General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

high octane questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default high octane questions

I did a search and wasn't able to come up with any answers. I curious to know if I put 110 octane in my car mix with 93, will that improve performance or harm it? Current mods are bolt - ons with a tune.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
I did a search and wasn't able to come up with any answers. I curious to know if I put 110 octane in my car mix with 93, will that improve performance or harm it? Current mods are bolt - ons with a tune.
A higher octane-rating signifies the fuel is harder to detonate under compression. So, unless you're tuned for higher octane fuel or are running high-compression (and thus tuned for it), there's no improvement with an octane booster.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by idle
A higher octane-rating signifies the fuel is harder to detonate under compression. So, unless you're tuned for higher octane fuel or are running high-compression (and thus tuned for it), there's no improvement with an octane booster.
So it won't harm performance, just not do anything for it. At least it should clean my fuel system...right? I'm getting it free so it's not a big deal. I just want make sure I don't **** my car up.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
So it won't harm performance, just not do anything for it. At least it should clean my fuel system...right? I'm getting it free so it's not a big deal. I just want make sure I don't **** my car up.
Higher octane fuels are not cleaner or 'better' than lower octane unless you require higher octane fuel in high compression or boosted applications. It won't hurt it, but may decrease performance since the fuel is 'harder' to detonate.

My grandfather, for years, purchased 93 Octane fuel for his Prism (4 cylinder econobox) and I always wondered why he did that, but he was the type of guy that you didn't question his motives. Well... he wasn't necessarily a car guy and he wasted a lot of cash on that fuel.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as long as it's unleaded 110 that is safe for catalytic converters then you won't hurt anything. don't expect higher octane to clean better or worse. what does any cleaning would be the detergent additives in gasoline, which has nothing to do with octane. and then how well those additives clean the back side of the intake valve or not leave deposits is unknown as far as i'm concerned, nothing out there conclusive.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
as long as it's unleaded 110 that is safe for catalytic converters then you won't hurt anything. don't expect higher octane to clean better or worse. what does any cleaning would be the detergent additives in gasoline, which has nothing to do with octane. and then how well those additives clean the back side of the intake valve or not leave deposits is unknown as far as i'm concerned, nothing out there conclusive.
I have Lts without cats. My o2's should be good...right? I'm asking a lot of questions so I can learn.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

If it's leaded race fuel then it's a no go. Your o2s will suffer and cats if you have. If it's unleaded you probably be fine.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

110 in an application that only requires 93 will in fact harm performance or at least MPG. The higher octane is more resistant to combustion (to prevent detonation), so if you don't have a need for the slower, harder burn (such as higher compression and/or more aggressive tuning as mentioned above, and/or hotter combustion temps due to FI, etc.) then you can only stand to lose overall performance with a higher, unnecessary octane.

A given engine will attain best power and MPG when the lowest possible octane is used that still 100% resists detonation (knock, pre-ignition) in said application in a same-conditions comparison.

A point or two of higher than needed octane probably won't make much difference, but if all you need for your current setup is 91-93 octane to resist all detonation, and you dump in a tank of 110, I would expect to see some amount of reduction in overall performance, including MPG.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks a lot guys...that's what I love about this site!!
Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 PM

More octane per mass of fuel will put more potential energy into your cylinder. Carbon and Hydrogen. Question is can you get it hot enough to burn it all and collect it? Can you collect more energy than when burning 93? maybe
Old 07-18-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually found out it's 104 octane.

Quick Reply: high octane questions