General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Shop cost for cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
No problem man

I had to drive about 50 min to the place I got mine done, but I wouldn't think that even if your area was a little higher that it would be more than $400-$450. The only problem I see is that if you don't have any performance shops around you, I would be concerned a little about a custom grind cam. I know that places like texas speed and a few others do the mail order tunes and know they would probably be decent for an off the shelf cam. Those guys have tuned so many cars and setups that they can tune it pretty close without seeing the car. But I would probably find a tuner that could tune it if you decide to go with a custom cam.

Unfortunately, my tuner just took a job in Texas and I really don't care for the tuners in my area. So while I'm doing my turbo build I'm sending my pcm to get a mail order tune so I can drive my car about 4.5 hours away to Kansas for him to tune it. I'm a firm believer in trusting and having a good tuner. Because you can have the best build in the world and a crap tune will ruin the whole build, or possibly hurt the motor.........hence why I'm driving so far to get it tuned lol.

Also, you may want to see if there are any members on this site that live close to you. For the most part there are a good group of guys on here and I've seen many times where another member has driven 45 min to help someone on a build. Just a thought, good luck man.
Eventhough I haven't had my car tuned yet, I'm the same way just because of what I've read. I love these cars for their efficiency as well as the power and I know the tuner is the major portion of that. The last thing in the world I want is just a WOT tune when if properly done, I might be able to get 26mpg or more out of a great tune with a more conservative cam.

There actually is one 'speed' shop 20 miles or so from me that is little known- Hawks Third Gen, which has a dyno tuner and offers a lot of other services. I may have to pay them a visit.

Quick Reply: Shop cost for cam swap?