General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Belt squeaks during idle, ideas?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt squeaks during idle, ideas?

So the car just hit 132,000 miles, and now on cold days during idle I can hear a belt squeaking. Never had a belt replaced on this car, ideas on what it is and what it's gonna cost me?
Old 12-06-2014, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Could also be a pulley squeak, typically one of the idler or tensioner pullies (there is one for each belt: main and A/C). Those all started to squeak on mine around 100-105k miles. But if you've never done belts, it's probably a good idea to replace those first.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Could also be a pulley squeak, typically one of the idler or tensioner pullies (there is one for each belt: main and A/C). Those all started to squeak on mine around 100-105k miles. But if you've never done belts, it's probably a good idea to replace those first.

So just go ahead an replace all the belts? I suppose the car is old enough and high mileage enough it probably needs it. Any idea what that would run me at a local shop?
Old 12-06-2014, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by NoHope
So just go ahead an replace all the belts? I suppose the car is old enough and high mileage enough it probably needs it. Any idea what that would run me at a local shop?
There are only two belts, one for the A/C system and one for everything else. I've never paid a shop to do this so I'm not sure what it would cost. It's a very simple job that I've always done myself.

But again, you may find that the issue is still present even with new belts. In that case, it's likely going to be a pulley that's making the noise. There are many threads on this as it's a pretty common issue with these cars as they age. I had to replace both idler and both tensioner pullies (also a simple job that can be done with basic hand tools - though you need a torx bit and careful application of pressure on the A/C idler to avoid stripping the bolt head) to finally get rid of the noise on my higher mileage one, and that started right about ~100k as I mentioned above.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is a good one to try yourself, keep the old belts in case you break one on the road.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can replace both belts, all the the tensioners, and pulleys with Gates brand parts for ~$160 from RockAuto. And I agree do the work yourself. Most mechanics won't let you supply the parts so you'll end up paying $200-300 in parts and $50-150 in labor. I don't think I could even afford to own my Trans Am if I didn't do almost all of my own work.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Another suggestion is to ask in the regional forums if anyone is near your area that would want to (teach you how to) replace your belts for you. I'm sure a lot of people on here would do it if you through in a paid lunch or something.

You don't list your location, but if you're in the Indianapolis area, I'd help you out with this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Belt squeaks during idle, ideas?