General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Lsx confliction!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsx confliction!!

Hi all,

I actually forgot I had registered here a while back when I got my 97 LT1 vert. I have since sold it years ago and been through a couple cars and classics since. However, I have the itch for an LSX car and am really conflicted on each one. Of course, I've done my requisite lurking here to read more about each but I still don't know what I want.

Budget: $8-18k (18 is really pushing it though, I'd have to put nothing into it)

What I'm considering:

98-02 WS6

Pros
-Easy to mod
-Quasi reliable
-Look cool
-Cheaper overall

Cons
-Cheap interior (meh)
-Weakish rear end (will be shooting for ~400rwhp)
-Tough to find in good condition/low mileage for decent money

99-00 C5 FRC or 02 Z06

Pros
-Sexeh
-Light and quick as hell
-Handles on a dime
-Better resale

Cons
-Expensive to repair/more expensive to mod
-Also cheap interior
-Expensive overall (Found 1 or 2 02 Z06 for ~18k)
-Insurance is likely more

04-07 CTS V

Pros
-Nice looking car (read: sleeper as hell)
-LS6 right off the bat
-Usable rear seats/trunk

Cons
-Heavy
-THAT REAR END
-Cost to repair? Not sure of this one
-Expensive to mod? Also not positive of everything

My application will be my fun car/daily driver. I commute about 20 miles round trip to work and 70% of it is highway. It's not much, but I'd like it to be more fun than my 2012 4cyl Tacoma and to do better on the highway. I've found examples of each that fit within my budget, but I'd obviously like to keep it as cheap as possible with the best bang for my buck. Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

1. c5 Z06
2. Trans Am or Camaro
3. CTS-V

I like the vette the best because its light and with a few small mods it will haul ***. Its hard to beat the cost of modding a fbody though. Out of those two I'd just try to find the best deal that fits in your budget.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Teching In

That's about where I am as well. Honestly, the CTS-V would probably be top of the list if it was more reliable and didn't have a crap resale. Not that I would be looking to sell right away, but that others find value in it as well. Having usable seating for 5 would be a perk, but it isn't top of my priority list right now. V8 fun that does decent on the highway is top priority
Old 07-10-2014, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Corvus
That's about where I am as well. Honestly, the CTS-V would probably be top of the list if it was more reliable and didn't have a crap resale. Not that I would be looking to sell right away, but that others find value in it as well. Having usable seating for 5 would be a perk, but it isn't top of my priority list right now. V8 fun that does decent on the highway is top priority
Have you given the g8 GT any consideration? You can get your extra seating and still haul ***.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
Have you given the g8 GT any consideration? You can get your extra seating and still haul ***.
I was originally considering an 05-6 GTO as I am a fan of the Monaro looks. However, many around me are either really high mileage or still going for a good chunk of change. C5 kind of change. Plus, I think they are way too heavy for what you get. CTS V I get, but the goat is a boat for no particular reason.

I'm not really a fan of the looks of the G8, but I had considered it. A little too pedestrian for my tastes.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

I dont know if there is a better cost/performance car available right now thats better than a C5 Z06. Plus they look ridiculously badass. I might be biased
Old 07-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StripedZebra
I dont know if there is a better cost/performance car available right now thats better than a C5 Z06. Plus they look ridiculously badass. I might be biased
Sweet Z

Turns out I may have just sourced an 02 Black Z with 56k and a couple tasty mods. Hopefully will check it out next weekend. It's a good couple hours away from me though.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StripedZebra
I dont know if there is a better cost/performance car available right now thats better than a C5 Z06.

Agreed, if no backseat is not an issue for you c5z06 is your winner.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jay-P
Agreed, if no backseat is not an issue for you c5z06 is your winner.
Yeah def top of my want list. If the CTS-V had the kind of performance/handling/reliability/aftermarket support it may take the cake. But I can live without the back seat and a fun DD/weekend toy car

Wish me luck, working the finances

Quick Reply: Lsx confliction!!