General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Am I being impatient?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I being impatient?

This is my first time ever dealing with a local machine shop(non-vendor), so I'm not sure if this type of behavior is normal or not.
Anyways, about a month ago I dropped off my lq4 shortblock (forged with only 1000 or so miles on the rebuild) to be gone over as I suspected I spun a bearing (oil pressure issues and metal in pan).

So I found a shop semi local, talked to the lady behind the desk and told her Id like them to go through it and find out what's wrong and fix the issue.
All they really had to so was, as far as I know of, take apart the shortblock, find the issue and fix it, and then reassemble.
So about two weeks go by and i get my new harmonic balancer in and give them a call saying I'd like them to throw it on. So dropped it off and hoped to get a update on if they started or what they found so far. They haven't even touched it yet.
Another two weeks go by so now it's been about a month. I give them a call Friday leave a message asking pretty much for a update or maybe even a eta on when it might be ready. No return call. Call again Monday and got a hold of the guy at the front desk and he says they're working on it now and to give a call back tomorrow and he'll let me know what they find. Okay cool, I'm a little ticked it took over a month for them to start on it but whatever.
Today (Tuesday) I called them at my lunch at 10 a.m., and talk to the same guy and he gives me a little bit of attitude saying they still haven't got it apart and to call back after they're break around 2. Alrighty.
Call back around two and no answer. Figured they were probably busy.
Hour and a half later I call again and someone picks up, and hangs the phone up after a couple seconds!? Wtf? Called back two more times later on and no answer.

I thought I've been very patient, and on top of that their just going through a shortblock...
I don't even think it was the month already that really pissed me off, as much as the guy not willing to talk to me after he TOLD me to call back.
Thursday I'm going to try to drive up there on my way home and see what's going on.
Anyone else have any good/bad machine shop or even auto repair experiences to share?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Go get that thing...who wants a shop with attitude working on it any further at this point.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Go get that thing...who wants a shop with attitude working on it any further at this point.
^ Exactly! Pick it up and no you're not being impatient.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Like I said, I'm going to try to stop by tomorrow and I'm going to talk to them.
Hopefully they'll have some results, and if not I'm defiantly going to take it back.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand when any place of business is busy and can't get work done right away, but I would also expect them to tell me that when I bring my work to then so I can decide if I want to wait for then. If they haven't started on your motor pick it up and find a new shop.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cut your losses , they are refusing to communicate with you properly after you have been patient.

Expect to have to pay for any work they have done , tear down ,diagnosing what it needs , paying for any parts they have already gotten in house ( but you should get those) they will not release it till they get what they have in it.

Hopefully they haven't done anything as you suspect and you can just collect your stuff and bring it to a more reputable shop (ask for recommendations in your local forum section)
Old 09-10-2014, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

No, you're not being impatient. Go get your stuff and find another shop. Like said above, any place that throws you an attitude like that you don't need working on your engine.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Got to agree with the major conscious here; you're not being impatient.

IMO, get you car out of that shop ASAP!
Old 09-11-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unfortunately that is my experience down here in FL. I've only had one built motor assembled and it was awful. Months to assemble the short block, no answers for any phone calls or multiple promises for a return call.

Then the engine had some issues with my tuner getting it dialed in, gave it back to the machine shop (the WHOLE CAR) took six months for him to break it in. He got a base tune on it for free which was nice, but during the entire 6 months I was in the dark.

The day I showed up to pick the car up because I gave up was fortunately the day they wrapped it up. Ended up being a tough engine for sure though.

Grab your gear and GO!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I guess all ends well!
I gave them one more call on Thursday and this time a lady picks up. Very helpful and let me know what I wanted to. Short block should be ready Monday, so defiantly no reason to pull out now. I'll give them a shout tmr just to confirm its ready and I'll be off for pickup!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea this doesn't suprize me when I see this. What does though is the attitude these shops have that do this, potentially sending money down the road. When this happens to me I go down the road. Lots of deadbeats out there!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

The thing that scares me about shops like this is that you have to believe you're not the only one and how do you know they aren't going out of business because of the way they're running things? If this is their standard operating procedure (as evidenced by the attitude on the phone) of taking too long, not being communicative, etc, who's to say you won't get stuck with a torn apart engine in a box after they close their doors and don't finish the build? Heard of things like that happening. Glad to hear they are moving on it, but I definitely wouldn't go back or recommend them to anyone.

Quick Reply: Am I being impatient?