General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Where do you get your motors from?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you get your motors from?

I assume you get them from the local junkyard. But how do you get them for such good prices?

I've been reading here that I should be able to find a 5.3 long block for 500 or less.

But here, the only place I could get a motor that cheap is the local pull-it-yourself junkyard. And even then, they get maybe 1 or 2 vehicles a month with the LS series motor and those are all stripped within a day or two.

My other option would be to get a motor from the junkyards that pull it for you. But I've been browsing and a 5.3 is around 800 or so and a 6.0 is 1200. Just for the long block.

So, what gives?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it varies by location and you didn't put your location in your default settings , post where you are and maybe someone on here that is in your area can give you the inside scoop.

Up here in the northeast the 1500's and vans are rotting out and cracking frames left and right so you can buy whole trucks for 800 to 1200 .

you might want to try www.car-part.com the dash is important as there is also a website carpart.com. You will choose a vehicle with the engine you desire within a certain distance of your location or choose a geographical area from the drop down list , northeast , southwest ,etc.. and it will list out all the engines available at participating yards in your area with price , miles , notes on parts included/missing etc...

happy hunting!
Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
it varies by location and you didn't put your location in your default settings , post where you are and maybe someone on here that is in your area can give you the inside scoop.

Up here in the northeast the 1500's and vans are rotting out and cracking frames left and right so you can buy whole trucks for 800 to 1200 .

you might want to try www.car-part.com the dash is important as there is also a website carpart.com. You will choose a vehicle with the engine you desire within a certain distance of your location or choose a geographical area from the drop down list , northeast , southwest ,etc.. and it will list out all the engines available at participating yards in your area with price , miles , notes on parts included/missing etc...

happy hunting!
Hah, well unfortunately/fortunately where I am rust isn't an issue so most of these 4.8's and 5.3's run until they die or until the vehicle is wrecked.

Quick Reply: Where do you get your motors from?