bucks. Not too shabby.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I had priced out some wrap about six months ago and found some for cheaper than that, but if you are going to laint your car down the road, then I can see why you are going the dipping route.
Because I am not ready to tear my car apart and go down the road of having it re-painted. I need to separate the body from the frame, strip both then get the frame powdercoated and correct any discrepancies on my body and begin prepping for paint. So to prolong protecting the body sure I will spend 500$ to dip my car.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know the cheapest place to get the Plasti Dip, by the gallon?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to have an 07 scion Tc for a DD and I plasti-dipped it. Stuff held great for about 2 years! No fade, peel, or flake. I eventually sold it and had to remove the dip but don't be so quick to assume that because it's cheaper, it's therefore worse. I think on a budget dip is one of the smarter decisions. It only comes off once you need it to.

Last edited by Nick.H; 04-10-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who say's plastidip doesn't last is lying. I've had the same coat on the wheels, spoiler and the grill for 2 years now and they're perfectly fine.
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have their car wrapped or Plasti Dipped?-3n33ne3h95g35k15m5d35f27dda66003d1db4.jpg   Does anyone have their car wrapped or Plasti Dipped?-3k63m13ia5i75gf5h9d3533799bb3d3c415a9.jpg   Does anyone have their car wrapped or Plasti Dipped?-3ea3m43h75g95e75mdd355b932313823f1ae8.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know you have to cut the DIP so that it's sprayable, but how far can you stretch a gallon with thinner? Can you cut it too 1.5 gal, for example, and it still be good?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

I know you have to cut the DIP so that it's sprayable, but how far can you stretch a gallon with thinner? Can you cut it too 1.5 gal, for example, and it still be good?
My understanding is that the gallons of dip already come thinned and sprayable. I watched a lot of dip your car videos the other night and the stuff is pretty thin in the gallons.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd never plasti dip my Trans Am, but the fake hood scoop on my '08 Mustang GT was sun damaged, looked like crap, the fiberglass cooks and the paint doesn't shine or polish. I pulled it off and coated it with matte black pasti-dip and it looks great!! Old school looking shaker now!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you buy the plane dip and not the sprayable stuff I think you mix it 1 to1 so it would make 2 gallons, So you'd probably want to buy 2 gallons of dip and 2 gallons of thinner. Search iamthepuzzleman on youtube he always mixes his own dip, I think he thins it with VM&P or xylene.

Last edited by Fry_; 04-11-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fry_
If you buy the plane dip and not the sprayable stuff I think you mix it 1 to1 so it would make 2 gallons, So you'd probably want to buy 2 gallons of dip and 2 gallons of thinner. Search iamthepuzzleman on youtube he always mixes his own dip, I think he thins it with VM&P or xylene.
Thanks man! I'll try and get that confirmed and let you guys know

Quick Reply: Does anyone have their car wrapped or Plasti Dipped?