General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

rare f bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Yeah, I agree, but at the same time even if there are quite a few 02 WS6's out there, I'd say 80% or more are higher miles and 95% aren't in as good of shape. Anytime my family goes on a long trip, I always look for WS6's and rarely see more than 1 out there. Hell, from MO to Austin Texas and back, I saw none. Saw a **** ton of Mustangs and Camaros, but no WS6's.
Even though the car is relatively common with respect to LS1 F-bodies, it's certainly true that condition can make it rare at this point. However, there are likely many more WS6s/SSs/Firehawks that have been retained as show cars/weekend toys/generally low mileage well cared for examples versus Z28s and Formulas. It's the base model V8s that nobody cares about when they are new, and then those become some of the rarest to find in #1 or #2 original condition when they are old.

Something like a stripper SS car or a Formula Firehawk would also be a bit of an anomaly, since most SS cars were highly optioned and most LS1 Firehawks were Trans Ams.....then even more rare would be to put one of the aforementioned in a low production color.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how rare my.ws6 is but its a 2001 artic white a4 car tan interior 21k miles and is mint
Old 01-13-2015, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any LS fbody that has never been modified, and has truly never had the **** beat out of it, would be rare in my opinion lol.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

I don't really consider it rare I guess, but I have a 01 blue-green chameleon with 16,4xx miles on it. The only info I can find is that in 01 they only made 306 in this color and only 53 were trans am's. Wasn't my choice color, but it's grown on me.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by JDEP162
Any LS fbody that has never been modified, and has truly never had the **** beat out of it, would be rare in my opinion lol.
Guilty as charged. 100% stock right down to the AC/Delco battery and babied since new. When I couldn't get Goodyears in the 16" size anymore I thought my life was over. Oh well, the BFG G-Force will have to do.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 02 Firehawk with 95xxx miles. Every day I argue with myself on whether to keep it (relatively) stock (it's got bolt ons at the moment) for the "rarity" factor or to cam/stall it and have a street monster.

I figure that the rarity factor is basically gone due to the mileage and that I should just mod it. At least that's the way I'm leaning right now
Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A
I have an 02 Firehawk with 95xxx miles. Every day I argue with myself on whether to keep it (relatively) stock (it's got bolt ons at the moment) for the "rarity" factor or to cam/stall it and have a street monster.

I figure that the rarity factor is basically gone due to the mileage and that I should just mod it. At least that's the way I'm leaning right now
Sounds like it's what you really want to do to it. I was going to keep mine stock since it had low mileage too. Then I realized that I didn't want to keep it low mileage and stock for someone else to enjoy. I got it because I really like these cars and decided I'm going to be the one enjoys it. I'm sure some people think I'm crazy for doing what I did to a car with this mileage and maybe I was, but I doubt I'll sell it down the road anyways. A car is really only worth what someone's willing to pay for it, and usually it's worth more to us lol. If you decide to cam it, the first time you hammer it you'll smile like the first time you ever got on it. Anyways, I don't know if this helped you or made it harder, but if you really like the car then I would make it the way you want it. Good luck with it man and as long as you're happy that's all that matters.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A

I agree with the bolded part. 95k miles would be considered extremely high for a collector car that's only 13 years old. There are still plenty of examples, even of Firehawks, with under 40k, 30k, 20k, and even some under 10k miles that pop up for sale, and that's where the collector dollars will go.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Sounds like it's what you really want to do to it. I was going to keep mine stock since it had low mileage too. Then I realized that I didn't want to keep it low mileage and stock for someone else to enjoy. I got it because I really like these cars and decided I'm going to be the one enjoys it. I'm sure some people think I'm crazy for doing what I did to a car with this mileage and maybe I was, but I doubt I'll sell it down the road anyways. A car is really only worth what someone's willing to pay for it, and usually it's worth more to us lol. If you decide to cam it, the first time you hammer it you'll smile like the first time you ever got on it. Anyways, I don't know if this helped you or made it harder, but if you really like the car then I would make it the way you want it. Good luck with it man and as long as you're happy that's all that matters.
Agreed. I know I cant keep mine stock, it's not in my blood. I want it to be what I want it to be. Why buy a low mile car and then mod it? Because I want to ruin it myself.

