General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What do you consider a decent turnaround time on heads?

Old 03-03-2015, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you consider a decent turnaround time on heads?

What do you guys in the LS world consider a decent turnaround time on heads? My friend always did my headwork on my previous cars(hondas), so I think it'd be unfair to compare. I do know what I was told previous to sending my heads out, which is one reason I went with them over some aftermarket heads.

I'm just starting to get frustrated because I had planned on having this car together a couple of weeks ago, and am running out of time before I'm supposed to take it somewhere.

I'm not posting any names because I don't want to bash anyone. I'm just genuinely interested what is normal around here. I don't want to think I'm coming off as unreasonable.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

I don't know who's doing them or where your getting your heads done but heres my thoughts. A had a set of big block chevy heads that needed freshing up. I took them to a local shop around noon one day. He tore them down. Hot tanked them, magnafluxed them, cut them for bigger valves, cut down the valve guide boss for my high lift cam, installed pc type seals, new guides, checked my spring pressures and installed heights, painted and assembled everything. He called about 4:30 the same day and said they were done. I was like holy ****, already? Now that's fast turn around. I was happy.

Last edited by Bdiddy; 03-19-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I guess the turnaround time wouldn't matter if I was already expecting it. I think my issue is a was told a week from the time that they received the heads, and in a few days, it will be a month they've had them.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Turnaround time can vary on a number of things. But if you were originally told a week, then the turnaround time should be a week. If they're going on a month in a dew days, then their turnaround time is extremely poor and there isn't any acceptable excuse for 4 times longer than originally expected.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Bigger shops like TEA, AI, WCCH etc. all told me around 3-4 weeks which seems to be right around where you are now.

Although I would be pissed if they said a week that turned into 4. I don't mind waiting the time that it takes for the proper work to be done, but tell me from the beginning which seems these guys didn't do.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Sucks when a shop quotes a fast turnaround just to get your parts/car hostage so they can have the job and get to it whenever they get to it.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

All depends on the detail of the work and how busy the shop/vendor is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you consider a decent turnaround time on heads?