General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need honest opinions on the 2010-2014 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
They need to restyle the grill and tail of these cars, I personally have never seen a car this ugly. It looks like someone took a truck frt end, morphed into a car then when it came to the tail end they found a old golf cart and used that. The car has no style except FUGLY in that respect its on the money.

Face it you morph one of these new Camaro into a pick up truck and its perfect. Not what I consider a performance car. It should be called TRamaro or Fugmaro or a WTHami.

I am handsome......my mother told me so!
And 4th gen Camaros look like Chrysler Sebrings. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by FMX05
And 4th gen Camaros look like Chrysler Sebrings. Different strokes for different folks.
Or maybe Chrysler Sebrings look like 4th gen Camaros.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
They need to restyle the grill and tail of these cars, I personally have never seen a car this ugly. It looks like someone took a truck frt end, morphed into a car then when it came to the tail end they found a old golf cart and used that. The car has no style except FUGLY in that respect its on the money.

Face it you morph one of these new Camaro into a pick up truck and its perfect. Not what I consider a performance car. It should be called TRamaro or Fugmaro or a WTHami.

I am handsome......my mother told me so!
Over 500,000 buyers would disagree with you

Besides it took 10yrs to sell that many 4th Gen Camaro's
Old 02-03-2015, 07:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by transamtom
Over 500,000 buyers would disagree with you

Besides it took 10yrs to sell that many 4th Gen Camaro's
It doesn't really matter how many have been sold in either case, styling is still a matter of personal preference and there are plenty of people who aren't fans of the 5th gen OR the 4th gen. FWIW, there were significantly more 3rd gens produced in the first five model years of that generation than there have been 5th gens, but I wouldn't use that as an argument to claim that 3rd gens were better looking. Personally, I've never been one to allow popular opinion nor production totals to sway my preferences either way.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

When a guy puts a sweet set of wheels and a vfn sunoco hood on a 4th gen car it surpasses the looks of a 5th gen to me by a long shot. Just look Gmhtp sti killer car. If you have seen that car in person like I have you'll I feel you strongly agree with me.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
When a guy puts a sweet set of wheels and a vfn sunoco hood on a 4th gen car it surpasses the looks of a 5th gen to me by a long shot. Just look Gmhtp sti killer car. If you have seen that car in person like I have you'll I feel you strongly agree with me.
thats why i will own both someday.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the gen5. Mostly. Some look kinda plain and I see em all over these days, but I remember the first one I saw and it was amazing. Nowadays, one that been customed' I.e., front chin splitter, nice wheels, tint, maybe cowl hood, looks awesome. So all in all the platform is great. Some pics of the newest gen floating around leave me wanting more (or less) and feel that it cud have been more "retro" nodding to the 1st gen, but is what it is. I like em.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It doesn't really matter how many have been sold in either case, styling is still a matter of personal preference and there are plenty of people who aren't fans of the 5th gen OR the 4th gen. FWIW, there were significantly more 3rd gens produced in the first five model years of that generation than there have been 5th gens, but I wouldn't use that as an argument to claim that 3rd gens were better looking. Personally, I've never been one to allow popular opinion nor production totals to sway my preferences either way.
Your right styling is subjective.

I owned a second Gen and loved it,but got bit by the 3rd Gen and owned 2,then got bit by the 4th Gen and owned 5.

I think sometimes the 5th gets slammed for its weight unfairly mine is 3850 with a full tank and its pretty light on its feet kind of like a linebacker in football.

GM asked how we wanted it and we said just like the showcar from 2006 so thats what we got.

This car got them headed in the right direction.

I can't wait for the 6th Gen,lighter and faster
Old 02-04-2015, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

GM asked how we wanted it and we said just like the showcar from 2006 so thats what we got.
GM did not ask me, and I did not get what I wanted.

I should have been a target customer as I've owned about 17 GM products, majority being Chevrolet, and several being Camaros. I was ready to be a cash buyer for a 2010 model, but wasn't impressed with the L99 (autos only for me), several of the standard gadgets/features, and some aspects of the styling.

