General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

cost of screwing in a bolt!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cost of screwing in a bolt!

ok so im in college over here in kingsville tx . and being here in college with no tools or anything suck because i do all of my work my self so i had to take my car to a goodyear to go get a bolt i bought put in because the top bolt of my TA bracket somehow fell out. it was about 30 mins til closing time. so i asked them if it was ok if they screwed it in for me, they said ok. i know puting a TA in the bracket is a pain in the *** so i helped the guy... so iwhen we where done i went up to the counter ..i was expecting a pretty cheap price, then he says $36.99... i laughed and was like after complaining with the guy i for 10 dollars off ... still outragous!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so im in college over here in kingsville tx . and being here in college with no tools or anything suck because i do all of my work my self so i had to take my car to a goodyear to go get a bolt i bought put in because the top bolt of my TA bracket somehow fell out. it was about 30 mins til closing time. so i asked them if it was ok if they screwed it in for me, they said ok. i know puting a TA in the bracket is a pain in the *** so i helped the guy... so iwhen we where done i went up to the counter ..i was expecting a pretty cheap price, then he says $36.99... i laughed and was like after complaining with the guy i for 10 dollars off ... still outragous!!!
what bolt fell out? harbor freight has a cheap *** socket set for like 8 bucks. I dont know that there is any reason for not having tools in your car.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

I'm with 71. :p
Old 10-18-2011, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

i also need a jack and jackstands to get under .. but i will get some
Old 10-18-2011, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

everyone should know by now that goodyear service centers are just a bunch of organized crooks just like the majority of these big chain places,they get busted in stings about every 10 years or so,always overcharging,never performing all the work thats on the bill,somehow its all over the news for awhile and just fades away and i guess people go back to getting suckered...i went in to expert tire a few weeks ago to get a spare mounted,i had a perfectly good used tire,almost new in fact,i asked how much to mount it and was told that they only would mount a new tire??manager says liability issues?? so i basically told him he and his company was full of **** and i would never walk thru those doors again,they obviously only want to make a big profit selling new parts,was i to believe that the half dozen used tire places around my neighborhood were operating a risky business by selling failure prone parts that could go at any second?...uhhh no didnt fall for that b.s.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had the same tool set for 8+years..been in every vehicle everywhere I go..it's been through hell..
Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Half an hour of shop time and I'm assuming a lift. I woulda charged you the same thing if I was a business.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Half an hour of shop time and I'm assuming a lift. I woulda charged you the same thing if I was a business.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

I'm wondering how your bolt "just fell out" to begin with...
Old 10-19-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

these places have minimum charges...

i had a power steering line loosen up while driving. i noticed the failure of the power steering and the smoke right away, so i pulled directly into a goodyear a block down the road.

they charged me $50+ to tighten the nut on the line and "service" (top off) it.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Every time I've ever had to take my car in I would ALWAYS ask for a price upfront. Although they can't say 100% for sure they can generally give you a good estimate to go by.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
x2

Labor in my area is $90/hr, so that would be my guess too. Seems fair to me. People like to get upset about how much the car industry charges for parts/labor, but look at any industry. Whether its electronics, plumbing, contractors, etc etc. Thats just how it goes.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

although I agree that is an outrageous price, you got off light. most of those shops charge a minimum of $100/phr. minimum of 1 hour. I know any of the ones around me in DFW charge that. I went to Firestone a while back to torque my lugs after putting in all new studs,lugnuts and rims... they were going to charge me $20 to use their torque wrench... lol. I went to discount tire and they did it for free. They even did it a second time after I put 20 miles on it...
Old 10-19-2011, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
although I agree that is an outrageous price, you got off light. most of those shops charge a minimum of $100/phr. minimum of 1 hour. I know any of the ones around me in DFW charge that. I went to Firestone a while back to torque my lugs after putting in all new studs,lugnuts and rims... they were going to charge me $20 to use their torque wrench... lol. I went to discount tire and they did it for free. They even did it a second time after I put 20 miles on it...
Now that is outrageous. If you pulled into my work I would torque them for free too. It only takes 3 minutes. I do agree some of the stuff these quick lube places pull is ridiculous. The big chain stores arent much better, neither are dealerships, and small mom and pop shops have their downfalls too.

If you dont or cant work on your own car your best bet is to become friends with someone who works at one of those places, or owns a place of their own. Thats when youll get the best service possible.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Own an Fbody long enough, one of two things will happen. You will either learn to work on your own ****, or....You will go broke paying someone else to.....
Old 10-20-2011, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

^^That's any car/truck/etc..
Originally Posted by Stippy17
If you dont or cant work on your own car your best bet is to become friends with someone who works at one of those places, or owns a place of their own. Thats when youll get the best service possible.
Well said..you also need to know someone that can do the stuff at their house and has all the tools..I help my friends out for the cost of some beer and food..
Old 10-20-2011, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv

Well said..you also need to know someone that can do the stuff at their house and has all the tools..I help my friends out for the cost of some beer and food..
Thats exactly how I work lol. Almost every one of my friend's vehicles have been in my garage at some point so I could fix/mod them. Feed me or throw me a couple bucks, and Ill work on your car for hours lmao.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stippy17
Thats exactly how I work lol. Almost every one of my friend's vehicles have been in my garage at some point so I could fix/mod them. Feed me or throw me a couple bucks, and Ill work on your car for hours lmao.
There's a picture of me floating around on Facebook, passed out drunk under my buddy's Civic, covered in grease with a chicken leg in my hand.

I know the feeling.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

Lmao..
Old 10-20-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Ive owned so many Fbodys, over the past 5 years, ive bought every air tool you can imagine, multiple jack stands, 2 jacks, more extensions than I can count (they work great for pulling the trans) and numerous other bullshit tools.... Ive done so many t56 pull outs ,opti swaps and Heaterhose mods I have lost count. I used to have nightmares about this evil little Optispark who would hunt me down in my dream and kill me... then I went to Hell and guess what.... there were a million little optisparks waiting for me.... GOD, I LOVE MY LS1...