General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

rare f bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98PurpleT/A
I have a 1998 Bright Purple Metalic T/A
I have the same thing only convertible.
Only 40 Bright Purple Metallics were made as a drop top.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

98 y3f bright red z28 38k miles probably not rare but thought I'd share
Old 02-18-2015, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I might have a couple. 2000 Camaro B4C from Austin, Tx., and a 1996 Z28/SS #71. Like money in the bank, or the garage.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

I still have mine!
I took delivery of it on 12/27/01. It took 3 months to build
It's in my garage sleeping right now.
I don't get too many opportunities to drive it, though
I think i have 26k miles on it

2002 Sunset Orange Mettalic Formula.

I've modded it. Nothing I couldn't put back to stock, though. I have all the original parts if I wanted too. But I never plan on selling it, so I never cared.

I always wanted a muscle car that I was the original owner of. So I made sure I took the right steps when I ordered mine. I saved all the emails from my dealership from Union Pacific when he tracked my delivery every day when it was inbound from Canada.

I like seeing these cars taken care of....
Old 02-18-2015, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by CGCBandit
I found a white hardtop formula Firehawk on craigslist the other day. 1 of 3 I think the ad said. Car is in Tn....tempting to pick it up.
This is one of the few cars mentioned in this thread that I would actually consider to be originally rare, meaning several major uncommon options combined to create a significantly unusual example.

Even the most originally common car can eventually become a rare sight if you keep it long enough, and in good enough condition. But that's a different type of "rare", as opposed to factory original rare.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

I've got a bone stock '02 blue/tan 6-speed Z28 with 4k on it. But just can't bring myself to run up the odometer on it.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:04 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstLSx
I've got a bone stock '02 blue/tan 6-speed Z28 with 4k on it. But just can't bring myself to run up the odometer on it.
Easily the saddest thing I've ever heard. That's like being married to a Playboy bunny and not having sex with her because you might mess up her hair...
Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by myk
Easily the saddest thing I've ever heard. That's like being married to a Playboy bunny and not having sex with her because you might mess up her hair...
I have a different perspective. I love seeing ultra low mileage garage queens that have been properly stored/maintained and used carefully. There isn't much exciting to me about high mileage daily drivers that have spent years roaming the streets in all sorts of weather conditions; they have paint and trim issues, worn interiors, dirty engine bays and rusty undercarriages - all common stuff that you can see every day at any major intersection or parking lot. But extraordinarily nice, 13+ year old original cars are generally a rare sight in my climate.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Is there a way I could find out my build number or how many similar cars were built in 1999?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 1998 Camaro Z28 convertible, white, black top, grey leather. What made it rare IMO was the 6 speed manual, most convertibles were automatics
Old 03-17-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstLSx
Sweet!! When I bought my cars (not the AMC) I didn't want to run up the miles either. It's a tough situation but my need to drive them always wins out. I keep the miles down overall but even 3,000 miles per year adds up. I can't believe I have 44,000 miles on my 14 year old T/A. I was upset when I hit 10,000 miles and now I don't even think about it. I took a trip to New England last summer and many trips to FL. It's still in exceptional 'show' condition but even the low miles takes it's toll.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

I do so I am told its a 1995 Formula purple with T-tops M6 with Traction control only 13 cars made. I will have Pictures Shortly after repaint. it only has 77,000 miles
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Launching!

No one's mentioned them yet so I'll bite.

2002 Trans Am NHRA S/E - 534 in '02 had the 1SH RPO code. 159 with an auto...and that where the option breakdown info stops. Would love to dig deeper into my car. Red, ebony, no TCS etc...