There will always be collector nuts out there keeping super low mile cars stock and in perfect shape for us to enjoy looking at years from now.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

My 99 is absolutely stock down to the battery and air filter. 57,257kms or whatever that works out to in Miles(35k and change) but I have full intentions on keeping it as long as I can (forever) and NOT modding a single thing on it. Ill buy something else to do that with. For now I take pride in it being clean, low milage and NO SQUEAKS, RATTLES OR COMMON F-BODY ISSUES/WEAR!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Launching!

i seen a gold camaro and i thought it was a pretty cool/rare color.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69

I hear ya! My car had 560 miles on it when I bought it from the original owner in 2013. 3,000+ miles later, some suspension mods, cat-back and little things here and there the car makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel!
I am almost 50, if I had kept the car all stock and never drove it it MIGHT appreciate to its original sticker price in 20 years, so what I want to have fun with her now!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Guilty as charged. 100% stock right down to the AC/Delco battery and babied since new. When I couldn't get Goodyears in the 16" size anymore I thought my life was over. Oh well, the BFG G-Force will have to do.
That's awesome, way to keep one clean and virgin.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

I have a 1999 Firebird Formula thats stock. It has a Durcacell AGM battery, and BF GoodWrench tires, but everything else is Delco down to the wiper blades and oil filter. I even replaced the blown door speaker with another Monsoon speaker . That makes it rare right . It also is loaded like a Trans AM, t-tops, Monsoon radio, leather, and even the 12 disk changer. It also has an auto which is a downer . BUT it only has 34,000 miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails rare f bodies?-firebird-interior.jpg   rare f bodies?-firebird-front.jpg   rare f bodies?-img_0809.jpg  

Last edited by McGinnis; 02-06-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Teching In

I have a couple:

2002 Camaro SS M6 Sunset Orange Metallic (1 of 263 with M6). 18K miles, unmodified. Replaced the tires last summer due to age.

2002 Camaro V6 (A4) Convertible Sunset Orange Metallic (1 of 154 total). 88k, daily driver since last summer.... pull out the ole' suburban when it snows though....

Last edited by ninety6; 02-09-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

How about a 99 hugger orange z28
Oh yea it's a stripper car too...
Old 02-12-2015, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackCowl
How about a 99 hugger orange z28
Oh yea it's a stripper car too...
I've got one of those too 6 speed 1 of 214

Old 02-13-2015, 06:51 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I found a white hardtop formula Firehawk on craigslist the other day. 1 of 3 I think the ad said. Car is in Tn....tempting to pick it up.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Two ways I find these cars might be rare:

1. Original and low miles - harder and harder to come by.

2. An SLP car that was highly optioned and not modified after the fact: Diff, CME, Cover, plaque, Bilstein, etc, etc - One that has everything done will be something in years to come.

My own personal Camaro, is a '98 SS M6 Hardtop. I don't have any SLP options, but from what I have researched, the hardtop is tough to find and somewhat rare. I know most people love their T-Tops, but this was such a rare find for me when looking. Plus I have no leaks, creaks, flexes, etc - Just roof
Old 02-17-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Something like a stripper SS car or a Formula Firehawk would also be a bit of an anomaly, since most SS cars were highly optioned and most LS1 Firehawks were Trans Ams.....then even more rare would be to put one of the aforementioned in a low production color.

Thats why i jumped on the chance to own a Formula Firehawk. Its a hardtop, 6spd and came with all the SLP options except the 1LE package. The SLP dual-dual exhaust and chrome firehawk wheels were what did it for me. Its at 80k miles, but its my third car and the mileage wont go up much, itll be "low mileage" one day haha. Dont really plan on selling this one though.

Quick Reply: rare f bodies?