General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Undercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Undercoating?

Did any of the 98-02 F-bodies come with a undercoating from the factory?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Only in the rear wheel wells and a small stripe along the underside of the rocker panel (on Trans Am, there was a small bit of factory undercoating overspray on the forward lower lip of the wheel well edge, this is not present on Camaro because the lip is smaller). Anything beyond that was not applied at the factory.

Dealers often offer undercoating/rustproofing packages that they push hard when you're buying a new car. Places like Ziebart used to offer this as well. You can also buy it yourself at auto parts stores and apply it any time. So if you're looking at one that has full undercoating, then one of these reasons would account for it.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And to piggyback off what RPM WS6 said, I've seen many instances where the undercoating was applied haphazardly and is all over everything under the car -- even up in the engine bay.

One would be much better off just washing under their car every so often than dealing with that practically impossible to remove stuff.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd only add additional undercoating if you're trying to cut down on noise transfer into the interior of the car; like road noise and/or exhaust sound. The only additional areas I'd apply it is on the floor boards and the whole rear trunk area, under the car. I'd also make sure to cover anything you don't want it on, like suspension pivot points, wheels, brakes, drive shaft, and the exhaust. A quality brand I've had very good results with using is CAE Quiet-Kote. it's labeled as a 'sound dampening spray", but its still basically a undercoating, just one that's better than you normal undercoating spray for reducing noise transfer.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

If you use undercoating be sure that you do not plug drain holes, I've seen cars that were undercoated actually rot from the inside out because water would get trapped because drain holes were sealed up tight.

Quick Reply: Undercoating?