There is nothing really "special" about them, but rare non the less when you consider the # of CETAs in 2002.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Sweet!! When I bought my cars (not the AMC) I didn't want to run up the miles either. It's a tough situation but my need to drive them always wins out. I keep the miles down overall but even 3,000 miles per year adds up. I can't believe I have 44,000 miles on my 14 year old T/A. I was upset when I hit 10,000 miles and now I don't even think about it. I took a trip to New England last summer and many trips to FL. It's still in exceptional 'show' condition but even the low miles takes it's toll.
Same here, I got mine last june with 11,613 miles and I just turned 18,1xx on it already. These low mileage cars are rare, but I don't ever plan on selling it. I have always wanted one of these and it was hard to do it. But I decided that as nice as it felt knowing and being able to tell people it only had xx miles on it, I would rather enjoy if. Otherwise it is just a trophy on a shelf that I dust off and don't get to enjoy. However, I can also see the side where someone has a low mileage one and takes it to car shows all the time. That would probably bring a lot of enjoyment too, it's just not for me.....my inner kid took over lol.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
But I decided that as nice as it felt knowing and being able to tell people it only had xx miles on it, I would rather enjoy if. Otherwise it is just a trophy on a shelf that I dust off and don't get to enjoy. However, I can also see the side where someone has a low mileage one and takes it to car shows all the time. That would probably bring a lot of enjoyment too, it's just not for me.....my inner kid took over lol.
The part I bolded is exactly how I feel about mine. Since day one with this car, my plan was to use it for that exact purpose (car shows, limited pleasure cruising) and maintain it as a pristine example over the years. In the last 10+ years I've only put 6k miles on it, with the total now sitting at 17k for an average of 1k miles per year since 1998.

Having said that, I've also gotten a lot of enjoyment out of actually driving these cars too. That's how I ended up with two of them at the same time. Nothing was off limits for my '02 Z28, I daily drove it for many years and had a blast, while the '98 stayed a garage queen and gave me a very different, but equally fulfilling, type of enjoyment at local events and such.

I do miss having an F-body to drive regularly but not as much as I would miss the garage queen, so eventually I'll probably go back to having dual F-bodies to fulfill both purposes again.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The part I bolded is exactly how I feel about mine. Since day one with this car, my plan was to use it for that exact purpose (car shows, limited pleasure cruising) and maintain it as a pristine example over the years. In the last 10+ years I've only put 6k miles on it, with the total now sitting at 17k for an average of 1k miles per year since 1998.

Having said that, I've also gotten a lot of enjoyment out of actually driving these cars too. That's how I ended up with two of them at the same time. Nothing was off limits for my '02 Z28, I daily drove it for many years and had a blast, while the '98 stayed a garage queen and gave me a very different, but equally fulfilling, type of enjoyment at local events and such.

I do miss having an F-body to drive regularly but not as much as I would miss the garage queen, so eventually I'll probably go back to having dual F-bodies to fulfill both purposes again.
That would be my choice right now if I could, and hopefully in the future I can get a second one and keep the miles off this one for a weekend cruise or something. I just really like these cars and sure there are a lot nicer cars now days, but there isn't any other car except the new z06 that I see driving down the road and say man I wish I had that. Well unless it's old school muscle cars, but that's a different story. But for now I am happy with driving this one for as long as it takes.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

I think any Firebird or Camaro that is all original and still running is becoming a rare find. 99% of the ones I see locally have over 100,xxx miles and a list of half-a** mods under the hood, and an interior that is falling apart.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:21 PM
Teching In

how rare are hardtop coupes (02 Camaro)?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by McGinnis
I think any Firebird or Camaro that is all original and still running is becoming a rare find. 99% of the ones I see locally have over 100,xxx miles and a list of half-a** mods under the hood, and an interior that is falling apart.
I agree I looked at so many that were miss treated than I Stumbled across mine. To my surprise it was very clean and near perfect interior all it needed was floor mats, as for the motor it didn't run due to sitting for 10yrs. after 8 hrs of tinkering on it, it runs very strong. I am now sticking a better cam in it to bring it to life.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I think mine is pretty rare

'97 Formula WS6, 1 of 473 built that year, 22,000 miles currently. It is optioned strangely IMO. The car is a stripper ie cassette player, crank windows, manual locks, etc. (I have factory block off plates where most would have the buttons for the door locks and window up/down switches) yet it came with t-tops. You would think it would be a hard-top car.

My best friend also owns a '97 Formula WS6 which is the exact opposite. Options to the max but it is a hard top car. He has a stationary antenna which I've never had or seen before on an Pontiac F-Body. Mine has a power antenna, not sure why the difference.

Quick Reply: rare f bodies?