General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

my 408 tsp motors chirping help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my 408 tsp motors chirping help please

So I have a 408 motor from texas speed with their 247 heads and ms4 cam in dd camaro for about 10k miles now. Two weeks ago I had a problem with cylinder 7 missfire well that problem either fixed it self or the alternator actually fixed it which makes no sense. Tje conpressions good on all cylinders just about 200psi. Now with the belts off im hearing a chirping noise sounds just like a belt that gets louder with the Rpms. The oil pressure is also noticeably lower then it was and the needle on the cluster slightly bounces at idle around 30-40psi. I feel like a lifters taking a dump but I need some guidance asap please.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried searching for a way to test lifters still inside the engine but didn't really find anything useful. Maybe you could remove the pushrod/rocker arm from the #7 cylinder and hold the lifters up with pen magnets and see if the noise goes away. Then you could be certain it's a lifter. Another thing you could do is make a recording, and count how many chirps you get per minute or per 10secondsX6, if it's the same as your engine RPM it's crank/piston related if it's half the engine rpms it's in your valvetrain.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Its just such a weird noise. The chirp is very inconsistent I tried using a giant screw driver and a hose as a stethescope without any luck.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mechanics stethoscopes are pretty reasonable and you should be able to
pin point were the noise is coming from.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_hawk
I've tried searching for a way to test lifters still inside the engine but didn't really find anything useful. Maybe you could remove the pushrod/rocker arm from the #7 cylinder and hold the lifters up with pen magnets and see if the noise goes away. Then you could be certain it's a lifter. Another thing you could do is make a recording, and count how many chirps you get per minute or per 10secondsX6, if it's the same as your engine RPM it's crank/piston related if it's half the engine rpms it's in your valvetrain.
thats a HORRIBLE idea. i would pull the front cover and pull the cam to see if it looks ok, i just pulled a TSP cam out that was chewed up and it was the same as what your saying, the guy didnt catch it before it ate the cam bearings up too tho... likely you might need new bearings and a cam. to check without pulling the cam you could use a dial indicator to measure lift, but it will be hard to tell with hyd lifters. i vote pull the cam and see what the lobes look like before it causes more damage.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny89345
So I have a 408 motor from texas speed with their 247 heads and ms4 cam in dd camaro for about 10k miles now. Two weeks ago I had a problem with cylinder 7 missfire well that problem either fixed it self or the alternator actually fixed it which makes no sense. Tje conpressions good on all cylinders just about 200psi. Now with the belts off im hearing a chirping noise sounds just like a belt that gets louder with the Rpms. The oil pressure is also noticeably lower then it was and the needle on the cluster slightly bounces at idle around 30-40psi. I feel like a lifters taking a dump but I need some guidance asap please.
Who is your camshaft actually made by ?

Comp cams has has problems with cam lobe failure . . .

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...comp-cams.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...am-change.html

Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Launching!

I have an ms4. How hard is it to replace cam bearing? Can it be done with the motor in the car?
Old 02-25-2015, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Thats exactly what my cam looked like
Old 02-25-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd call TSP and see if they're willing to help you with the problem. As Comps largest seller of LSx cams I'd hope they could at least get you a free replacement cam and lifters, it's not like they can blame it on installer error.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

My first thought was the cam when you said Comp.

Other people have experienced that chirping noise and it wound up being the cam.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Launching!

I called tsp numerous times. They told me id have to send them the entire motor but they doubt they could do anything for me since i had the motor for over a year and they have no idea what it was used in. They did give me cost on all the parts i needed though so i really cant complain at all. I didnt even expect that much out of them so i really am thankful

Quick Reply: my 408 tsp motors chirping help please