General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Good clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good clutch?

hello, A couple months back I was dropping the clutch around a turn and it didn't come back off the floor. The next few days it was fine so I took a look and the fluid was filthy so I flushed it and made sure there was no leaks or anything. It has been working fine but sometimes I can feel the clutch sticking a bit and coming up slowly. I figured I might as well just replace it Since its probably an issue with the pressure plate or something else internal, Just curious if anyone knows of a good clutch for a reasonable price. Il probably just resurface the flywheel since it only has 40,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is one of those "need more information" questions.

Is the car basically stock, or is it modded (or plan to be modded)?
Is the car going to be a drag car, or is it mainly a daily driver?

My car is a slightly modded car that is (so far) only used for daily driving/street driving. When my clutch went bad, I swapped in the LS7 clutch, which requires a new flywheel. retaining stock driveability was critical to me, and the LS7 clutch handles that magnificently while still being an upgrade in every way to the LS1 clutch. It can handle more HP than I'll want in my car, and I won't be drag racing the car, so the flaws of it aren't an issue for my use.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z Fury
This is one of those "need more information" questions.

Is the car basically stock, or is it modded (or plan to be modded)?
Is the car going to be a drag car, or is it mainly a daily driver?

My car is a slightly modded car that is (so far) only used for daily driving/street driving. When my clutch went bad, I swapped in the LS7 clutch, which requires a new flywheel. retaining stock driveability was critical to me, and the LS7 clutch handles that magnificently while still being an upgrade in every way to the LS1 clutch. It can handle more HP than I'll want in my car, and I won't be drag racing the car, so the flaws of it aren't an issue for my use.
Sorry It is Stock except for a true dual exhaust system, I don't plan on doing much to it anytime soon but I do drive her pretty hard so I would like a more durable clutch
Old 12-29-2014, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

I have been looking at the ls7 clutch but not sure if I want to replace the flywheel, I also looked at the monster level 1 12'' kit as well
Old 12-29-2014, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your clutch may be fine, if it's not slipping it doesn't need replaced. It sounds more like you need a Tick master cylinder. It may also save you from having your transmission rebuilt, the stock MC doesn't move enough fluid and allows the clutch to slightly drag when shifting which will ruin your synchronizers. It is also likely why your clutch is sticking, your dragging clutch creates excessive heat and boils the fluid in the slave cylinder causing the clutch pedal to stick.
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...or-ls1-f-body/

Also the LS7 clutch really isn't that great for performance use. You're better off with either a stock replacement (still not that great but at least it's cheap), or a Monster level 1 or 2.

Last edited by Fry_; 12-29-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to replace your clutch the LS7 is great for a stock vehicle. You can't beat GM technology. I had one when the car was just H/C and it worked fine. At your power level it will be fine.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fry_
Your clutch may be fine, if it's not slipping it doesn't need replaced. It sounds more like you need a Tick master cylinder. It may also save you from having your transmission rebuilt, the stock MC doesn't move enough fluid and allows the clutch to slightly drag when shifting which will ruin your synchronizers. It is also likely why your clutch is sticking, your dragging clutch creates excessive heat and boils the fluid in the slave cylinder causing the clutch pedal to stick.

Also the LS7 clutch really isn't that great for performance use. You're better off with either a stock replacement (still not that great but at least it's cheap), or a Monster level 1 or 2.
hmm interesting, That makes sense and that would probably be a good idea to try before replacing the whole clutch but If the issue is that the Master isnt pushing enough fluid to the slave cylinder then I dont see how the clutch would be dragging causing the heat and the fluid to boil. Sure when im shifting it would slip more and be a rougher shift and what not but would it really heat up that much and that fast? If it was constantly slightly engaged then that would make more sense but that would be a different issue. I may just replace the clutch and the master anyway seeing how the stock master is garbage haha
Old 12-30-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i hope mine doesnt go anytime soon but id go with an ls7 clutch for my car.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i hope mine doesnt go anytime soon but id go with an ls7 clutch for my car.
Better be easy on her then haha, mine went out at 40,000 miles. A few too many burn outs
Old 12-30-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by ineedals1
Better be easy on her then haha, mine went out at 40,000 miles. A few too many burn outs
lol,my stock clutch has more than that and its fine so i should be ok.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Better off going with a monster or diamond stage 1 over the LS7 any day.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Better off going with a monster or diamond stage 1 over the LS7 any day.
Why? I haven't used a Monster clutch but I tried 2 different Spec clutches. They chattered and bit with heavy pedal feel. They put me off of aftermarket clutches. The LS7 has great manners at least if you aren't running a sticky tire with minimal mods. I have a McCleod RXT in the car now.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Had the same problem with my Camaro, clutch pedal would stick to the floor all the time, put in a new master cylinder, drilled the line, and bled the clutch and its worked perfect ever since. Didn't get any fancy aftermarket master cylinder just a regular one from the parts store. No real mods though other than 4.11 gears so I don't know if that would matter. Search the forums for "clutch pedal sticks to the floor" its a very common issue, a lot of great info to fix it.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^You can enjoy having your transmission rebuild prematurely when your synchronizers are ruined from a dragging clutch. You can talk to Tick performance it's the number one reason they have transmissions come in for rebuilds.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Why? I haven't used a Monster clutch but I tried 2 different Spec clutches. They chattered and bit with heavy pedal feel. They put me off of aftermarket clutches. The LS7 has great manners at least if you aren't running a sticky tire with minimal mods. I have a McCleod RXT in the car now.
Because an LS7 is just an upgraded LS6, still using an adjustable pressure plate. I haven't used Monster either, I have a Diamond stage 2 with lightweight flywheel and it drives very close to stock but holds 600rwhp. From what I've read monster and diamond (TDP) both feel about the same. Getting a stage 1 vs LS7 if I remember are both very close in price but you get a much stronger unit with aftermarket. Monster sells both, even they will tell you to stay away from the LS7.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

I'm running a single disc Mantic with 465rwhp and no problems.

My next engine I'm going to run their twin disc set up. They have been around for a while and make great stuff.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ineedals1
hello, A couple months back I was dropping the clutch around a turn and it didn't come back off the floor. The next few days it was fine so I took a look and the fluid was filthy so I flushed it and made sure there was no leaks or anything. It has been working fine but sometimes I can feel the clutch sticking a bit and coming up slowly. I figured I might as well just replace it Since its probably an issue with the pressure plate or something else internal, Just curious if anyone knows of a good clutch for a reasonable price. Il probably just resurface the flywheel since it only has 40,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance!
We have some great promotions on a wide variety of clutches for your car. Check them out with the link below and PM me with any questions you have.

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/s-553...on.aspx#Clutch
Old 04-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fry_

Well I put the Tick master cylinder in and the problem is fixed! I appreciate the advice and every ones help. Saved me from putting a clutch in gotta love this site!

Quick Reply: Good clutch?