General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Someone tore my soft top

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone tore my soft top

Hey guys so today someone tore a huge whole in my new soft top and stole my pioneer DVD player, shift **** and cut up my SS dash. I'm going to have the top repaired and then hunt down a new SS dash. I was wondering what steps or security measures I can take so this won't happen again? Been saving up for a while for this car, haven't even had it for more than a month and then this happens. I'm not sure if I should fix it or sell it now. If I keep it I'm thinking it'll happen again.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds crazy, but i have heard may people with convertibles and jeep wranglers leave the doors open so the tops don't get damaged during a robbery.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Ya I actually read that on the Jeep forums, but I also read lately that even if the doors are unlocked they still rather cut the top to make sure there's no hidden alarm.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSV8
Hey guys so today someone tore a huge whole in my new soft top and stole my pioneer DVD player, shift **** and cut up my SS dash. I'm going to have the top repaired and then hunt down a new SS dash. I was wondering what steps or security measures I can take so this won't happen again? Been saving up for a while for this car, haven't even had it for more than a month and then this happens. I'm not sure if I should fix it or sell it now. If I keep it I'm thinking it'll happen again.

this is what you need

never get broke into again or if it does you will know so you can go outside and shoot them
Old 06-11-2015, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Madngineer
It sounds crazy, but i have heard may people with convertibles and jeep wranglers leave the doors open so the tops don't get damaged during a robbery.
Yep, I never lock my doors. Op, get a removable face radio.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

with that viper alarm they cant even get with so many feet of your car or it sets it off...

that way the dont reach the top or doors

also it pages the key fob and tells you someone is near your car..

no way in hell im letting people **** up my **** i bought.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Save your money, they never work right and no one looks if it is sreaming.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
Save your money, they never work right and no one looks if it is sreaming.
so always leave your car unlocked for whoever wants to try?

my car alarms has stopped 4 attempts that i know of and i have a crappy version of that badass viper alarm( it came with my car or id get that motion-sensor one)
Old 06-11-2015, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, they will cut your top & get in anyway b/c it's a convertible. Take your radio face with you.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
Yep, they will cut your top & get in anyway b/c it's a convertible. Take your radio face with you.
also they can get in and just hotwire your car and take the whole damn thing(there is a fuse you can pull to prevent anyone from stealing it like that though)... doors wont be unlocked,, so stupid i work in the security field though.. people,, not cars haha

i have owned one vert in a very bad area of town

top got cut once and i got a similar alarm

it would go off and id go out with a gun

needless to say it never got broken into again other then that first time..

just saying why not try to spend once rather then spend over and over when they get something else or **** up your top for fun even though its unlocked...

no freebies or handouts from me.. haha
Old 06-11-2015, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

I'm guessing an alarm like that would cost a little over a grand right?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

I'm guessing an alarm like that would cost a little over a grand right?
they are 250-450$ new

believe this is one in video
252 shipped
Amazon.com: Viper 3303V 2-Way Responder LC Security System Car Alarm: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Viper 3303V 2-Way Responder LC Security System Car Alarm: Car Electronics

they have many others with even better features
Old 06-11-2015, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

now you can also get extra coverage with your car insurance company or you can get a policy with square trade to cover electronics and other things
Old 06-11-2015, 11:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Sorry to hear this.

Just an FYI, there is no specific "SS" dash, it's exactly the same dash for every 4th gen Camaro of a given model year. The gauge cluster would be different for V8 vs. V6, but otherwise they are all the same. No need to look for anything SS specific.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:24 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm planning on not even raising the damn top anymore. It's old, needs replacing at about $2K, just so some POS can cut it up trying to steal my factory AC Delco cassette player. I will leave the top down with a cabin cover. If they want to steal my expired condoms or loser lottery tickets then they can politely rip off the cabin cover and have at it...
Old 06-12-2015, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

SSV8, you didn't mention where you live (unless I missed it). That would be an important factor for owning a 'vert. If you live in a major city I might think twice about 'fixing it and keeping it'. Geography isn't a fail safe system for vandalism or theft but it can influence an important decision. I've owned convertibles off and on for 40+ years and never had a top cut (yeah, I just jinxed myself). I have lived in both FL and NC but NOT in major cities, even though I have parked/visited in cities like Miami, Tampa in FL, and Raleigh, Charlotte here in NC. I always lock the doors too. If I lived in those cities and had to keep my 'vert parked outside at night, I guaranty you I would have been a crime victim. It all depends, and even then, who knows??
Sorry this happened to you and best of luck with your future decision.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stock cassette deck in my SS, but have the 12 Disc cd player in the trunk. I feel really safe with having the stock cassette player in mine.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

How hard is that alarm to install? I'll look into the insurance and square trade policy as well. I just don't want to keep paying deductibles. I live in Modesto California. I actually live in a really good neighborhood. I've been here for 15 years and no one has bothered me until now.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I live in Modesto California. I actually live in a really good neighborhood. I've been here for 15 years and no one has bothered me until now.
If you are comfortable there I would 'fix it and keep it'.
Do you have access to a garage until the scumbags are caught? If they are feeding a drug habit they could come right back and hit you again. It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've owned 2 verts, both had steering wheels with quick releases. My favorite was my S2K, I threw the wheel and my radio faceplate in the trunk, then locked the center console (which housed the trunk button) and left the car unlocked. No wheel makes it harder to take the car and nothing visible of any value will deter most thieves.

Quick Reply: Someone tore my soft top