General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

having an issue where to start with my situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having an issue where to start with my situation

Hi everyone I was hoping to get alot of input on this, I'm really wanting something with a LS engine and I wanna build it a little but I jus don't know where would be a good place to start I have been arguing with myself either 4th Gen camaro or ls3 corvette or a zo6 corvette but I don't know what would be financially the best place to start. I only plan on swapping out certain parts to make it run better, heads maybe stroker, some suspension but no extreme weight reduction. I don't make a Lotta money I'm jus starting out as a mig welder, and I have one year of experience now and I'm going to be quitting my current job now to move up to pennsylvania around family. I will have to find a new job up there maybe even a new trade or profession. So I'm about to be 25 and I know I'm getting old and impatient at the same time and wish I had that badass car all ready. If anyone can jus put there input in to my situation and let me know what you did and what you would have changed.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

There is an exponential price difference between a 4th gen Camaro and an LS3 Corvette (unless you're talking about a super high mileage, extremely worn/beat and/or salvage title LS3 C6), so this would suggest that your budget is pretty big and would allow for a very serious build on a really nice Camaro - as this would be similar in cost to buying a nice, stock LS3 Corvette. With a budget like that, there really is no "better" option, it's just a matter of which direction you want to go and which car you personally like better.

If your budget was tight, and you wanted to go fast for cheap, then the 4th gen would be the far better choice.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Yea that's what I thought, I would rather spend money on a car when I want to not when I have to every month. I guess it's jus a lazy and impatient feeling I get when I see corvette, lol
Old 05-31-2015, 04:15 PM
Teching In

What setup do you think would work best to get into the 10s with my 98 camaro
Old 05-31-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thgencaddy
What setup do you think would work best to get into the 10s with my 98 camaro
Wait...I'm confused, you DO have a 98 Camaro now?? If so, cam and spray is cheapest way to the 10's.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Yea I have a 98 camaro now but the issue is before I start putting money into it now I was I'm second thinking whether I should(option A) keep and build it or (option B) jus go for a corvette and pay on it for years then get to build on it. I mean when I think about it the first option sounds better. But I know the corvette for the money has so much advances all ready stock. If I am gonna build my camaro I would like it to be naturally aspirated or take advantage of the 5.3 iron block I all ready have in it and procharge it with some tfs 205 heads on it or the stock 806 heads I have on it now with a port and polish
Old 05-31-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

25 is not "old." And it sounds like your employment and financial status is up on the air for potentially months. Maybe you should just keep your eyes and ears open for the time being in case you run into a car that's ideally suited for you. Considering that mods are next to free, I'd look for a fairly fresh car as close to your modded specs as possible. With money being tight why dump $5K to $10K into mods and only get 20% return?

Pennsylvania seems to have a fairly good supply of 4th Gen F bodies as well as Vettes. And with PA being pretty well spread out, there are some good deals in that region. I didn't get my own first performance car until I was 38. Though if you count my Grandmother's 1964 Buick Wildcat, I had a few years in my teens playing with the one.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had LS1's Trans Am's and an LS3 vette 6 speed, now my current car is a C5 Auto with a procharger on it. I am taking the stand where, just because GM comes out with a new corvette to always get what is new. I believe they sucker people to believe to always buy for better technology. Well, I think the older cars can perform just as Good as the newer. I proved that to myself by buying a 13yr old car putting some money in it and now it runs like a champ.

You dont need a new C7 or newer car to enjoy performance, Unless you just want to burn money, then have at it.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:41 PM

Are you open to other cars? I'm probably partial (because I own one lol) but have you thought about GTO's? And I know this is an LS forum and apparently everyone hates Mustangs, but maybe look into 03-04 Cobras? You can find them for around $20-25K, and with just a few basic mods you can make those cars pretty quick. Besides that, I'd say maybe look at whether or not you need or are gonna need backseats any time soon. If so, the Vette is kinda out of the picture. But I'd personally wait until your job is finalized and you have a steady income so you see what you can afford.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you seem to want a vette. if you can afford one go for it.

theyre fun and great looking cars.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

All depends on what you can afford, there's a big difference in the price of Fbodies and Vettes. Bang for the buck imo its hard to beat a C5 Z06.

Quick Reply: having an issue where to start with my situation