General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Did I make a mistake? (V6, sorry.)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I make a mistake? (V6, sorry.)

Please excuse me for posting about V6 here, I thought you'd be the best crowd to ask about firebirds.

I looked at an 01 bird today, v6 m5.
I turned it down, because:

I saw fluid on the power steering hose, and on the engine. I'm unsure what kind of fluid, power or oil? (There's fluid under the mud)

There is significant vibration in the clutch pedal, and stick - when parked. (I was told it's probably u-joint or bearing, and in the latter case could cost up to $300 to replace.)

When I opened the oil fill cap, steam came out. (Is there normally enough water evap to see steam? Is this coolant? The engine was hot.)

Did I make a mistake? (V6, sorry.)-ewpessn.jpg
Did I make a mistake, are these non-issues?
Thanks.

Last edited by icor1031; 04-15-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Leaks are hard to tell without cleaning and looking over carefully. Also if the car has been sitting for any length of time the oil cap will have some steam coming out as the oil warms up. If a head gasket was blown either the oil would look like a milkshake or the engine would run like crap. Vibration in clutch could be bad throw out bearing, warped flywheel, or a worn out clutch that is falling apart. These all can be significant issues, but for the right price could still be a good buy.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by McGinnis
Vibration in clutch could be bad throw out bearing, warped flywheel, or a worn out clutch that is falling apart.
Would any of those also cause stick vibration, while parked?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

If it only does it when parked it can't new the driveshaft or rear end. A bad throw out bearing will make a noise or grind when pushing the clutch. A bad pilot bearing will make noise all the time except when putting pressure on the clutch pedal. If the clutch is fully releasing in neutral it shouldn't be vibrating much at all, are you sure the engine wasn't missing or something making it feel like the shifter or transmission, cause I've driven old trucks where the shifter rattles all over cause the engine is so rough.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by McGinnis
If it only does it when parked it can't new the driveshaft or rear end. A bad throw out bearing will make a noise or grind when pushing the clutch. A bad pilot bearing will make noise all the time except when putting pressure on the clutch pedal. If the clutch is fully releasing in neutral it shouldn't be vibrating much at all, are you sure the engine wasn't missing or something making it feel like the shifter or transmission, cause I've driven old trucks where the shifter rattles all over cause the engine is so rough.

I did not notice any grinding/noise when pressing the clutch, or noise going away.

No idea if the engine caused it. It didn't seem harsh when I listened from the engine bay.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Is this varnish / does it mean it has been overheating?

Old 04-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

No that's evaporative sludge from the crankcase. It doesn't mean there's a problem with the motor, but may indicate a lot of short trips in a cold climate where it doesn't burn off.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd stay far away from any 99 up v6 fbody, they are hornet's nests full of problems. GM must have fell on its head before they built them, some of the poorest engineering I've ever seen. NO STEAM is not something you want to see coming out of the oil cap. Don't say you weren't warned, BUY ANYTHING ELSE ANYTHING PLEASE
Old 04-18-2015, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I'd stay far away from any 99 up v6 fbody, they are hornet's nests full of problems. GM must have fell on its head before they built them, some of the poorest engineering I've ever seen. NO STEAM is not something you want to see coming out of the oil cap. Don't say you weren't warned, BUY ANYTHING ELSE ANYTHING PLEASE

my son has a 99 v6 firebird that he bought when he was 15 and for the last 4 years has had no problems! the car looks and runs great, so your statement is untrue! car is second on the left in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Did I make a mistake? (V6, sorry.)-001.jpg  
Old 04-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Had it checked by a mechanic, pretty good condition - got it.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Old 04-20-2015, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With how cheap V8 cars are(LT1 especially), I just don't understand V6 platform purchases(unless its a clean shell purchase for a swap).

The only reason to own one of these cars is the powertrain, you sacrifice that, you are stuck with an impractical uncomfortable coupe. I don't get it. So many actually good cars out there for (likely) what you paid.

- Drew
Old 04-20-2015, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by icor1031
Had it checked by a mechanic, pretty good condition - got it.
Your mechanic now has another car they can service.

But based on what you said initially, I'd have looked for a car not showing any of those concerns. It's not like you can't find them. I don't get the V6 M5 either when V8 M6 is much more in demand and easier to sell.

I didn't see a price listed anywhere.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by typedRew
With how cheap V8 cars are(LT1 especially), I just don't understand V6 platform purchases(unless its a clean shell purchase for a swap).

The only reason to own one of these cars is the powertrain, you sacrifice that, you are stuck with an impractical uncomfortable coupe. I don't get it. So many actually good cars out there for (likely) what you paid.

- Drew
Because the 6ers are even cheaper. And they can run on unleaded 87. And they're cheaper to insure. And they are cheaper to maintain (to be fair, not that much cheaper to maintain).

The 6's are good cars especially for young drivers. Some people, myself included, just like f-bodies. I bought mine because I like 4th gen f-bodies, the LS1 and T56 were just a bonus.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Because the 6ers are even cheaper. And they can run on unleaded 87. And they're cheaper to insure. And they are cheaper to maintain (to be fair, not that much cheaper to maintain).

The 6's are good cars especially for young drivers. Some people, myself included, just like f-bodies. I bought mine because I like 4th gen f-bodies, the LS1 and T56 were just a bonus.
Don't get me wrong. If someone put a very clean, lower mileage V6 Camaro or Firebird in front of me that was priced right, I'd jump on it. But most of the prices you see for very clean ones are no more than $1K to $2K cheaper than a comparable V8. So many of these were/are daily drivers that few are left in nice condition.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by typedRew

- Drew
LT1 firebirds are ugly.

I got this car for its sexy body, cheap engine/trans, manual trans, etc.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Don't get me wrong. If someone put a very clean, lower mileage V6 Camaro or Firebird in front of me that was priced right, I'd jump on it. But most of the prices you see for very clean ones are no more than $1K to $2K cheaper than a comparable V8. So many of these were/are daily drivers that few are left in nice condition.
The 8s I've seen are $8-12k.

This was $4,100.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Your mechanic now has another car they can service.

But based on what you said initially, I'd have looked for a car not showing any of those concerns. It's not like you can't find them. I don't get the V6 M5 either when V8 M6 is much more in demand and easier to sell.

I didn't see a price listed anywhere.

Fluid was power steering, needs a $20 return line.
Vibration was normal (I'm not used to manual trans).
Old 04-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Enjoy it! Between my two sons we've had 3 3.8 Firebirds - all Y87 cars. My one son's car has had typical f-body issues, same stuff you'd see on V8's. My other son's 97 lasted till 210k until some guy at an oil change place left the radiator cap loose and it overheated. His current 99 had the big issue - blown head gasket on a 60k car. It seems that the original owner may have never changed the Dexcool in 14 years.

He's a process server in San Diego and drives beaucoup miles ... the V6 bird functions like an economy car with style for him.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icor1031
LT1 firebirds are ugly.

I got this car for its sexy body, cheap engine/trans, manual trans, etc.
As much as I like LS1's, the LT1 Firebirds are the better looking car. By a country mile.

Enjoy your car.

- Drew

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake? (V6, sorry.)