As time has passed I've begun to see a situation where I might be willing to consider a used one ('10-'13 only) as prices continue to come down, but I wasn't anywhere near impressed enough to drop the cash for one brand new. On the other hand, I bought two 4th gens brand new, because those cars were spot-on for my personal desires and preferences - and therefore worth it.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to love the 5th gens, top favorite, up until I got myself a firebird...then a vette..and now a 02 ws6 and I wouldnt trade it for any high dollar valued amount 5th gen. They are still eye catching to me when I see one, but I still feel 'bigger', 'cooler' or whatever.. with my f-body.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
GM did not ask me, and I did not get what I wanted.

I should have been a target customer as I've owned about 17 GM products, majority being Chevrolet, and several being Camaros. I was ready to be a cash buyer for a 2010 model, but wasn't impressed with the L99 (autos only for me), several of the standard gadgets/features, and some aspects of the styling.

As time has passed I've begun to see a situation where I might be willing to consider a used one ('10-'13 only) as prices continue to come down, but I wasn't anywhere near impressed enough to drop the cash for one brand new. On the other hand, I bought two 4th gens brand new, because those cars were spot-on for my personal desires and preferences - and therefore worth it.
They invited the top Camaro and Firebird guys and gals from F Body clubs,message boards,ect.

They asked them and as our club presidents,ect they liked what they saw and when asked said yes build it.

So what if it isn't perfect? they got it mostly right.

We wanted big brakes,big engine,stiff structure,easy to work on,check,check check and check.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

All I know is when we pull up ANY WHERE people drool over our WS6.............
Old 02-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I've daily driven a 4th gen Formula for 14 out of the past 17 years and have had a second one on hand for 7 of those years, so obviously I like f-bodies well-enough. But I've always struggled with the cabin noise, impact harshness, and general roughness of these cars. These factors lend a certain appeal to the 5th gen, as by all accounts, they're much improved in such areas.

But when I consider that, I have to say, "why not a G8?" Same chassis, excellent instead of poor visibility, big vs. little trunk, big vs. little rear seating and legroom, and arguably, styling that's as good or better with only a 100lb. weight penalty.

I'm really not a 4 door guy, but I have a hard time getting the 5th gen to make sense for me.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

They invited the top Camaro and Firebird guys and gals from F Body clubs,message boards,ect.

They asked them and as our club presidents,ect they liked what they saw and when asked said yes build it.
Those people did not represent my interests. Perhaps in addition, GM should have contacted repeat registered first owners of 4th gens, in which case I would have gladly offered my input.

So what if it isn't perfect? they got it mostly right.
I'm glad you feel that way, but I wouldn't agree. At the heart of the issue for me is the disappointing L99. This engine only makes about 50hp more than an LS1 from 2002, and it's in a heavier car so the net acceleration improvement is rather small. A lighter car with an LS3 (for us auto guys) would have been greatly appreciated. Some styling aspects and standard content were also ill conceived, IMO.

We wanted big brakes,big engine,stiff structure,easy to work on,check,check check and check.
I'd like less gadgets, less weight, less complexity, less luxury; and priorities placed on performance, durability, simplicity and bang for the buck - typical muscle car priorities. Like mentioned above, if I wanted luxury with decent performance I'd look more into a G8 or something similar.

5th gen Camaro missed the target for me as a new car shopper, but again I'd consider a used one when they're a better bargain later on.

I know I don't speak for the majority, but I'm a repeat new GM car buyer with a history of F-body loyalty so I feel I have the right to complain.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind I'm talking about V6's here but a guy at work with a '11 Mustang got backed into and the dealership gave him a '14 Camaro as a loaner car, it was probably a pretty smart move on there part because now he doesn't want his Mustang back and is talking about trading it in for the Camaro.

Quick Reply: Need honest opinions on the 2010-2014 Camaro SS