General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

rare f bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99 hugger orange SS doesn't have 13k miles yet
Old 03-18-2015, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

While I agree that certain color combos are "rare", they don't really interest me as the powertrains remain the same as any other V8 F-body.

Rare to me these days, means a GMMG car, or something similar (LT4 cars, etc). I just couldn't justify the cost of a color option over another just because fewer examples exist. Probably the only color I consider rare is the 99 only Huggers, since it's a desirable, classic color.

Something like a guy a talked to years ago and his old Dodge Dart that was Pink (no idea the actual color name). He was bragging how only 9 were made in that color - I said, that's because only 9 people were dumb enough to buy a Pink Dart!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Something like a guy a talked to years ago and his old Dodge Dart that was Pink (no idea the actual color name).
Panther Pink perhaps? That was a Mopar color from the era, though I've never seen it on a Dart (only Challenger/Cuda), but I guess if there were only 9 that would be the explanation.

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
He was bragging how only 9 were made in that color - I said, that's because only 9 people were dumb enough to buy a Pink Dart!
This is a good point, not everything that is rare is desirable. I've said it before and I'll say it again; options are only rare because:

1) Most people didn't know how to order it, and/or didn't even know it could be ordered/it wasn't well advertised.

2) It was extremely expensive relative to the vehicle base price.

3) Was simply unpopular/not well received by the public.

If the reason an option is rare is due to #1 or #2 above, then it's very possible that this "rare" option could be highly sought after and/or quite valuable. If the reason is #3, then unless public opinion has changed in the interim, the "rare" option in question will only be worth more if you happen across that one unique buyer who just absolutely must have it. Otherwise, to the average buyer it will either be a neutral point or might even cause the car to be worth less.

I think it's interesting to see originally rare options/cars, but personally I have no burning desire to own one simply because it's rare. My personal shopping preference has never been significantly affected by rarity one way or the other.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-18-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Where you guys looking up your production numbers?

Quick Reply: rare f bodies?