General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Will the 4th gens be valuabe some day?
Yes
52.08%
No
39.58%
Other (explain)
8.33%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think these cars will be valuable some day?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Smoke
I think you're right. Even a good condition rare 3rd generation doesn't go for much in today's market. It's a 30 year old car, just not sought after, most people think they're ugly today.
It surprises me how many people on Craigslist are trying to get 4500- 5k for an 89 iroc with faded paint, ripped up interior, stock 305 tpi engine with flowmaster catback, and 150k miles. Meanwhile you can click the next ad and pick up a 4th gen z28 in fair to good condition for 5000-6000 with comparable miles.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Future Value

In 1999 I bought a new Z28 with every option. In 2002 while it was still stock, I ran 13.5 at 104 at the Bowling Green Kentucky meet. Since then I have made 51 mods...some minor...some major. However, I have kept the paint original and have every part that was removed. That is, things like the original exhaust system from the cats back to the extensions (in one piece as it came), the brake system, the cam, the water pump, the original suspension parts...etc. down to the lighter that was replaced with the exhaust cut out switch. Although it is not for sale when the time comes it will sell modified but with all the original parts. The car has averaged 300 miles per year (since 2002).

Right now I would value it at $12000 (with parts) and I would not expect that to change in the next few years. Oh yea, it has never run the 1/4 again.

Last edited by johnny camaro; 08-05-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Some of them already are valuable, having resold for at or near MSRP (talking about ultra-low mileage cars of the highest trim levels and/or desirable rare options.)

The average condition, run-of-the-mill 4th gen won't ever be worth big money, but it is likely near the bottom now and won't loose much more so long as it's condition is maintained. However, it seems that the top tier examples (both in terms of condition as well as desirable options) with ultra low mileage have never really lost much of their value, and are doing pretty well considering they are of the age when value typically bottoms out.

If you are looking for an investment, forget about 4th gens; really forget about cars in general since there are much better options. I don't see 4th gens ever becoming the '69 Camaros and '70 Chevelles of the future, as those cars were at the peak of performance immediately before a massive performance drought that lasted over a decade, thus making them something of a legend. 4th gens have come and gone during a time where cars continue to get faster and more powerful, so their only appeal is to those of us who are specific fans and/or those who appreciate the [relative] simplicity (though still much more complicated than an old muscle car) as compared to the cars that have come since.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Some of them already are valuable, having resold for at or near MSRP (talking about ultra-low mileage cars of the highest trim levels and/or desirable rare options.)

The average condition, run-of-the-mill 4th gen won't ever be worth big money, but it is likely near the bottom now and won't loose much more so long as it's condition is maintained. However, it seems that the top tier examples (both in terms of condition as well as desirable options) with ultra low mileage have never really lost much of their value, and are doing pretty well considering they are of the age when value typically bottoms out.

If you are looking for an investment, forget about 4th gens; really forget about cars in general since there are much better options. I don't see 4th gens ever becoming the '69 Camaros and '70 Chevelles of the future, as those cars were at the peak of performance immediately before a massive performance drought that lasted over a decade, thus making them something of a legend. 4th gens have come and gone during a time where cars continue to get faster and more powerful, so their only appeal is to those of us who are specific fans and/or those who appreciate the [relative] simplicity (though still much more complicated than an old muscle car) as compared to the cars that have come since.
well said as always. these are niche cars, for those of us who love them, they hold a certian value, but not in general going to be collectable to everyone.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

ultimately its supply & demand. from my point of view the retail sticker price on my car was 29k, i feel since i cant replace this car cheap if it was totalled so it should be worth about 1/3 retail in good condition. (given current milage) just my one cent & im not selling anytime soon. you can buy a project for 5k, a car like mine for 10-12k or a new car for 40k. thats reality.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Pretty much that. Recall that the first classic muscle car rebirth was from 1983-1990. When the very desirable muscle cars from 1968-1971 were barely 20 yrs old they were bringing big bucks in 1990. Nice 440-4v Superbirds were up to $100K.....over 30X MSRP. The Hemi cars and other scarce hipo engine variants were well up there in price too. In 1983 a '71 hemi cuda convertible could be bought for around $25K if you could find one. By 1990 that must have been worth $250K to $500K. Even regular old Charger R/T's were probably in the $20's. But with the crash in prices from 1990-1996 those cars became quite cheap again, at least compared to what Detroit was putting out in new 1993-1996 modern muscle. Many old muscle cars had as much or MORE HP and were half the price of factory new LT-1's. I couldn't afford a new $22K Z28 in 1993. But I certainly could pay the $4K that a decent driver, 4 speed '69 roadrunner could be bought for (and I did). A restored (or very nice original) '69 Charger 440 R/T could be had for $12-$14K in those 1994-1996 down years. I bought a similar '69 GTX for $10K. All appeared to be much better values than the new factory cars and they weren't depreciating in price any longer. You almost couldn't lose....and you didn't if you bought a decent quality classic muscle car. A $35K '70 Hemi Cuda in 1996 became $250K to 350K+ by 2007. The factory cars were "better" deals once again.

But in the following 20 years the above scenario flipped over. Those older cars don't match the new cars for HP or handling. And a restored '69 Charger R/T is probably $40K to $60K. For my money give me a 1999 SS with 15K miles for $13K. Things sure have flipped. And with the LS-1's being eclipsed by more powerful engines the past 10 years, the only ones that will increase their value over time will be the most pristine and lowest production cars (the top 1-5% of what's left). The 1996-2008 collector car market was the perfect storm. I don't think those conditions will be repeated again in the next 20-30 years.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-06-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 AM

My take on it is, the way kids are today you 1st generation Xbox will be worth more than your F body will ever be. Car enthusiast are going to be a thing of the past. These kids care less about cars.

When I was growing up... every kid had his drivers license at 16, their are kids today in their 20's that do not drive. But they can hold the sofa down and play a mean game of Mortal Combat, or whatever is popular these days.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by Dino1
My take on it is, the way kids are today you 1st generation Xbox will be worth more than your F body will ever be. Car enthusiast are going to be a thing of the past. These kids care less about cars.

When I was growing up... every kid had his drivers license at 16, their are kids today in their 20's that do not drive. But they can hold the sofa down and play a mean game of Mortal Combat, or whatever is popular these days.
lol,well put.

im wondering what the average age is of someone who buys a new pony car. probably older than it used to be.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
im wondering what the average age is of someone who buys a new pony car. probably older than it used to be.
I'm sure it is, at least when applied to the V8 engine options.

There is no longer such a thing as an "affordable" new muscle car, when affordability is defined by the younger crowd who used to be most interested in such a car decades ago. Standardization of options is part of the problem (can rarely get a stripped down, gadget-free cheap version with the best engines any more), the other part is that buyers demand a complete touring car (high end brakes, suspension, etc.), and the final part is that all of this must be wrapped up in a package that can meet current emission, MPG and crash standards. It's expensive to build a car like this, and young people with limited income and student debt are not often going to find such a car affordable when brand new.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

in the early 70's you had big motors & rare / low production cars then nothing great after the 1974 oil embargo. if after 2002 all car companies stopped making 350's or larger and went 100% fuel efficient smart cars i would guess our cars would skyrocket but now bigger & faster motors not likely we'll see a big return on our hobby cars.

Last edited by DANOZ28; 08-06-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you think these cars will be valuable some day?