General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Rear End Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Rebuild

i have a stock rear in my 02 trans am a4 89k miles, and recently after playing around with it a little on the street, it seems my universal is shot (shifting p/r/d slams into gear now) the rear end started whining, and now basically screams over 40. i got a little tail happy, tagged the red line, and what damn near sounded like a gun shot like bang came from behind. i assume wheel hop and just shook the **** out of the rear, or something to that extent. i see no sign of leaking or damage, so i feel its internal. while giving the car around half throttle or more there feels like a disconnect kind of like the rear slipping.

not really 100% sure whats up, but i feel like im going to need to rebuild the rear. i have no intention of turning it into a drag car or racer or anything crazy, so my 10 bolt should be fine for my street use or so i read. with that said, what would my options be? can i buy a rebuild kit for it and have it put in? i would love to get a set of 3.73s for it if its as simple as buying a rebuild kit. new to this, so id like to get your opinions before letting my mechanic touch it. thanks guys
Old 08-17-2015, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

with an auto a 10 bolt can last longer than an m6. if youre not going to race it youll be ok. i went with 4.10s when i had mine built. some will tell you gears arent worth it but i think they are.

mine cost a **** ton to rebuild so i keep hard launches to a minimum lol.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Teching In

is it as simple as buying a rebuild kit and having it installed? i saw somewhere a motive 373 kit for just under 200, so its its really as simple as that, im game. after reading all the posts here the 373 seem to be the happy medium for our autos, while 410s go to the m6s
Old 08-18-2015, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well being it's whining it already sounds like the bearings are toast. The motive 3.73 kit is just a ring and pinion, so you are going to need beatings, seals, gear kit at the minimum. Any banging from the rear means broken parts and being over half throttle and it feeling like something is slipping makes me feel more like something broke.

And yes a 10 bolt can survive on the street, but abuse is abuse and you don't have to be on a track to kill the 10 bolt. They don't like burnouts or sliding around, so as long as you don't do that they can last a little while.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Teching In

i was afraid of that my guys do pretty cheap work for me but i know this will hit the wallet pretty hard... nothing sounds too broken yet.. but the screechy whine is pretty bad. i guess ill have the verdict tomorrow, thanks guys.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

It would have been better asking/posting this in the 'gears and axles' section !
Old 08-18-2015, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Red face

id expect a complete rebuild based on what youre saying.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Teching In

yea sorry i wasnt really sure where to post it haha. and i was afraid of that guess ill find out soon enough......
Old 08-18-2015, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Understandable since you're new here. It's not too late to post it there. The users that look/frequent the gears and axles section will probably supply you with a lot of info/suggestions/corrections. After you post it there,I'll jump in with comments and others will too.

Quick Reply: Rear End Rebuild